Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can You Tour With a Dyna??

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 07:08 PM
ChromeBlows
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I've toured on a Sporty! 3495 miles in 8 days,from Chicago to Key West and back.nothin but a couple nylon saddle bags and a sissy bar pack! I think a windshield is a must though.I don't fancy bein beat to death my my own flappin cheeks!

Old 08-29-2015, 08:38 PM
Robert S.
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can You Tour With a Dyna??

Nice lookin' Wide Glide. Where did you get the saddle bags from?

Old 08-29-2015, 08:38 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by kngpn
Hell yeah you can if you're in halfway decent shape and have a good seat.
Well I got half of that equation....

Originally Posted by Robert S.
Nice lookin' Wide Glide. Where did you get the saddle bags from?
Thanks! I'll pass the compliments to my wife. Got those at Cycle Gear. Slant bags in medium. I think that's the size, but the rest I'm for sure on! The large is too big. An FYI they fit perfect in between shocks and tail lights.
Had to put a license plate relocation bracket from Leather Pros.

Originally Posted by ChromeBlows
I've toured on a Sporty! 3495 miles in 8 days,from Chicago to Key West and back.nothin but a couple nylon saddle bags and a sissy bar pack! I think a windshield is a must though.I don't fancy bein beat to death my my own flappin cheeks!
That's some riding! I just sit on my cheeks so they don't flap...don't know that they would anyway. LOL
I've got a 3/4 lid with a full face shield that seems to do the trick.

Originally Posted by Suede Blue Man
I wanted to say towards Tillamook/Astoria but knew it had to be somewhere between Newport and Astoria. Very common construction of the abodes on the left; and the green on the shingles on the right is a clincher You did good on missing rain there, that area is like Ireland when it comes to rain

You got a good eye for sure! Yeah I've been to the OR coast a handful of times and it had never rained on me except for the one day this time and that was only for a few hours.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 11-07-2015 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:53 PM
Robert S.
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
Thanks! I'll pass the compliments to my wife. Got those at Cycle Gear. Slant bags in medium. I think that's the size, but the rest I'm for sure on! The large is too big. An FYI they fit perfect in between shocks and tail lights.
Had to put a license plate relocation bracket from Leather Pros.
Thanks. I was hoping to avoid a license plate relocation on mine to put saddle bags on, but there is apparently no way around it. I just had the mini sissi bar removed and a detachable kit installed which already required a turn signal relocation kit as well.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:59 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,344 Likes on 1,550 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggy
Most of us toured without fairings (or even decent saddlebags sometimes,) on bikes that were not nearly as nice as Dynas and only got on 'dressers' after we were done "touring". Of course its enough bike to go touring....
Been riding for 45 years. Many years bike only (not by choice). Lots of miles on bikes I wouldn't go 200 miles on now. Only started riding Cruisers/Touring 15 years ago.
Of course it can be done, but if your *** or back tell you it can't, listen.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:44 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Suede Blue Man
I wanted to say towards Tillamook/Astoria but knew it had to be somewhere between Newport and Astoria. Very common construction of the abodes on the left; and the green on the shingles on the right is a clincher You did good on missing rain there, that area is like Ireland when it comes to rain

Beek jerky country

Old 08-29-2015, 09:57 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Dear Lord, you can run coast to coast on a 305 Honda if you have the gumption. A Dyna can run long hauls with the best of them. Here's a pic of me and the wife over 5 years ago on our Dyna Low Rider. A good 1000 miles from home.

Last edited by bikerlaw; 08-29-2015 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:48 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

One can tour the world on a bicycle or any two wheel contraption with a motor.

Touring bikes have no locked market on comfortable seats. They can be had on any bike.

I ride over 30 K each year. A Buell served the purpose on a 9K trip to the Arctic Circle in 09, I used a VTX1800 on a 4 K ride in 04, a 4 K ride early this year on a XL1200T, a 2 K trip in 13 on a XL1200L, 2 K trip last year on a 13 Street Bob and finally a 2 K trip on a 750 Street last month.

Small bikes have the advantage in the ability to pick them up and move them around when needed. It is hard for most riders to move around a 900 lb lead sled let alone pick it up by themselves.

This is the 13 Street Bob loaded up for the 2K trip to Sturgis last year.

This is the XL1200L ready for the 2K trip.

This is the 750. It needed no loading as I had 45 lbs of gear in my hiking backpack.

So the answer that you are looking for is absolutely YES!!!!

Last edited by lh4x4; 08-29-2015 at 10:53 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:00 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

^^^^^ Show off ^^^^^^^^^^^

LOL

Old 08-29-2015, 11:16 PM
Carl '69
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 694 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggy
Most of us toured without fairings (or even decent saddlebags sometimes,) on bikes that were not nearly as nice as Dynas and only got on 'dressers' after we were done "touring". Of course its enough bike to go touring....
This.

I rode a '94 Sportster from Fayetteville, NC to Sturgis & back thru WY, CO, NM, TX, etc. 5500 miles over 3 weeks, with 8 days of dedicated travellin'.

The Dyna is a much smoother, bigger, roomier bike & very comfortable.

I had a '99 FLTR as well & while you just can't beat a dresser for all-out cush with a decent stereo & cigarette lighter, it's a big damned bike. Perfect for doing big miles, but there's no getting around their size & heft. Yes, that big girl will dance, but it's still a lot of bike.

No reason at all you couldn't tour comfortably on a Dyna. It is a motorcycle, after all, not a 2-wheeled car.

Quick Reply: Can You Tour With a Dyna??