Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member. First Harley. First post. Question about suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 04:28 PM
Brandon Blitch
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member. First Harley. First post. Question about suspension

Ok guys. I'm new here. A little over a week ago, I bought my first Harley. I have loved the look of the Nightster, but at 6'2" and 260 lbs, I'm a little big for those. I looked for something like it but bigger. I've been wanting one for quite a few years and it took getting divorced to finally make myself happy! Now I got a Harley Street Bob. I LOVE THIS BIKE! Coming from sport bikes, I wouldn't have imagined how much fun this thing actually is. Question is: what springs/shocks can I run to still keep the lowered look, but actually have some spring/shock to them? Right now it's got Progressive Suspension 03-1310 90/130s on it. All the cross referencing I'm finding show that these are actually for a Sportster 883. I love the lowered look of it, but with my weight it bottoms out on the smallest stuff. Heaven forbid I throw a lady friend on the back (which I know is going to happen).

Old 10-06-2015, 04:55 PM
Rubline
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Try adjusting your shocks to highest setting or taller shocks?

Old 10-06-2015, 05:12 PM
Brandon Blitch
4th Gear

They are already on the highest setting.

I've actually debated on air ride for the rear. I can piece together a kit for under $200 and have adjustable. I may end up going that route, but was looking at all options first.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:38 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Maybe you can pick up some new take offs for dirt cheap and see how they ride? However at 260 you're well over the "average" (lol) rider weight the factory suspension is designed for. I got a custom sprung set of the cheapest Ohlins shocks for the rear and racetech springs and emulators up front and it's a HUGE improvement.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:22 PM
Brandon Blitch
4th Gear

It's not too bad. It sucks, but I can live with it for a little bit. I don't want to go with factory take offs, because I like the lowered look. I think instead of trying to buy some factory take offs, I'll just go ahead and start piecing together the stuff to install air ride on it. Then I can adjust for whether it's just me, or if there's a lady with me.

Old 10-07-2015, 03:37 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Nice looking bike, bro. I can't help you with your question, but wanted to say that's a nice shot. Love the kicked up boots. Just needs a beer and a smoke on the table.

Old 10-07-2015, 03:43 PM
emperor wurm
Road Warrior
Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

aren't the shocks your currently running 11 inches? and aren't the stock low rider shocks 11 inches?

Old 10-07-2015, 04:23 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon Blitch
It's not too bad. It sucks, but I can live with it for a little bit. I don't want to go with factory take offs, because I like the lowered look. I think instead of trying to buy some factory take offs, I'll just go ahead and start piecing together the stuff to install air ride on it. Then I can adjust for whether it's just me, or if there's a lady with me.
I wouldn't wait too long. Bottoming out all the time isn't great for the bike, or controlling the bike. Good luck!

Old 10-07-2015, 05:32 PM
Brandon Blitch
4th Gear

I'm not sure what length these are. I haven't taken them off and measured. I've only had it a week and half, but I'm gonna be piecing together the air ride stuff which won't take no time.

Here's the other picture I took last night on snapchat. cggorman

There's a beer there, but I don't smoke, so....

Old 10-07-2015, 05:50 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome and congrats on the bike! I have the Burly Slammers on mine. Obviously I don't ride two up. But if you are riding a passenger they will probably not be the best fit for you. I'm sure someone with more knowledge about shocks and there set up with a passenger will help you out. Enjoy it!

Quick Reply: New member. First Harley. First post. Question about suspension