Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange problems after dyne tune

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 05:08 PM
dlporter
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Strange problems after dyno tune

So I fells for the suckers bet of dyno tuning my bike with Stage I upgrades. My current setup is a 2015 FXDL w/ SE stage I intake and V&H Big Shots Staggered exhaust. I had been running an FP3 with this setup since I installed the mods. I just recently decided to pick up a SEPST and have it dyno'd by my dealer. The bike seemed to run smoothly when I picked it up, the only thing that concerned me was that my AFR curve was dialed right between 14-15:1. My initial pull showed between 13-14:1 w/ the FP3 map.

About three hours after I got the bike home I left to go run some errands and noticed the check engine light had come on. I thought hey no problem, I'll plug my FP3 back in to read the codes. So I got it plugged in and read the code, but thought it was strange that the FP3 thought my canned map was still the one that was installed on the ecm even though it was not. I unplugged the FP3 and started the bike. Started up fine but idled at 2000 rpm, much higher than normal. I decided to ride back to the dealer to check it out, and noticed the turn signals no longer auto canceled anymore, the speedo did not work below 50 mph, the gear indicator did not know what gear the bike was in, and the bike was running like crap. It seemed like it was running super lean, really rough and lots of engine heat. My exhaust is now a beautiful bright metallic blue (under the heat shields).

The bike now sits at the dealer for them to troubleshoot and fix. I hope I didn't cause the problem by plugging my FP3 back in to read the code. I probably should have just left it alone and waited until I do cams to put it on the dyno.

Old 08-30-2015, 05:48 PM
ntraindavefl
Road Warrior
Received 333 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by dlporter

the bike now sits at the dealer for them to troubleshoot and fix. I hope i didn't cause the problem by plugging my fp3 back in to read the code. I probably should have just left it alone and waited until i do cams to put it on the dyno.

bingo

Old 08-30-2015, 07:27 PM
dpoll995
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm curious how it will pan out. I just bought the FP3 and was planning on using that instead of the SE tuner that I also bought with the bike. The dealer is supposed to do the SE tuner and dyno after I hit 1k miles. Was your running better with the FP3 map or after the SE tuner map? I'm thinking of just telling them I don't want the dyno tune anymore.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:15 PM
dlporter
Cruiser

Originally Posted by dpoll995
I'm curious how it will pan out. I just bought the FP3 and was planning on using that instead of the SE tuner that I also bought with the bike. The dealer is supposed to do the SE tuner and dyno after I hit 1k miles. Was your running better with the FP3 map or after the SE tuner map? I'm thinking of just telling them I don't want the dyno tune anymore.
Honestly, there wasn't much difference between the two. The dyno printout showed a gain of about 6 hp, but it was all above 4500 rpm where I rarely ride. There was no gain in peak torque but they did flatten the curve a little bit. Again, the gains were all above 4500 rpm. So for my riding style there were no gains to be had and it was a complete waste of money. My advice to you after my experience would be to just stick with the FP3 for a stage I bike.

Last edited by dlporter; 08-30-2015 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:04 AM
dpoll995
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Any news on what was causing the problems?

Old 09-05-2015, 11:07 AM
dlporter
Cruiser

So, an update on the problem.... The dealer tech ran all of the diagnostic tests called for in the electrical diagnostics manual for my problems and everything checked out fine. They called HD and got them involved in the troubleshooting. HD suggested it could be a corrupted tune file in the ECM, so the dealer reflashed the stock map with the digital tech computer and all of the problems disappeared. I'm not sure what caused the tune file to be corrupted. It could have been corrupted from the beginning when they loaded it on my bike during the dyno run or it could have happened when I plugged my fp3 in.

Bottom line, I won't let that dealer put my bike back on their dyno, and I won't plug my fp3 back into the bike. I am going to have the dealer flash the ECM to a stage I download so I can get home and I will use a PV2 from fuel moto to get a proper map loaded.