Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD windshield woes - 09 Fat bob

Old 07-23-2015, 10:51 AM
apblingAEW
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default HD windshield woes - 09 Fat bob

So, I'm torn between the MS batwing and an HD windshield. The batwing is obviously more expensive in the end (with blinker relocate, painting, etc).

I'd like to stay with the HD windshields if possible - the wife just got one on her street bob and likes it, plus I have enough gift cards to buy one...But I am scared to death of buffetting. I would only use the shield for cold weather or long drives and I do wear a half helmet. I just don't want to drop $350 on a windshield and find out I hate it due to buffetting. I'm 6' tall and have a stock street bob solo seat on my fat bob. Not sure if the taller/skinnier shield would be better or the shorter fatter one... any words of wisdom?

Old 07-23-2015, 11:08 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

My experience with Windvest was to send back the shorter one and get the tallest one they had. To me, head buffet and turbulence was way more important than arms in the wind.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:59 AM
Beatz
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heres my recent Windshield adventure. I started out with the Windvest. Excellent quality, and worth every penny. As HDPilot says, go with the tallest shield you can. But I just couldn't get over the odd look, plus it seemed to create more lower buffeting then I care for. Since I wasn't in love with the look, off it came.

Then I tried a Harley quick release with the clamps on the shield that I picked up for a song on Craigslist. Quality was subpar in my opinion, and had crazy top end buffeting. Hated it after the first mile. The plastic material they used seamed cheap/thin to me, almost like it belonged on a kids hot wheels. You could see it flex in heavy wind. The quick clamp system was innovative but did take a moment or two to line everything up, and did notice some scuffing on the forks.

Next up was the Batwing. Luckily I had a friend who has one and was able to mount it up and give it a try before making the purchase. This thing is huge, and certainly blocked the wind. But at over 70 miles an hour it really lifted my front end. Almost like a sail. It also looked very out of place on my Softail. Wasn't going to work. The Memphis Clamp system is nice enough, and everything seemed to be nice quality. I am sure on the rite bike it would work (Road King or Fatboy maybe).

Finally I tried the National Cycle Switchblade shields since you can use multiple shield lines with the same quick disconnect system. Finally hit the sweat spot. The shields and the hardware that stays on the bike are excellent. A bit better then the memphis hardware in my opinion. I started with the Switchblade "Shorty", which I use 95% of the time, and then picked up the tall "Spartan" for longer rides. Both are rock solid at speed and look pretty good on the bike. And takes less then a second to just pull it off or change it out. I may even grab their "2up" and "Defender" if i find a good ebay deal. I do still prefer no shield, but haven't taken a ride without one since. So finally found the one that worked for me.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:06 PM
apblingAEW
Road Captain

Thats my main fear - buying one that I think will work, dropping 350+, then hating it and being stuck with it!

Old 07-23-2015, 07:49 PM
target64
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

I have the national cycles shield on my fatbob and have modified the bottom so it sits closer to the headlights. works great, detaches in seconds and get very little buffering at highway speeds compared to the HD shield which I tried first.
will be most likely selling it in a couple weeks when my new fairing comes in.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:00 PM
apblingAEW
Road Captain

Target - I'd be interested if you sell. What model do you have?

Old 07-23-2015, 10:28 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Bigger is not always better.
I have no buffeting with my small tombstone windshield. We have a freewheeler with the Roadking windshield, 20inch with recurve. We get great protection. On both our Dyna bikes I am using the tombstone with recurve. Very small. I have no buffeting with them.
when we got our wide glide that is what was on it. Liked it so much I put one on the super glide.
I am going to try one on the freewheeler to see what it's like. If you have a bill on your helmet that makes it worse for buffeting.

Old 07-24-2015, 04:42 AM
target64
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by apblingAEW
Target - I'd be interested if you sell. What model do you have?
N2595B-01 Deflector Screen DX™

Old 07-24-2015, 06:17 AM
apblingAEW
Road Captain

Seems very fairly priced. Got a photo of it on your bike?

Old 07-24-2015, 08:31 AM
c-note
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Had a 15" QR windshield from the moco I bought from a forum member. Buffeting was so bad, second time I wore it my sunglasses flew off my face on the freeway. F That. Put it on eBay, sold it at a $20 loss and promptly invested in a t-sport fairing. I am VERY happy with that decision. I rock the t-sport and a full face full time now. Wouldn't go any other way.

IF you get the moco windshield, may I suggest the 19" rather than the 15".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HD windshield woes - 09 Fat bob