Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Bob for longer fast highway rides? Or is V-rod the only choice?

Old 08-29-2015, 04:35 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Street Bob for longer fast highway rides? Or is V-rod the only choice?

I've gone 115mph and just past it on my Street Bob, but not for extended periods. It was a 103 and had cams since new, so I can't speak for stock motors. I think the bike will do it, but other things are the real issue.

Zero wind protection and a shield won't hold up at those speeds. 115-120mph is fun for a short while with no wind protection, but will beat the crap out of a rider that isn't tucked in tight.

Stock Dyna suspension is crap. At sustained speeds over 100mph, you'll wallow all over the road or work your *** of preventing it. You'll want good-to-great shocks and a front-end upgrade. Oh, and solid handlebar bushings.

The rubber mounted motor at the swingarm pivot is another weak point. You'll need a Sputhe or TrueTrack stabilizer. Every Dyna acts different, but wobble is a potential hazard without a stabilizer.

Frankly, dozens of bikes would do this task better, but if it's what you want, sure, it will do it.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:30 PM
bigjames4xl
Tourer
Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

If you gotta have a Harley the Vrod will run 115 easily, and forever! I ran 135 on mine with a full size road king windshield, easily! Not many places around here to run like that for long but the bike would do it!

Last edited by bigjames4xl; 08-29-2015 at 07:40 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:15 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

The vrod is better suited for what you what. I have run my dyna across multiple states at 100 mph and the motor is not stressed at all. I have buried the speedo at 120 on dynas and fxr but I have never sustained that speed for very long. The bike can do it but the vrod will do it better.

This guy is not asking what "non harley" he should ride.

Andrews makes a 34 tooth tranny sprocket if you decide to go with the dyna, that would help a lot at those speeds but you will lose a lot of acceleration .

Also, Baker I think can do custom gear sets , I think they even have a 7 speed now. Maybe they can do a deep overdrive.

Anyway, have fun and stiffen up those motor mounts at that speed too

Old 08-30-2015, 12:01 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 430 Likes on 258 Posts

I've done thousands of miles on a 111hp 103 T-Sport, had it over 200kph many times but not sustained; in my opinion not a good choice for high speed riding even modified...no comparison to, say, a BMW...
Impossible in North America to ride at autobahn speed for long; I've also ridden an SE V-Rod over 160kph and that bike was far more suited to what you want to do from what I experienced.

Old 08-30-2015, 03:12 AM
AQA101
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RexD
How would a street bob do for longer highway rides on the autobahn with cruising speeds of 115 mph (180 kmh)?
Without a fairing, 180 km/h would probably blow you off the SB. For me, 150 is the upper reasonable limit, with quarter fairing. I've seen a V-Rod doing 205 over a longer piece of autobahn though, quite impressive.

Besides that, even at 180 the faster cars would merely consider you a roadblock, so better rent a Ducati.

Old 08-30-2015, 06:14 AM
modular
Stellar HDF Member

Received 285 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by XFXDX
Can't tell if serious, or...

That's a rad looking V-Rod! I'd like to take it for a ride. Always thought they went better with the rear sets...
Totally serious. That Street Rod is one of the few bikes I have had that I wish I would have kept. It did a lot of things very well. The VRSCR was only made for 2 model years.

Old 08-30-2015, 07:46 AM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

When someone says BS it makes me think they have never pushed their bike,
I have a detachable windshield, upgraded motor mounts, upgraded front end, shocks.
My setup is just fine for doing 100 plus.
I personally would get a sport bike for that trip.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:35 AM
hallfleming
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

laughed out loud at the pirate comment. so true!

Originally Posted by ZROADSTER
Of course you know that to ride a Harley you have to dress like a pirate . At a sustained highway speed of 115 MPH on a Harley SB with your little half shell helmet on & sun glasses I figure you might last for about 10 miles if your a teenager ! Plus , depending on what time of the day it is , the first big bug that hits you in the face will draw blood !
LOL .

Old 08-30-2015, 08:51 PM
203Cree
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
The key word in the street bob...is "street". Not "autobahn" bob. I'm with the others that suggest the VRod if you want a Harley.

Edit add: warning...there is math involved. My calculations of the Street Bob with a final overall gear ratio of 2.79:1, versus my TriGlide of 3.157:1.

The Street Bob has a 14.4% lower final gear ratio than my TriGlide. My Tri Glide does 3,000 RPMs at 73MPH, so scaled to 100 Mph...it would be doing 4,110 RPMs at 100. Therefore...scaling my RPM to the Street Bob...the Street Bob would be doing 4,684 RPMs at 100 MPH!!

Yeah...it can do it..but for a sustained period of time, that sucker would hurt, and things would be flying off.

I can't speak for the VRod...but my math above suggests the Street Bob...is the wrong choice.
Your math is off. 3k on a Dyna in 6th gear is about 82 mph. 100 Mph is about 3600 on the tach. I can bury the speedo and make the needle bounce before I cross 5000. So it would do it just fine with some motor work. A stocker would be wheezing I'd think at those speeds.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:22 PM
Gadgetech
Club Member
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

All I know is you better get a seat that will hold you in if you plan on maintaining those speeds.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Street Bob for longer fast highway rides? Or is V-rod the only choice?