Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wobble over 90

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 02:02 AM
Kickstand44
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wobble over 90

Ok, so on my way home tonight I was running down a 2-lane around 85 mph. Considering I've only had the bike a week, I haven't really pushed it. Once I hit right around 90 the front end started to wobble a little. Once I got back to around 85, it quit. I do have a windshield on the bike. I'm wondering if that could be what caused it, or is there something else I should look at? Thanks.

Old 09-02-2015, 05:16 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Terrible thread to start!!!! You will now hear the many, many opinions on how there is no wobble, there is wobble, how its your suspension, your rear motormount, front motor mount, you need a steering stablizer. These threads always lead to big debates and very rarely lead to answers........just giving you a heads up.

And welcome to the family.

Old 09-02-2015, 05:51 AM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

First thing I would check is the fall away.
If this is a new bike bring it to the stealer and have them check it out.
There are lots you can do to improve the stability as blueangel mentioned.
One step at a time.

Old 09-02-2015, 05:52 AM
Racqueteer9
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blueangel73
Terrible thread to start!!!! You will now hear the many, many opinions on how there is no wobble, there is wobble, how its your suspension, your rear motormount, front motor mount, you need a steering stablizer. These threads always lead to big debates and very rarely lead to answers........just giving you a heads up.

And welcome to the family.
Yeah, all of the above. And you should know Honda Shadow's just weren't designed to run that fast. We have no idea what you ride.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:16 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Start easy and cheap first:
- Check your grip on the handlebars. Too tight of a grip will cause a wobble. (free)
- Check the air in your tires. A couple of pounds either way can cause a wobble. Especially if it is low. (free)
- Pull the windshield off if it is removable and make a run. (free)

I will bet a buck one of those things will fix it.
If not:

Check the front end.
- Fall-away (free)
- Bad bearings (free)

Work your way down and back the bike.
- Motor mounts and alignment. (free)

Find out what the issue is before you start throwing money at a problem. The last guy that posted this same question here, spent the money, added a True-trak, then learned his tire pressure was low. (ouch)

You don't say what year and mileage your bike is. I am assuming it is used. If it is new, check how tight you grip the bars, the tire pressure, then take it to the dealer for warranty.
BTW, if you take it to a dealer and tell them you get a wobble at 90, they will tell they can't help you because they can't go that speed to recreate the issue. You will need to tell them you get a slight wobble at interstate or passing speeds.

Last edited by Jonesee; 09-02-2015 at 06:29 AM.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:34 AM
Maclugie
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

90 MPH? Are you kidding?

Old 09-02-2015, 07:31 AM
Kickstand44
Novice

First off, thanks for the replies. They gave me a good laugh this early in the morning. Next, the bike is a 2002 FXDP with 35000 on the clock. I've already checked the tires and tried tightening and loosening my grip with no change. I've never had a windshield on any of my bikes before so I'm gonna take it off before work today and see if that fixes it. Thanks for the responses.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:58 AM
mark fullner
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kids bought me a windshield for Xmas did the same thing at 95 probably not a bad thing for me.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:33 AM
Kickstand44
Novice

Originally Posted by mark fullner
Kids bought me a windshield for Xmas did the same thing at 95 probably not a bad thing for me.
Haha it probably isn't bad for me either. But I'm gonna take it off today to find out for sure.

Old 09-02-2015, 12:04 PM
kevjprince
2nd Gear

I have a 07 FXD with 30K+ and get the same at around 70+ around corners (only left lean though). I'm going to try replacing my riser bushings as they have quite a bit of give in them.

Quick Reply: Wobble over 90