Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple of questions on stage 1

Old 08-28-2015, 06:17 AM
Julia's Dad
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Couple of questions on stage 1

I am thinking about doing the stage 1 to my 2013 FXDB during the winter off-season and I went to the local dealer to get some quotes.

In the process I got confused, because the dealer says that they cannot do the ECM recalibration without me buying the SE tuner. http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...ance-tuner-kit. I thought that ECM recalibration would be possible for the dealer without this? Have I thought wrong or is the dealer trying to con me?

I would also appreciate advice on the intake type? I have seen pics here where some screws have gotten loose inside the air filter and ended up in the motor through the intake. Not a scenario I would like to repeat. That is why I have been initially thinking about the heavy breather.

Would be very grateful for any advice.

(Just a sidenote that the quote with SE Heavy Breather & SE tuner alone added up to 650 € (730 $) and dealer installed 1050 € (1180 $). Just a note that the HD parts are much more expensive here than in US.
I think that I can get a better deal by ordering for example power vision and intake directly from US and paying the delivery & customs. I think I can do the work by myself.)

Old 08-28-2015, 07:03 AM
dpoll995
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Get what ever air cleaner you like, they all pretty much do the same thing. I had a SE chisel air cleaner, I really liked how it looks but I ended up switching to a DK air cleaner for more leg room. Got tired of banging my knee on the SE. The dealer want to sell you the SE tuner so they can tune the bike after installing pipes and air cleaner, if you want to buy a SE tuner, get the race tuner. It cost more but it suppose to be a little better. I bought the SE race tuner, air cleaner, and pipes at the dealer all when I bought the bike. If I could do it again I would have just bought the bike and then bought all the parts later. I think I would have gone for the power vision tuner, I think it cost more too, but it's something that you can use to tune your bike by yourself. The SE race tuner is part number 32109-08C, it's not in the online store. They sell it from the SE race catalog.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:35 AM
dpoll995
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Another tuner you might consider is the Vance & Hines. Here is a thread on the VH tuner

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...installed.html

Old 08-28-2015, 07:47 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

I can't speak to delivery or customs charges but I can tell you that the install is quite easy even for someone who has never done it before. Pretty standard tools are all that is required. I too went with the DK customs air cleaner for clearance and looks. I use the V&H fp3 tuner which allows you to adjust the tune as well and is blue tooth based and would be available for your 2013. Some would also say that you would not need a tuner if just doing the intake but I assume you would be adding pipes as well if not now then later. Plus I felt the tuner helped even with stock pipes

Old 08-28-2015, 03:29 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

They(HD Dealership) could just flash a Stage 1 map into your ECM for a lot less but it is not worth it. Just get the Power Vision from Fuel Moto with a preinstalled map for your set up. As said earlier, pretty much any air cleaner that suits your eye will work - installed correctly should be very safe/reliable. Take your time if buying pipes, a lot to consider besides looks.

Old 08-28-2015, 03:49 PM
NPoulos24
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree power vision tuner is way better do it yourself its not rocket science and you know what you did paying the dealer and hoping they don't have a newb working on your bike or a pissed off employee that doesn't care no thanks its your bike and life only you know what you are capable of but you will feel better doing it yourself

Old 08-28-2015, 03:54 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

I've got the DK also. Also have the SE Race or Pro, whichever it's called. As far as the loose bolts go all you have to do is put some blue Loctite on the bolts. That goes for any intake you want. As others have said it's pretty much the looks that decide which intake you go with. I do personally like the DK because your motor doesn't breathe warm oil.
If you do plan on doing other mods, i.e. cams, headwork etc., I would go with a tuner that you can update yourself. That way you can adjust for these as they come along. Which you can do with the SE tuner, it just means you will be paying them each time for it.

Old 08-28-2015, 04:05 PM
zamiam
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reasonably easy to do yourself. I did mine and I've very limited mechanical know how. Bought PCV and Stage 1 AC off Fuelmoto and pipes elsewhere, imported them and installed myself. Current bike has SE Tuner and had Stage 1 SE AC but swapped that out for Arlen Ness Big Mouth which I imported and installed myself for more knee space. Do it yourself, money saved equates to more bits for your bike

Last edited by zamiam; 08-28-2015 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:38 PM
mibeaulieu
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with doing it yourself. Simple hand tools and a couple hours and you can do the pipes, air cleaner and remap your ECM using power vision. The nice thing about power vision is that you can "auto tune" your scoot to dial it in where it's just about perfect. It's super simple to use and you can use it on multiple bikes for a small license fee. The SERT is just the beginning... then you have to pay the dyno tech... then if it's not right, you have to pay them again. Also, if you do this yourself - you can do it on a Friday night and rip it up Saturday am. If you go SERT with the dealer, you have to drop it off, wait until it's done, then get there to pick it up...