Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Wide Glide right for me?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 02:01 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by WideGlideFever
Based on your need to be able to drive on the autobahn I don't think a WG would serve you well. Other than that you can get it setup with the right seat, bars, and tires to make it very comfortable and a blast to ride. But its definitely no Liter bike so I don't know if that would deter you.
With more rake on the bike, mine runs on rails at speed, even with no hands-- very stable, and I raced when I was Much younger, so am familiar with speed over the century mark!-- not that I would ever exceed the speed limit-- bwa ha ha

Old 07-28-2015, 02:28 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jaxdwg
With more rake on the bike, mine runs on rails at speed, even with no hands-- very stable, and I raced when I was Much younger, so am familiar with speed over the century mark!-- not that I would ever exceed the speed limit-- bwa ha ha
I don't know from first hand experience, but from what I have heard, autobahn speeds easily hit 120-140mph, maybe OP can chime in with his personal experience and let us know how fast he plans on riding.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:38 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,095 Likes on 1,911 Posts

Originally Posted by bob kegogi
Wg front tire wears faster than rear tire. On my fxdl, two rears to one 14k for front.
Didn't on mine, 10,000 rear, 15,000 front. Niether one of them were completely wore out.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:56 PM
RexD
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WideGlideFever
I don't know from first hand experience, but from what I have heard, autobahn speeds easily hit 120-140mph, maybe OP can chime in with his personal experience and let us know how fast he plans on riding.
I would like to be able to go about at about 100 mph and still be stable enough on the bike to pass and be passed and to ride for hours.

Would the slim front wheel be stable enough and does the bike run fast enough and fairly comfortably at those speeds?

Thanks for your input so far.

/ Rex

Old 07-28-2015, 03:39 PM
bob kegogi
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the autobahn was codec talk for hauling on a freeway, then I noticed he's from Copenhagen. I've heard of people doing 130 mph w a stage 1 103, but personally, for me would be a once in a lifetime thing, even on my lowrider w upgraded suspension, and a fork brace. An r1 or something faster top end wise than a stock 103 Harley probably would be a better option

Old 07-28-2015, 03:43 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by RexD
I would like to be able to go about at about 100 mph and still be stable enough on the bike to pass and be passed and to ride for hours.--

Would the slim front wheel be stable enough and does the bike run fast enough and fairly comfortably at those speeds?

Thanks for your input so far.

/ Rex
With the six speed and a 90x90x21 front tire, I firmly believe 100mph would be no big deal at all-- I've run well in excess of that with the 5 speed I have. Quick story: was on Kyle petty ride with officers leading and following the 200+ bikes on the ride-- about 2 miles front to rear. Was on freeway in Wyoming and no other vehicles allowed between front and rear of caravan. I decided to open it up on the 6 lane, laid out on seat. Went by the front and looked in my mirror-- here comes Matt Kenseth and Geoff Greene ( NASCAR drivers) on their baggers, two up, and being that mine was stock and theirs were HOT, they went by like I was parked. They thought I was racing-- over drinks later, we all laughed when I told them I didn't even know it was them, I was just seeing what mine would do, because I knew I couldn't get busted. And I was solo-- true story

Last edited by jaxdwg; 07-28-2015 at 03:46 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:11 PM
bob kegogi
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Doing 100 mph, no problem, I've cruised up to Tucson from San Diego, doing 80-90 mph, stretches at 100 plus. The stock gearing is set up to do 100. But a stage 1 at that point is recommended. The rake on the wide glide actually helps stabilize at higher speeds, after a few months the front end suspension brakes in and softens up a lil. good springs and fluid help out at that point, or very least some 10-15 wgt

Old 07-28-2015, 04:58 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bob kegogi
Doing 100 mph, no problem, I've cruised up to Tucson from San Diego, doing 80-90 mph, stretches at 100 plus. The stock gearing is set up to do 100. But a stage 1 at that point is recommended. The rake on the wide glide actually helps stabilize at higher speeds, after a few months the front end suspension brakes in and softens up a lil. good springs and fluid help out at that point, or very least some 10-15 wgt
Also, going up a tooth or two on the front sprocket, 100 would be almost nothing on the wg. The only stability thing I've ever encountered is hanging a u turn on a skinny road, real slow-- as compared to others without the extra rake, I just have to pay a little more attention

Old 07-28-2015, 05:05 PM
ajrocket
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you need a used street bob and a used zx10r.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:22 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Not much more to add, I dont think i have had mine over 90mph yet. Not that i dont like speed but I just dont have the comfort level to go that fast on my WG, I dont think apes help (parachute effect).

MCII tires are working great for me; feels very stable, front tire doesnt follow every little track in the road and I feel like I still have plenty of grip in the rain.

I dont know bro, if speed is a major factor in your decision you really need to see if you can test ride a WG and see if its comfortable to you at those speeds. A lot of coin to drop and then find out it doesnt suit your needs.

However....even if a WG doesnt suit your speed needs, I have no doubt that you would still enjoy the hell out of it! It is such a blast to ride, especially when you get it exactly where you want it, comfort wise!

Quick Reply: Is Wide Glide right for me?