Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's with all the rattling?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 04:36 PM
havoc6403
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by freebaggin
My 15 Street Bob does the same thing. Once I figured it out, it dosn't really bother me anymore but there is an easy fix for it, you turn the gas cap over and hammer in the edges a bit to tighten it up, it's on the forum here somewhere.
holy crap I just tried this.... so obvious.... that nasty rattle is fn gone....

AWESOME.... thanks guy.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:39 PM
shitbox
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by freebaggin
My 15 Street Bob does the same thing. Once I figured it out, it dosn't really bother me anymore but there is an easy fix for it, you turn the gas cap over and hammer in the edges a bit to tighten it up, it's on the forum here somewhere.
Thanks for the advice. I will give that a try. The rattle is annoying since I have to go across 18 railroad tracks daily!

Old 10-12-2015, 10:23 AM
sknyfats
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One other thing I didn't see anyone mention . . . that I think will also apply to an 07...the bottom of the frame, on the side where the kickstand is - there should be a rubber grommet thing that cushions the kickstand when it is in the "up" position.

I know where you described the sound to be coming from, but sounds really travel funny so worth checking.

If you (or a previous owner) ever jacked up the bike with a standard motorcycle jack, good chance it got spun up and out of the way - and the kickstand is now making direct contact with the frame. Easy way to test is just get on the bike, flip up the kickstand and whether it sounds like metal on metal when it snaps up, or if it's a duller thump of metal hitting on rubber.
I've had this happen before and you just have to get a firm grip on that grommet and twist it back into position so that it gets in between the kickstand & the frame.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:32 AM
bjewell
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 347 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by sknyfats
One other thing I didn't see anyone mention . . . that I think will also apply to an 07...the bottom of the frame, on the side where the kickstand is - there should be a rubber grommet thing that cushions the kickstand when it is in the "up" position.

I know where you described the sound to be coming from, but sounds really travel funny so worth checking.

If you (or a previous owner) ever jacked up the bike with a standard motorcycle jack, good chance it got spun up and out of the way - and the kickstand is now making direct contact with the frame. Easy way to test is just get on the bike, flip up the kickstand and whether it sounds like metal on metal when it snaps up, or if it's a duller thump of metal hitting on rubber.
I've had this happen before and you just have to get a firm grip on that grommet and twist it back into position so that it gets in between the kickstand & the frame.

Wow! Thanks Sknyfats, I'll try that as the rubber grommet isn't there. Boy that would be terrific...