Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

internal wiring on stock bars

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 02:38 PM
buellrider76
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default internal wiring on stock bars

So I am putting this roadglide fairing on my streetbob and I decided to go ahead and run the wiring internal to the stock handlebars. I know there are multiple ways to do this but this is what I did.

Once I had the controls removed from the handle bars I followed the cabling down into the neck. I removed the tank to allow better access to the wiring. There is a black plastic cover that snaps in place on the bottom side of the frame backbone. Once this is removed you can access the wiring. CAREFULLY pull the wiring out so that you can access the connectors. The larger black connector is the left hand controls, the gray is the right hand control and the two smaller black connectors are the turn signals. The hand controls are Molex connectors. There are multiple posts on this forum on them.

I depinned the connectors and carefully pulled the wires up through the neck and out. I separated the turn signal wires from the handlebar controls so that I could move them to a different location. I cut them at the signal housing and put a new connector on from Harley. I used a step drill and a vise to drill the handlebars, both sides at the end of the dimple and in the middle bottom. Make sure to mark where you want the wires to exit before you pull the bars off the bike. I drilled, tested, and drilled some more until I was satisfied that the wire could be pulled through. I used a small file to clean the edges and started to fish the wire bundle through.

Now...just to be clear, the right/easy way is to fish new wires through and them pin and rebuild the connectors. I didn't opt to do it that way. I pulled the already pinned stock wires in the loom through the bars. It works. It took about two hours with my wife and I both gently pushing and pulling to get it all through. The flexible shielding kept bunching up so we had to do a lot of back and forth to coax it through. In the end we got it and I think it was worth the effort.