Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna Lo Rider or Fatboy Lo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 09:29 AM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 672 Likes on 372 Posts
Default Dyna Lo Rider or Fatboy Lo?

I am 5'8" and presently riding a 1200T Sportster. Love the Sportster but thinking of upgrading to a somewhat larger bike for two reasons: a) more stability on the freeway; and b) I want ABS brakes. Frankly, if my Sportster had come with ABS brakes I probably would not be upgrading. I have made up my mind that I have to have ABS brakes. Since I am going to upgrade, figured I might as well get a bigger bike for a bit more freeway stability, although my beloved Sportster handles the freeway quite well.

It is very important to me that I can flat-foot the bike at stops and when parking. The Fatboy Low and the Lowrider both accommodate this.

I am leaning towards the Lowrider, but since this will likely be my last bike I want to make the right decision.

I am a bit concerned about what I've read about the "Dyna Death Wobble" but can't seem to figure out what that is all about.

On the other hand the Fatboy has the counter-balancer, which the Dyna does not have or need. So that's a consideration.

I like chrome, and it appears that the 2016 Fatboys are blackout styled, which I do not like. So that's a consideration.

I ride freeways, as well as narrow highways with moderate twisties, and city riding. So being able to maneuver is important. My Sportster is great for this and after 15 months of riding it I can thread a needle with it. I want a bike that is similarly maneuverable.

Any and all comments appreciated.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:41 AM
fatboy slim
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems to me that you are looking for a reason to justify the change of bike, ABS, better stability etc. IMHO it is enough reason to change, simply because you want to try another bike for a while, and don't say it will be your last ride, because when you get tired of this one you'll be looking again, both for another ride, and another reason to justify changing.

As for which ride, well I'd have thought that at your height you would be equally at home on a standard height softail, which will give you a significantly better ride quality than a lowered bike. If anything go with the standard suspension and a reduced reach saddle. I mistakenly bought the Deluxe thinking it was the full height softail, and when I discovered the dealership had caught me off guard I changed to shocks to the HD comfort shocks, as standard on much of the softail range and the ride and handling were greatly improved.

I can't speak for the Dyna as I've never ridden one, but again just my opinion but a short shock cannot give as good a ride as a standard length shock, it's just a matter of physics.

Having said all that, I put ride quality before looks, and the lowered look is something that many prefer, especially if the bike is not their main mode of transportation as it is with me.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:44 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,138 Likes on 6,209 Posts

Originally Posted by Redlegvzv
I am 5'8" and presently riding a 1200T Sportster. Love the Sportster but thinking of upgrading to a somewhat larger bike for two reasons: a) more stability on the freeway; and b) I want ABS brakes. Frankly, if my Sportster had come with ABS brakes I probably would not be upgrading. I have made up my mind that I have to have ABS brakes. Since I am going to upgrade, figured I might as well get a bigger bike for a bit more freeway stability, although my beloved Sportster handles the freeway quite well. It is very important to me that I can flat-foot the bike at stops and when parking. The Fatboy Low and the Lowrider both accommodate this. I am leaning towards the Lowrider, but since this will likely be my last bike I want to make the right decision. I am a bit concerned about what I've read about the "Dyna Death Wobble" but can't seem to figure out what that is all about. On the other hand the Fatboy has the counter-balancer, which the Dyna does not have or need. So that's a consideration. I like chrome, and it appears that the 2016 Fatboys are blackout styled, which I do not like. So that's a consideration. I ride freeways, as well as narrow highways with moderate twisties, and city riding. So being able to maneuver is important. My Sportster is great for this and after 15 months of riding it I can thread a needle with it. I want a bike that is similarly maneuverable. Any and all comments appreciated.
The regular Fat Boy is not very much taller than the Lo or the S and is chromed out, including the wheels. Regardless it is the wrong bike for how you want to ride. It is big, heavy, wide, and has limited lean angles. Sure it can be ridden on the twisties, but not like your sportster.

The big twin that is most like your Sportster is the Street Bob. They have a very attractive price and most people view them as a blank slate. You can get mid controls or forward controls on it. The seat height on it is pretty low on it as well. For 2016, you can get a black engine or a chrome engine using the HD1 bike builder.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:54 AM
Dobietrainer
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I learned to never say never (I'll never sell this bike). My current ride is a 2014 Low Rider. I'm 65 yrs old and and it is the perfect bike for me at this time. Is an excellent run around time and short day trips. I have never experienced any wobble or head shake. Granted I've never had it up to 100 but was stable at 85.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:13 AM
dlporter
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I am 5'7" and I have a 2015 Low Rider. My feet are flat on the ground at stops, and I've had it up to about 95 mph with no instability issues. I have also sat on a Fat Boy at the dealership and it feels lower than my Low Rider. I think you would be fine on a standard Fat Boy.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:24 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,248 Likes on 11,136 Posts

Since you are in Southern California, you have a huge selection of dealers that you can rent from. I suggest you rent each for a day Or more . That should help with your decision.

I know Biggs in San Marco has a Fat Boy...not a Lo though...for rent, because I'm renting next Friday when my TriGlide is in for some upgrades. I'm thinking I might have room for a smaller more nimble brother to my TriGlide. I've already rented a Dyna Street Bob...and convinced myself that my 6'1" 145 pound @ss needs a bit more room. With just a test ride I probably wouldn't have discovered how much I needed forward controls.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:33 AM
MAJ Ethanolic
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I love the Fat Boy Lo. Will likely be my next bike. The foot platforms are awesome.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:57 AM
kchaile
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the way you like to ride, it sounds to me that you would be happier on a Dyna (keep in mind this may not be an unbiased opinion given you asked this question on a Dyna forum to a bunch of Dyna fans/fanatics).

I went from a Sporty to a Dyna Street Bob a couple years ago and couldn't be happier. You can still lean her into turns and go thru the twisters but the bike is much more stable on the highway.

As has been said before - it is personal taste and you should test ride a few and see what fits you.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:00 PM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 672 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by dlporter
I am 5'7" and I have a 2015 Low Rider. My feet are flat on the ground at stops, and I've had it up to about 95 mph with no instability issues. I have also sat on a Fat Boy at the dealership and it feels lower than my Low Rider. I think you would be fine on a standard Fat Boy.
Guys, as an FYI I test rode a Dyna Switchback and a Fatboy (standard) and went with the Fatboy. The Fatboy is nimble, powerful, and really easy to ride. Put 200 miles on her this weekend, being careful to follow break-in procedure, and the bike is even easier to ride and maneuver than my Sportster was. Just an FYI.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:35 PM
Super08
Supporter
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

My '14 Low Rider has a shimmy that starts around 110-115 mph. Fast enough that it is not a concern to me. I rarely get up that high and it has not been something that is going to cause me to crash as it is not violent.

Quick Reply: Dyna Lo Rider or Fatboy Lo?