Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear turn signal/ plate relocation

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 10:14 PM
dpoll995
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bountyhunter2099
I went with this set up from Harley.

0826151613 by bountyhunter2099, on Flickr

i have the harley relocation kit, you can kinda see it in my sig pic. i just dont like how the plate sits on the tube kit. i just ordered the customs dynamics plate frame and the kuryakyn bracket, this will also leave me the option to add another brake light to the under sider of the fender. was thinking of the DK customs slim tail light.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:33 AM
Bountyhunter2099
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got ya.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:37 AM
Jesse_81
Road Captain

1+ on the Sick Saddles Solo. That's what I run. Ed is a great guy to deal with as well.

As far as the plate I've been running this setup for the last year. Just another example of what you can do with it.

Rear turn signal/ plate relocation-20150321_011420.jpg

Rear turn signal/ plate relocation-20150807_164741.jpg

Old 08-28-2015, 08:55 AM
dpoll995
Cruiser

How bright is it in the day time?

Old 08-28-2015, 08:56 AM
Rumblin
Supporter
Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Jesse_81
1+ on the Sick Saddles Solo. That's what I run. Ed is a great guy to deal with as well.

]
+1 on the Sick Saddles Solo!

Old 08-28-2015, 10:45 AM
Jesse_81
Road Captain

Originally Posted by dpoll995
How bright is it in the day time?
They're pretty damn bright for just a small strip.

Here's a pic that was caught while I was riding so I zoomed it in on just the plate. This is just the running/taillight at about high-noon from a few lanes over and from the side. Kind of give you an idea of how bright they are. Night time they're really bright IMO.

Attached Thumbnails Rear turn signal/ plate relocation-img_72906487142161.jpg  
Old 08-28-2015, 10:49 AM
dpoll995
Cruiser

Another question. Did you just drill holes in the fender and bolt it down to mount the plate frame?

Originally Posted by Jesse_81
They're pretty damn bright for just a small strip.

Here's a pic that was caught while I was riding so I zoomed it in on just the plate. This is just the running/taillight at about high-noon from a few lanes over and from the side. Kind of give you an idea of how bright they are. Night time they're really bright IMO.

Old 08-28-2015, 11:14 AM
Jesse_81
Road Captain

Another question. Did you just drill holes in the fender and bolt it down to mount the plate frame?
Yes, I just drilled the holes in the fender and deburred them with a small counter sink. I also used small hard rubber washers in between the fender and the plate frame just to be sure it doesn't vibrate and make noise.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:54 PM
sknyfats
Road Captain

I just found what I think to a better looking and cheaper relocation kit, better than the Harley kit with the tubes. I have the Harley kit and I hate it. I came across this on custom dynamics site. It's a plate frame that is curved and has tail lights, brake lights, turn sigs, and plate light. It's also curved at 12 degrees so it looks like it would bolt right up to the kuryakyn rear plate holder. The only thing on the rear fender would be the license plate and frame. Anyone used this type of frame? Opinions? Thanks

http://www.customdynamics.com/Images/IMG_5738.JPG
Here's my spin at the plate relocate - but I wanted to keep the bullets for better lighting (have Custom Dynamics LED's in them).

In order to use the quick detach kit for a sissy bar, I went with the Kuryakyn laydown curved plate mount and than the Custom Dynamics curved LED plate frame. I think Kuryakyn sells a matching LED curved plate frame, but couldn't find it when placing my order, so I used what I had.

I like it. Frame isn't a perfect match, and the LED wire from the frame was being pinched by my plate, so I ground a section down, taped it to the back of the plate and drilled a 4th hole in the fender (plate mount needed 3) to route the LED wire.

I also had to use longer bolts to mount the frame to the plate mount and ended up trimming the ends of the frame mounting bolts because I felt they stuck out of my fender too far (I'm lowered an inch with a lowering block kit) and didn't like the potential tire damage if I bottomed out.

I'm pretty happy. Got a little creative with my wiring and ensuring it'll all stay secure for the duration. Fun little project. Nothing like drilling into a brand new fender! I prefer the solo setup, but had to have the right 2-up stuff available for the wife.

Pics are crap - plate really is centered just fine - but you get the idea. I like this better than the alternatives. If I ever change it up I'll french it in.

Last edited by sknyfats; 08-30-2015 at 11:01 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:03 PM
dpoll995
Cruiser

ended up just bolting it straight to the fender. it was painful drilling holes in brand new paint, even my wife asked me why the hell was i messing up my paint! in the pic its a little crooked but i have adjusted it since then. i think its pretty clean looking flat on the fender.

Quick Reply: Rear turn signal/ plate relocation