Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can You Tour With a Dyna??

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 11:13 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkey
Did 3000 miles last month on the backroads of the NW states; one of our best trips ever. No major cities, absolute minimal four-lane the entire trip.
Now 30+ states and 6 provinces on our Dynas (I'm one of the very few, very lucky whose wife rides her own)
We've both tried the FLH's; even went thru the Tail of the Dragon 2-up on a 120R Road Glide, a resounding nope for both of us...was a very nice, stable bike with plenty of power (I've had faster Harley's) but huge.
Each to their own, but our style of touring is best done on a pair of Dyna's, hopefully for years to come.

I too know that feeling of the wife riding her own....love it!!

Originally Posted by rogersachs
I used the Nelson Rig CTB 1000 King Roller Packwith rollers on the rear and built in extendable handle( similar as a airport bag) on the rear of a 13" sisy bar, and Saddleman R 1300 LE Deluxe roll bag on the front of the sissy bar. Worked great. Placed the roll bag on top of the larger bag and had no trouble getting to my room. Like going through a airport. So far its the best system I have used over the years. Found it on Amazon.
I also had a custom windshield made by Rifle. Much better than OEM quick release touring windshield.
It fits the harley hardware and quick brackets. I am still able to easily see over the top, but very little wind from the sides.
I also used a Harley inflatable seat pad. No numb ***.
I was planning to remove the 13 inch sisy bar and larger windshield after the trip, but liked them so much that I have not switched back. I even sold my oem windshield on ebay. Got my asking price.
If anyone is interested, contact me and I can give more details.
With all said, I still feel the Road King is a much better cruiser, but not nearly as much fun. For the two or three trips a year I find my Street Bob much better for an all around bike. I use it most every day around town and to go to golf course or even causual shopping.
The rolling bag sounds like a good set up. I forgot to even take the shoulder strap for my big bag on this trip. Wished I had because that thing weighed a TON, which was my fault.
Any pics of your set up?

Originally Posted by altarip55
Just wrapped up a 6,000 mile road trip on my FXD. SLC to Vermont and back Via Trans Canada.

The beginning of a 6,000 mile Journey.

Catching a Wyoming sunset after 5,600 miles.

Those are some crazy miles! You know if you button up that shirt it might stay down better....

Originally Posted by Mars47
Its a hiking backpack, not sure on the brand; northface sticks out to me, but I'm not sure. I specifically bought it for the back of the bike; I figured a hiking bag is stretchy so I can fit more stuff, its huge, and they're designed to be light.

Implying I'm hardcore with my crocs openly in view. hahaha!

Edit; you asked where I got the backpack...I got it from an REI.

Hey it's not like you're riding in those Crocs!! LOL

Sweet, that looks a bit like the ones we have. Ours were Wally World specials. They do strap to a sissy bar and have a spot for a hydration bladder. You can see it on the WG in my photo.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 11-07-2015 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:24 PM
Mars47
Road Captain

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
Hey it's not like you're riding in those Crocs!! LOL

Sweet, that looks a bit like the ones we have. Ours were Wally World specials. They do strap to a sissy bar and have a spot for a hydration bladder. You can see it on the WG in my photo.
I like my crocs because **** it. I wore those in Iraq, Afghanistan, and just about every day here at home when I go to the garage to smoke.

Yeah. This one I have two folding chairs strapped to it and thats what I used to wrap the bladder around.

In the bag I have the tent, an air mattress, and I think something else. The sleeping bags were difficult to figure out what to do with so they're resting on the license plate on the back of the sissy bar, which holds the poker, the grill thing, and the hot sandwich maker. She had all the clothes, food, and two blankets on her old vstar.

Old 08-31-2015, 04:04 PM
altarip55
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
Those are some crazy miles! You know if you button up that shirt it might stay down better....
It's my cape...

JK, it was buttoned at my house in Alta when it was 80 degrees but when I got down to SLC it was 106 so I busted it open...didn't feel like stopping in that heat so I dealt with it till I got to Park City.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:18 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by Jesse_81
Touring on any bike isn't really an issue. In my opinion it's more about your setup than anything. I've done some decent miles on my Dyna.

