General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New full-face Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 08:34 PM
Baccerman
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New full-face Helmet

After a lot of thought have finally gotten a full-face helmet. I have gone all the way from a novelty "beanie" 20 years ago to a half-helmet to a 3/4 and now to an HJC full-face modular. My research indicates that this helmet is basically the same one HD sells for about $100 more than the HJC brand bucket I bought at the local Hondayamasuki parlor.
My original conception was that full face helmets are hot and are hard to see out of. In fact, the full face is cooler has better visibility than my 3/4 does with the goggles I normally wear.
The clencher was a story one of my friends told me about going off a bike several years ago and sliding down the road on the chin bar of his lid.
I could imagine the world of hurt if he had been wearing a half or 3/4 lid.
I am thinking also that this will be a very viable alternative to hanging an unsightly windshield on the front of my lowrider.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:36 PM
Lama
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

And you just advanced yourself from broseph to motorcycle rider.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:45 PM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

Good choice with the modular. The calm air within the helmet makes all the difference and when you need a little air, you just crack open the visor.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:52 PM
dyna105
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

The full face feels better than the 3/4 on them cool crisp morning rides to work. Below 50 degrees the full face goes on.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:53 PM
Baccerman
Intermediate

If you ever spent most of a morning picking tooth fragments out of a dude's lips and sewing up the inside of his mouth it would eventually make you think. When you are young you think that that kind of crap happens to other people.
I've been very lucky over the past 40 years, having been through six bikes and over 150k miles in the saddle.
Just trying to stack the deck a bit in my favor.
Cheers.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:53 PM
surfcitybeach
Advanced

I've been looking for a full face recently too. Been using half helmets for years, but now I'm tired of big bugs and little rocks hitting me in the face on the highway. I also like the models that have the built in dark visor behind the shield.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:59 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Baccerman
If you ever spent most of a morning picking tooth fragments out of a dude's lips and sewing up the inside of his mouth it would eventually make you think. When you are young you think that that kind of crap happens to other people.
and, at my age, the reality that life is finite sinks in so you really don't GAF about **** like that.

What a rush to blast off down the freeway at 90+ without a helmet or windshield...and, if I go down, then I go down. But what a ride it was. The end.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:40 PM
Chicago Ken
Road Warrior
Received 345 Likes on 159 Posts

Went to a full face because I couldn't handle the wind blasting my ears anymore.
Had trouble hearing after a ride. Had a couple rocks bounce off the face shield, thankful for saving my ugly puss.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:50 PM
chief08
Road Master
Received 208 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by skinman13
and, at my age, the reality that life is finite sinks in so you really don't GAF about **** like that.

What a rush to blast off down the freeway at 90+ without a helmet or windshield...and, if I go down, then I go down. But what a ride it was. The end.
I'm with u on that one

Old 10-02-2015, 10:04 PM
loopie
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Harley doesn't make clothes /helmets all are made by various companies and just relabelled HD. so chances your h/d helmet is hjc

Quick Reply: New full-face Helmet