Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damn Starter

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 12:02 PM
bobnehoc
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Had the same issue on my 07 Low Rider. Replaced the ring gear with one from Evolution Industries ($150) and a new starter clutch from All ***** ($80). Add in gaskets and one time use bolts only for the inner primary. Took a few hours and the ring gear is pressed on. Heated it up with a torch and placed the new ring gear in the oven at 350 for about 30 minutes. Not too bad of a job to do....

Old 08-20-2015, 07:06 PM
DaleMc0622
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Ordered a 1.4 All ***** starter, complete, new clutch basket and clutch hub, plates are good and new battery, only HD piece is the clutch hub and I am regretting it already. The mechanic is Harley certified independent and been a very good mechanic for years so I am having him do it. I hope I don't regret the Harley part. The way these pieces looked with only 10000 miles on the bike I didn't have much confidence that new ones would last much longer. May be a little overkill but I want it done right and I don't have to time or tools. Like I said in a earlier post, at least I finally get the inner primary powdered, pricey way to get there but no blowback from the wife. This is my first bike and may be my only, I enjoy riding much more than I thought so the extra money doesn't hurt "as much". Thanks for all the input guys.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:44 PM
moosehunter22
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DaleMc0622
Dropped it off, it was still making the same noise. Mechanic said it sounds like the starter, possible just the starter clutch. He noticed something I did not notice and that is the engine light and speedo light were not coming on when the key was turned or fuel pump engaged, he said probably "not" likely but could be the battery voltage? going to check that first. I will post the final findings.
Had a similar problem with mine. Starter would make a cracking noise or kickback noise every once in a while, finally crapped out on me and seized up everything in primary, the bike wouldn't roll in any gear. Took off primary to find the starter had ripped a tooth off the clutch fly wheel. Hopefully an easy fix and the tooth that was knocked off didn't cause any more damage in there. Here is a couple pics

Old 08-23-2015, 04:52 PM
DaleMc0622
Tourer

no pic's but mine was missing three teeth in a row and then two singles further around. should be back on it this week.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:22 PM
DaleMc0622
Tourer

Okay, I picked the bike up today, starts great, runs good, "Except" The speedometer isn't working. The indicator lights below it, (turn signal etc) work but the needle does not move, when you turn the key on none of the idiot lights on the speedometer face come on and neither does the speedo light. while riding when you get to 6th gear the little green 6 doesn't light up. Fuse? maybe? it appears that some how the fuses box got wet while the cover was off, could water in there be the problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by DaleMc0622; 08-28-2015 at 08:56 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:49 PM
DaleMc0622
Tourer

well, there is power to the plug so it looks like the speedo chit the bed, it has always gotten condensation inside the glass and I noticed an "electrical" type smell from the plug, like slightly burnt. I ordered the Dakota digital as a replacement, only about $40 more that the dealer wanted for the OEM replacement. Another mod before its time. I hope to get in some riding before I empty my savings.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:26 PM
DaleMc0622
Tourer

Well, received the speedometer today and I really wanted to slap it in and ride after work, today was first day with no rain in two weeks. Well after thinking about it and reviewing my recent luck I decided to wait, I bought all new fuses and plan to clean all of the fuse ports and get rid of the dirt and crust to ensure I get good connection. I also need to check the wire harnesses near the starter and make sure the mechanic didn't accidently pinch one and cause the old speedo to quit. Maybe a ride this weekend, better safe than sorry I guess. Anyone think of anything else that may have caused the old one to stop working, don't want to screw up the new one. Plug has power coming to both orange wires.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:39 PM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

http://cycleplicity.com/products/689..._big_twin.aspx

Had the scary grind, didn't wait too long and picked up the all ***** starter clutch.
Installed myself and has been good since.
If cars had to have their starters repaired at 20K there would be a major recall.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:43 PM
DaleMc0622
Tourer

Okay, I decided to take the old speedometer apart and look it over. Below you can see why she stopped working. I have cleaned all the fuse connections and checked all wires and found non pinched. I hope what we see below was a fluck and doesn't happen to the new one.

Old 09-03-2015, 04:44 PM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Wow you had some bad luck, condensation was the culprit.
Hope all goes better for you.

Quick Reply: Damn Starter