Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDX-T Finishing Harley's work

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 07:58 AM
Vonswanko
Road Master
Received 114 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by fhilliard
Did you put the turn signal clamps above the lower triple clamp or above it? Any more pix?
Above the tree. The instructions say below, but I just flipped them over.

Last edited by Vonswanko; 08-29-2015 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Pictures
Old 08-29-2015, 08:46 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 614 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by ToffeeBrown
1. Vincent Black Princes sucked.
2. Its going to be extremely uncomfortable to cruise on that bike, which is what it is made for. Higher bars make it even more comfortable.
3. What do you think you have figured out? How to make a good bike suck?

I agree.

Old 08-29-2015, 11:57 AM
fhilliard
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Above the tree

Originally Posted by Vonswanko
Above the tree. The instructions say below, but I just flipped them over.
Thanks for this. I'll post some pictures when I get the parts and change over.

Old 08-29-2015, 10:53 PM
Carl '69
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 694 Likes on 338 Posts

K&N used to have a nice "Superbike" bend with a 2 1/2" rise. Used 'em on my '94 Sportster & with the taller/beefed-up suspension, it really put you on top of & in-control of the bike. Even rode to Sturgis, from NC with those bars.

But what do I know? Running 14" apes on my '02 FXD & love 'em.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:12 PM
bl_dg
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I've just purchased a slightly rough 2002 Dyna Super Glide T-Sport and am having it serviced for the first time in years.

After its first wash, things don't look too bad

Now here's my question. When I looked around for lower handlebar options I found that no one has lowered their handlebars. Check out the FXDXT pictures on Google and you'll see plenty that are higher, none lower. That means there are also no pictures of turn signals being re-positioned under the fairing and no pictures with longer mirror stalks. I'm amazed. Surely in country of 319 Million people, there must be one person who tried to finish the job Harley started in creating a "standard" motorcycle. Just for reference the stock bar is black, 7 inches high, 31 wide, with a pullback of 9 inches; all with dimples. I'm thinking of switching to an Iron 883 bar which is black, 3.75 inches high, 28.5 inches wide with a pullback of 4.75 inches.

The net effect of this change will tip me forward a bit, tuck me in more behind the fairing and give me a lower profile. It will also call for a lower windscreen, plus the turn signal and mirror changes mentioned earlier. I just can't believe I'm the first person to figure this out; it's so obvious. Take a look at a Vincent Black Prince for a reference to another remarkably similar bike.

Nice T-Sport! Good luck with your mods. I'm putting a T-Sport fairing on my Wide Glide and decided to go with the Fat Bob drag bars and 6" pull back risers. Still working on it, but pics are here:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...r-sport-4.html

Go for it!

Old 10-12-2015, 03:40 PM
fhilliard
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've made some progress since I first started this thread. Here's what my FXDXT looks like now.

First set of Mods on my FXDXT are hard to see

OK, the obvious one is the seat height has been increased about four inches. Secondly, the handlebars have been switched for a set from an 883 Iron. This meant the turn signals had to be moved. I replaced them with a small LED set on the fairing. Also new is a Cee Bailey windscreen that is five inches shorter than stock. The fork brace has now gone, the highway bars and their support have been dumped, there's no more external oil gauge and the Throttlemeister is gone. What you can't see is that all the brakes had to be rebuilt and a control module had to be added to make the front turn signals blink.

You can see the T-Sport bezel is missing. My mechanic and I are having a debate on how to stick it on. Harley just slaps it on the crinkle coat (I checked), but he says the surface should be sandblasted flat. Any suggestions? Over the winter he's going to find a way to move the controls back five inches. Not easy, I know. I'm not looking for a rear set, but rather just to get the pegs more under me than in front.

This is my first big Harley and it's certainly the most comfortable bike I've ever owned; like a Buick. It also proves the saying: torque is a lot more fun than horsepower.

Last edited by fhilliard; 10-12-2015 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:43 PM
ToffeeBrown
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I am going to cry haha...

Old 10-12-2015, 04:22 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by ToffeeBrown
I think I am going to cry haha...
Yep...

Old 10-12-2015, 08:29 PM
Odelay
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've made some progress since I first started this thread. Here's what my FXDXT looks like now.

First set of Mods on my FXDXT are hard to see

OK, the obvious one is the seat height has been increased about four inches. Secondly, the handlebars have been switched for a set from an 883 Iron. This meant the turn signals had to be moved. I replaced them with a small LED set on the fairing. Also new is a Cee Bailey windscreen that is five inches shorter than stock. The fork brace has now gone, the highway bars and their support have been dumped, there's no more external oil gauge and the Throttlemeister is gone. What you can't see is that all the brakes had to be rebuilt and a control module had to be added to make the front turn signals blink.

You can see the T-Sport bezel is missing. My mechanic and I are having a debate on how to stick it on. Harley just slaps it on the crinkle coat (I checked), but he says the surface should be sandblasted flat. Any suggestions? Over the winter he's going to find a way to move the controls back five inches. Not easy, I know. I'm not looking for a rear set, but rather just to get the pegs more under me than in front.

This is my first big Harley and it's certainly the most comfortable bike I've ever owned; like a Buick. It also proves the saying: torque is a lot more fun than horsepower.
Wow man. I am usually totally on the side of "your bike, your mods", but I do hope you understand you are also totally ruining the resale value of this bike. What you have is a rare bike that was considered an instant classic, but what you're talking about doing is like hard tailing an FXR, it will just make it a completely different bike and pretty much ruin any value that you would be able to get out of it in the future. Others made a good point when they said that there is a reason why people haven't done the mods that you are talking about.

I hope you can find/build the bike you want, but it breaks my heart to see you do that to such a beautiful machine.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:34 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,522 Likes on 6,637 Posts

Everything looks fine except that seat. I can't get past that seat. It looks like something off an amusement park ride.

Quick Reply: FXDX-T Finishing Harley's work