I'm leaving Thursday afternoon for a 2000 mile trip (rough plan) based around Four Corners. One bag with all my shirts, socks, underwear, and a hoodie. The other bag with rain suit, gloves, mask, small tool pack, and also can fit my helmet in there. If I decided to buy some goodies, I can net the helmet up top of the roll bag and free up half of the saddlebag. The Roll bag I got all my pants rolled up and shoved in there. My jacket straps up nicely behind the fairing which I can swap out with my cut for colder weather. I do have a magnetic tank bag that I run as well with all my toiletries. I also take a towel and fold it up into a rectangle shape and bungee it across the front of the roll bag for a makeshift backrest to lean against. I'm going to be out on the road for 5 - 6 days depending on how much we decided to screw around or add in some extra places to see. I'm about maxed out for clothing for this many days like this. I have a detachable sissybar and a tailbag I could run and pack 3 times as much but I just don't see the point. I don't even own that much clothes anyways lol. So if I really needed to travel further I could easily stop at a laundromat somewhere and throw a load in and be back on the road in 2 hours ready for an additional 6 days. Here's a few pics of the bike with it roughly loaded down and a pic of the roll pack from a prior trip I took. Did a rough pack last night just to make sure I'm ready to roll out Thursday with enough room for everything. Good to go!

Attachment 442347

Attachment 442348

Attachment 442349

Nice. My wife and I are taking a quick spin around the four corners area this weekend. Maybe we'll cross paths.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:50 PM
04FXDI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 805 Likes on 539 Posts

These are the posts I like reading, solidifies my Dyna can do everything my brothers Heritage can do. I'm much lighter and shorter. I've spent up to 6hrs riding the backcountry roads and feel great, I'm confident I can do a long trip, despite he's beliefs. Thanks for inspiration.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:51 PM
Davdoodles
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

Crossed Australia and return last Aussie summer on my 2011 SB, lived on and off the bike (rough camped for a month. 10,00kms, about 6.500 miles I guess. About 2000kms on gravel/dirt/mud. - further than dual-crossing the USA from NY to LA, over an empty desert that stretches from Virginia to Fresno). Fuggin' hot...!

The bike never missed a beat and nothing broke. It handled the heat (albiet with an aftermarket oil cooler) just fine. Went through a set of tires, but ordered ahead for some which were ready when I got to the west coast.

It was comfortable, stable and economical (400+km on a tank of 98 octane gas). Absolutely recomended.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:20 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Davdoodles

Crossed Australia and return last Aussie summer on my 2011 SB, lived on and off the bike (rough camped for a month. 10,00kms, about 6.500 miles I guess. About 2000kms on gravel/dirt/mud. - further than dual-crossing the USA from NY to LA, over an empty desert that stretches from Virginia to Fresno). Fuggin' hot...!

The bike never missed a beat and nothing broke. It handled the heat (albiet with an aftermarket oil cooler) just fine. Went through a set of tires, but ordered ahead for some which were ready when I got to the west coast.

It was comfortable, stable and economical (400+km on a tank of 98 octane gas). Absolutely recomended.

Man that is crazy....you look like you are set up for the zombie apocalypse. Is that a fuel bottle on the front left frame? Can you go over a bit of your set up?

Old 09-01-2015, 01:53 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by 04FXDI
I'm confident I can do a long trip, despite he's beliefs.
Lol, ask you brother to post up in the touring section! Half of those sanctimonious cream puffs would have us believe you could never tour or ever ride long distance on a ....... Softail. Dear Lord no.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:04 PM
04FXDI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 805 Likes on 539 Posts

haha, nah he's not an internet junky but I'll say he does lay out some serious miles on his Heritage, his got a fist full of ole Marine Corps brothers that meet up several times a year....he's pretty much due for new rubber at seasons end. I just need to run long side him on one of the 3000+ milers to prove my point.

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
Lol, ask you brother to post up in the touring section! Half of those sanctimonious cream puffs would have us believe you could never tour or ever ride long distance on a ....... Softail. Dear Lord no.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:17 PM
HImilou
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes you can! and most of these pics are of overloaded bikes.

Heres me on my 4000 mile Sturgis round trip, and IM carrying my friends tent cause he was feeling top heavy!

Quick Reply: Can You Tour With a Dyna??