Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD windshield woes - 09 Fat bob

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 08:57 AM
apblingAEW
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Seeing as I'm 6' tall I'd probably get the taller one anyway. I got a lead on an HD one on CL. It's in good shape, guy is asking $150. Figured I'd might take a shot at it.

I looked at the National Cycle one - I kind of don't care for the looks of it. Options are so limited with my dual headlight setup - but I really really like the looks of the twin lights...

Its just so crazy about this buffeting - 4 guys can have the same windshield, 1 says its amazing, 1 says its ok, 1 says its almost unbearable and one guy loses his sunglasses with it. Makes it really hard to find the right one.

Last edited by apblingAEW; 07-24-2015 at 08:59 AM.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:37 PM
Clearview Shields
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clearview Shields

Hello. Clearview Shields makes a replacement windshield to fit the HD Quick Release brackets from Harley Davidson for the Fat Bob. You can visit www.clearviewshields.com to see all of the available options and associated pricing. You can also test drive the windshield to make sure that it meets your expectations. The shield will have a protective film on it, and as long as this is not removed when you test drive, the shield would be fully returnable for an exchange windshield, or you can receive a refund. You would be responsible for any additional shipping charges. If you are interested, please order online or call me at 800 798 6089. Andy

Old 07-24-2015, 02:33 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by apblingAEW
So, I'm torn between the MS batwing and an HD windshield. The batwing is obviously more expensive in the end (with blinker relocate, painting, etc).

I'd like to stay with the HD windshields if possible - the wife just got one on her street bob and likes it, plus I have enough gift cards to buy one...But I am scared to death of buffetting. I would only use the shield for cold weather or long drives and I do wear a half helmet. I just don't want to drop $350 on a windshield and find out I hate it due to buffetting. I'm 6' tall and have a stock street bob solo seat on my fat bob. Not sure if the taller/skinnier shield would be better or the shorter fatter one... any words of wisdom?
I have a few Jack's Flaps left that will stop the buffeting, what size do you wear? Call me @ 318-658-2113--we'll talk

Old 07-24-2015, 07:29 PM
target64
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by apblingAEW
Seems very fairly priced. Got a photo of it on your bike?
here it is

Attached Thumbnails HD windshield woes - 09 Fat bob-shield.jpg  
Old 07-24-2015, 07:36 PM
apblingAEW
Road Captain
Default HD windshield woes - 09 Fat bob

Well I got the 15' HD one. I think it's buffeting from the bottom. I tried up and down adjustments. I can just feel a little rattling in my eye area. I feel like if I put my hand right above my gas cap that's where the wind is coming from.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:44 AM
Tnbrit
Road Captain
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Windshield Woes

Just a few meanderings,on my windscreen/Fairing experience & thoughts.I'm 5'9" & the below observations where with a 3/4 Open Face Harley/HJC helmet,with & without a visor.
My first Harley was an 01'FXDXT with the nose fairing,the buffeting was crazy couldn't get rid of it,that bad i sold it.
Next an 02'FLHCU,no buffeting,but with the lowers removed the buffeting started,sold it because was a heavy pig.
Next an 07'FXD with the Harley Detachable Touring screen,chronic buffeting(worse than the T-Sport),Bought a Full Face HJC helmet,still buffeting,but reduced,better without the screen.
I now have an 11'FXDF,no windscreen,however we only ride 400 ish mile days,so no short rides & is does get tiring(specially when you're old)so i would still like a screen "that worked",but can't convince myself what,or what height,etc,etc.
From the dozens of threads i've read it would seem lower deflectors may well be the answer,but once again i can't convince myself to buy whatever screen & lowers,might or might not work.
I have wandered if a pair of those Kury heat reflector shields(that fit under the tank) might stop the air coming up over the tank & reduce buffeting,if you try putting your hand on the edge of the Tank,it reduces the buffeting a lot.
This probably of much help or interest,but it's my two penneth.
Cheers,Graham.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:59 PM
Northern B
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtdobber
Bigger is not always better.
I have no buffeting with my small tombstone windshield. We have a freewheeler with the Roadking windshield, 20inch with recurve. We get great protection. On both our Dyna bikes I am using the tombstone with recurve. Very small. I have no buffeting with them.
Where did you get the recurve shields for the tombstone?

Thanks
B

Old 07-25-2015, 09:28 PM
apblingAEW
Road Captain

Well tested it out today on the hwy, maybe 150 miles at 75. my wife borrowed me her Wiley x foam glasses. The windshield is awesome! Yes some buffeting, but overall much much improvement. I'd be interested in making it better but at the moment it's much better.

Btw half helmet from HD. Hybrid type.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:46 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

I'll jump in... Bought a used HD QR windshield for cheap, knowing it would need new "glass" - ordered a 19" Memphis Shades replacement shield
Amazon.com: Memphis Shades 19 Inch Windshield Clear for Harley FXR XL FXD: Automotive Amazon.com: Memphis Shades 19 Inch Windshield Clear for Harley FXR XL FXD: Automotive
and used the existing HD hardware.

First ride today to work (short, low speed ride, 10min no more then 50mph) and I immediately noticed two things. Dramatic reduction of wind on the body, which would be good for long rides, but that damn buffeting in my face. I wear an Akoury half for rides around town, and it was annoying as hell. I'll get out during lunch for a highway speed blast, but I expect it'll be worse. I'm 6'2 on a tallboy seat, so I expect I'm in the bad zone of airflow over the top of the screen. On my old BMW R1200R I had a touring screen that was barely 14" tall and about 12" wide, and it seemed much smoother - but I always wore a FF lid, so maybe I never noticed it...

Not sure where I'm going to go with this. The screen is already big and stupid looking enough, I doubt I'll go higher. I may try a smaller screen, as I don't mind clean air in the face and I think a shorty screen may do it for me.

I like that National Cycles screen - looks very much like the BMW screen I mentioned.

Luckily I'm only in the HD screen about $200, which I should be able to recoup if/when I sell. Just add it to the pile of stuff destined for the classifieds...

Here it is btw.

Last edited by Mchad; 07-28-2015 at 08:08 AM.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:25 AM
apblingAEW
Road Captain

Mchad, my 15" sucks at like 50mph, but 65+ was fine. Some sunglasses buffeting, but I strapped my head strap tighter to hold them down and it was doable. I guess I'll take the greater good of no chest pressure with the lesser evil of some buffeting. Don't plan on leaving the shield on except for interstate riding anyway, seeing as I think it's ugly as all get out.

Quick Reply: HD windshield woes - 09 Fat bob