Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to ID FXDWG vs. FXDF triple trees

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 10:31 PM
CWS
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
Isn't this YOUR photo of YOUR trees...yes?

Because of the pinch bolt location (and some other things), they appear to be some original 49mm FXDWG trees, like maybe 2006-07.

To confirm that you have a set of raked Wide Glide Trees installed, point your forks straight ahead, then look from the side at the tube and neck relationship. If the gap is wider (larger) at the bottom than at the top (not parallel), then of course they're raked (see FXDWG photo below)

It's also easy to detect if there any rake in a set of bare trees without tubes, just slide that top tree down on top of the bottom...do the tube holes line up?...yes, no rake. If they don't line up...they are raked.

Btw FXDF Trees have a slight NEGATIVE rake...they're not 0° (at least, not the ones i've had or looked at)
You rock! I'm definitely starting to think that they're wide glide trees, unfortunately.

Old 09-02-2015, 12:34 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Wouldn't you be able to tell just by looking at the angle of the fork leg cap compared to the top tree. I do belive the forks on a wide glide tree would have the cap pitched back (3 degrees rake) and a fat bob tree would be parallel to the cap (zero rake) (this is how they look on my fat bob trees).

Old 09-02-2015, 05:03 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,232 Likes on 1,810 Posts

Originally Posted by blueangel73
Wouldn't you be able to tell just by looking at the angle of the fork leg cap compared to the top tree. I do belive the forks on a wide glide tree would have the cap pitched back (3 degrees rake) and a fat bob tree would be parallel to the cap (zero rake) (this is how they look on my fat bob trees)
Yes, that would work also.

I thought the method i used was easier to explain, illustrate, and be detected by someone unfamiliar with the process.

Now let me plant the seed with you that the Fat Bob trees have a Negative Rake. Now if you're open to that, look again at your FB Trees from the side and/or top...can you see it?

I noticed it originally while looking at a FatBob at the dealer, then confirmed it after getting a set of trees.

Here's a couple threads i just grabbed in a search where the OPs were questioning the 0° Rake. In the second link the Op didn't realize he had FB Trees until later.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...rees-rake.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...tood-help.html

Old 09-02-2015, 10:06 PM
CWS
Advanced

Okay, so on the basis that I have wideglide trees, I'm now looking for a front fender. I have the stock street bob fender but obviously it's too narrow to fit with these trees. Will a wide glide front fender fit and properly cover my wide 140 front tire?

Old 09-03-2015, 05:45 PM
joe40x
Road Warrior
Received 656 Likes on 383 Posts

I doubt it. Fender spacers and your fender would work. Fender spacers are cheap!

Old 09-03-2015, 11:05 PM
CWS
Advanced

Originally Posted by joe40x
I doubt it. Fender spacers and your fender would work. Fender spacers are cheap!
Do you think it would look weird with fender spacers? If it would look better to go with the actual right fender I'd go that route.

Old 09-09-2016, 02:44 PM
Euroshah
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What trees to install to reduce the rake?

Hi guys...I seriously need some good advice from you old timers..
What trees do I have to install to reduce the rake on my stock 2011 FXDWG?
Any suggestions would be helpful and much appreciated...
Thanks guys
Euroshah
Malaysia

Old 09-09-2016, 07:10 PM
tstroud
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought the "fat kid" fender on eBay and it works good for my Street Bob with Fat Bob triples and a switchback front wheel. I re-drilled the holes to fit the way I wanted it to fit then had a local body shop paint it. They said it was straight. Not bad for $85.00.

Old 09-15-2016, 06:25 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Euroshah
Hi guys...I seriously need some good advice from you old timers..
What trees do I have to install to reduce the rake on my stock 2011 FXDWG?
Any suggestions would be helpful and much appreciated...
Thanks guys
Euroshah
Malaysia
First suggestion is to start your own thread and not try to hijack someone else's... that's just rude dude.

Old 09-15-2016, 06:26 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by tstroud
I bought the "fat kid" fender on eBay and it works good for my Street Bob with Fat Bob triples and a switchback front wheel. I re-drilled the holes to fit the way I wanted it to fit then had a local body shop paint it. They said it was straight. Not bad for $85.00.
Also sporting the FatKid fender for fatbob... good price and the fender is pretty sound... some hole modification may need to be had... I did a little as I was mounting up to wideglide fork sliders.

Quick Reply: How to ID FXDWG vs. FXDF triple trees