Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Bob for longer fast highway rides? Or is V-rod the only choice?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 11:22 PM
5150northrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 171 Posts
Default When I said BS

Originally Posted by stilup
When someone says BS it makes me think they have never pushed their bike,
I have a detachable windshield, upgraded motor mounts, upgraded front end, shocks.
My setup is just fine for doing 100 plus.
I personally would get a sport bike for that trip.
It was from experience and a open mind! But that's ok! Some people will use a hammer when a screw driver is needed! Lol keep hitting it it will come loose!

Old 08-30-2015, 11:36 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hell hound
The vrod is better suited for what you what. I have run my dyna across multiple states at 100 mph and the motor is not stressed at all. I have buried the speedo at 120 on dynas and fxr but I have never sustained that speed for very long. The bike can do it but the vrod will do it better.

This guy is not asking what "non harley" he should ride.

Andrews makes a 34 tooth tranny sprocket if you decide to go with the dyna, that would help a lot at those speeds but you will lose a lot of acceleration .

Also, Baker I think can do custom gear sets , I think they even have a 7 speed now. Maybe they can do a deep overdrive.

Anyway, have fun and stiffen up those motor mounts at that speed too
I have the 34 tooth on my 02 wg, with 95", cams, heads, blah blah and it will pull that gear just fine.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:45 PM
MT3*7*77
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it had to be a Harley, I would go with the V Rod. I dislike that bike but have driven the over rated autobahn several times. I highly suggest you head south to Austria and ride the Grossglockner High Alpine Road and continue south into Italy to see local bikes that belong in the left lane of the autobahn! Carry a few hundred euros to pay your tickets on the spot and never be clever and pass on buying the road tax sticker things or you're screwed. Lots of awesome roads around there, the autobahn is very overrated and every year has more restricted areas and photo traps. Smile for the camera!

Old 08-31-2015, 04:26 AM
2015 Harley Davidson Street Bob Guy's Avatar
2015 Harley Davidson Street Bob Guy
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

lol at 70 mph the wind is a battle on my Street Bob - I highly recommend a Ducati Panigale 1299S or the new Yamaha R1M for the Autobahn !!!

Old 08-31-2015, 10:43 AM
Jesse_81
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
The key word in the street bob...is "street". Not "autobahn" bob. I'm with the others that suggest the VRod if you want a Harley.

Edit add: warning...there is math involved. My calculations of the Street Bob with a final overall gear ratio of 2.79:1, versus my TriGlide of 3.157:1.

The Street Bob has a 14.4% lower final gear ratio than my TriGlide. My Tri Glide does 3,000 RPMs at 73MPH, so scaled to 100 Mph...it would be doing 4,110 RPMs at 100. Therefore...scaling my RPM to the Street Bob...the Street Bob would be doing 4,684 RPMs at 100 MPH!!

Yeah...it can do it..but for a sustained period of time, that sucker would hurt, and things would be flying off.

I can't speak for the VRod...but my math above suggests the Street Bob...is the wrong choice.
I didn't even make it all the way through the thread before having to reply how backwards you've got your math lol. Wrong and wrong. Got your numbers all screwy and a trike has a much lower gear to move all that weight. I've ran my bike from Apache Junction, AZ to Las Vegas, NV many times and I normally maintain about 90mph. Between Kingman, AZ and the Dam I run 100 - 105mph across the straight bare *** nothingness. I run from 3300ish to 3600ish most of that trip. 330 miles roughly from my door to my buddy's. No problems.

FYI...

2014 FXDB Street Bob
Primary Drive - Chain, 34/46 ratio

Gear Ratios (overall) 1st - 9.311

Gear Ratios (overall) 2nd - 6.454

Gear Ratios (overall) 3rd - 4.793

Gear Ratios (overall) 4th - 3.882

Gear Ratios (overall) 5th - 3.307

Gear Ratios (overall) 6th - 2.79

2014 FLHTCUTG Tri Glide Ultra Classic
Primary Drive - Chain, 34/46 ratio

Gear Ratios (overall) 1st - 10.534

Gear Ratios (overall) 2nd - 7.302

Gear Ratios (overall) 3rd - 5.423

Gear Ratios (overall) 4th - 4.392

Gear Ratios (overall) 5th - 3.741

Gear Ratios (overall) 6th - 3.157

Originally Posted by maydaymike
You did your math backward. The Street Bob has 14.4% taller gearing (lower numerically). At 100 mph it will be turning around 3640 rpm. It would be perfectly happy running at that speed all day.

Exactly...

Old 08-31-2015, 04:44 PM
Chicago Ken
Road Warrior
Received 345 Likes on 159 Posts

Thinking Ducati is a better way to go for Euro style riding. V-Rods also suck down gas like mad, you be stopping more often. I see the V-rod as a friday night drag-street cruiser better suited for doing burnouts on Detroit's Woodward Ave. Euro sport bikes would leave the Rod in the weeds & be using less fuel to do it too.

I would love this V-Rod Muscle, just for the hot-rod styling & cruising the boulevard.

Attached Thumbnails Street Bob for longer fast highway rides? Or is V-rod the only choice?-16-hd-v-rod-muscle-2-large.jpg  

Last edited by Chicago Ken; 08-31-2015 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:57 PM
HyperM3
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by kainvamp
Ducati Diavel! Top speed of like 180! If I had access to the autobahn I wouldn't want a bike that would be maxed out at 115.
Had one of those before my FatBob. That thing wanted to do 100+ all day long. I couldnt keep it under 80. 140 was pushing it with the minimal fairing I had on it but it tracked straight and comfy. Just wasnt fun being on a bike wanting to go that fast all the time, thats why I like my Harley.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:32 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,270 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Originally Posted by maydaymike
You did your math backward. The Street Bob has 14.4% taller gearing (lower numerically). At 100 mph it will be turning around 3640 rpm. It would be perfectly happy running at that speed all day.
Ooops!!! Dang math...

Old 09-01-2015, 12:24 AM
Davdoodles
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

I wouldn't want to do that speed regularly on a bog-standard SB. Apes and no fairing, to start with, don't make for comfort or stability at speed.

But, it wouldn't take much. If I were doing a SB to ride at 115 <i>regularly</i> (like commuting every day for 30+ mins each way), I'd probably put some flat-ish bars, a bullet fairing (frame mounted if possible), mids, mags and tubeless V-rated tires), Sputhe etc, better suspension, dual discs, and make the gear ratios a tooth or two taller.

Not all of that is necessary, obviously, but it would turn the bike into an Autobahn Bob...

Old 09-01-2015, 12:32 AM
Davdoodles
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperM3
Had one of those before my FatBob. That thing wanted to do 100+ all day long. I couldnt keep it under 80. 140 was pushing it with the minimal fairing I had on it but it tracked straight and comfy. Just wasnt fun being on a bike wanting to go that fast all the time, thats why I like my Harley.
Yep, I had a 900SS Ducati in the early 80s - same thing. It would do 110+kph in first gear, and wanted to go everywhere at 160 or more (100mph). Hated crawling around at anything approaching legal speeds.

Waaaaay too much fun. Lost my license on it in six months.

After that, a series of BMWs and the SB. Love to be ridden at legal speeds and are sh**loads of fun while doing so (not moralising here, just hate catching the bus!).

Quick Reply: Street Bob for longer fast highway rides? Or is V-rod the only choice?