Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hawg Halters and Accutronix 5 degree trees

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 12:50 PM
Falcon81
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Hawg Halters and Accutronix 5 degree trees

Spoke to both companies and they inform me that it is safe to put a 5 degree triple tree on my 09 dyna Super Glide custom as long as I put a 21" tire and lower the rear end of the bike. Possibly add to the fork tubes.

Hawg Halters even states this on their website.

I have done a trail calculation which is not taking into consideration the rear end lowered by and inch and my number comes out to 2.67 " of trail.

Stock is 4.7". Would this still be considered safe?

Both of these companies have said they sold many of these with no issues.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:20 PM
Frank Castle
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

Accutronix had some Qc issues in the past from some of what Ive read.. they along with DNA and a few other 'carriers' of the Chinese made forks (especially iniverted front ends) I'd do some more reading / research..

The trail calc is ok... Your stock rake (FXDC) is 28.. with 0 in the trees.. a Lowrider (traditionally don't know about now ) is or was like 29 or 30 in the frame with a 2 degree rake in the trees.. Wideglides have a 30 deg rake in the frame and I think 2 or 3 in the trees.. Not sure on the Fatbobs.. Dyna bobs are the same frame as the Super glide.. (may have changed and or the fellas here that own wide glides may be a lot more knowledgeable than I ) But if I were you and I was looking for a bigger rake I would get a wide glide or a FXDSE style front end.

Just my 2 coppers

Old 10-09-2015, 02:28 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank Castle

a Lowrider (traditionally don't know about now ) is or was like 29 or 30 in the frame with a 2 degree rake in the trees.. Wideglides have a 30 deg rake in the frame and I think 2 or 3 in the trees..
Your information is incorrect.

Up until 06 Lowrider and Wide Glide shared the same frame with 32 degree rake, the WG had 2 degree trees and the LR 0 degree trees. This all changes in 06, the WG had a 34 degree frame and 2 degree trees while the LR had 29 degree frame and I believe 1.5 in the trees.

To The OP:
Adding 5 degrees in the trees should lower your front end about 2", so you would need to lower the rear or add 2" over tubes up front to level back out. Changing the tire really does not make that much of a difference, check the tire diameters, you may find very little difference in OD between a 19 and a 21.

I run Hawg Halters 4 degree trees on my WG, added 2" over on my tubes and am very happy with the results.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:43 AM
Frank Castle
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 8541hog

Up until 06 Lowrider and Wide Glide shared the same frame with 32 degree rake, the WG had 2 degree trees and the LR 0 degree trees. This all changes in 06, the WG had a 34 degree frame and 2 degree trees while the LR had 29 degree frame and I believe 1.5 in the trees.

To The OP:
Adding 5 degrees in the trees should lower your front end about 2", so you would need to lower the rear or add 2" over tubes up front to level back out. Changing the tire really does not make that much of a difference, check the tire diameters, you may find very little difference in OD between a 19 and a 21.

I run Hawg Halters 4 degree trees on my WG, added 2" over on my tubes and am very happy with the results.
Thus the disclaimer in my post about the knowledge on this board. Good info.

Old 10-15-2015, 01:42 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by 8541hog
Changing the tire really does not make that much of a difference, check the tire diameters, you may find very little difference in OD between a 19 and a 21.
My 21" is an over all 1.16" taller than the stock 19" was, that will raise your front end a total of .58".

My bike is lowered in the rear and stock in the front. I have been thinking about changing the Fat Bob trees for some Wide Glide trees just to get the front a little lower and push the front wheel out a little.