Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can a fuel gauge be repaired?

Old 10-08-2015, 08:43 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts
Default Can a fuel gauge be repaired?

I recently replaced a digital Kuryakyn fuel/volt gauge with a correct (ebay, used) analog unit for my 99. It doesn't seem to be coming down from the full mark. The tank is actually about 2/3 full. The gauge drops to empty when the ignition is turned off, so it's not stuck. The Kury gauge was on the bike when I got it and is all Ive ever used. It read fine.

Can an old analog gauge be repaired?

Old 10-09-2015, 01:44 PM
bigbadpoppa
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 115 Posts

Yes it can...but your better off just buying a new one unless your doing the repairs yourself and know what to look for. Gauges are not expensive, fumbling with a repair for a low price item is a waste of time and will cost you more of a repair bill.

Old 10-09-2015, 02:17 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

You would be much better off using your odometer to determine when you need fuel, fuel gauges on a small tank are rarely very accurate, mileage always is.

Old 10-09-2015, 02:33 PM
bigbadpoppa
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 115 Posts

Very true...my oem gauge is pure garbage. Its not accurate at all.

Old 10-09-2015, 04:12 PM
havoc6403
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

replaced mine a few months ago. no sweat. cheap part.

Old 10-09-2015, 04:24 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

I agree they aren't too expensive, but I still hate the idea of spending $50 for another one. Only had this one a couple weeks!

I understood them to be inaccurate when I changed from the Kury. I can accept that. Between mileage and the reserve, I'm not too concerned about running empty on the road. I just like things to work like new. I have a lot pf vintage "stuff". Often times "works like new" is far less than acceptable by today's standards, but that's part of the charm of something like, say, and old mechanical clock in your car dash.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:54 PM
Racqueteer9
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cggorman
Often times "works like new" is far less than acceptable by today's standards, but that's part of the charm of something like, say, and old mechanical clock in your car dash.
Yeah, I can't get my dash sundial to work properly no matter how hard I try. Everytime I change direction it changes time.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:56 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cggorman
I recently replaced a digital Kuryakyn fuel/volt gauge with a correct (ebay, used) analog unit for my 99. It doesn't seem to be coming down from the full mark. The tank is actually about 2/3 full. The gauge drops to empty when the ignition is turned off, so it's not stuck. The Kury gauge was on the bike when I got it and is all Ive ever used. It read fine.

Can an old analog gauge be repaired?
Pull the gauge, pull the sending unit. Hook it back up while out of bike. Turn on ign. and run the float up and down to see if the wiper is actually making contact with the resistor. If not, VERY carefully (with pointy tweezers) tweek the wiper so it has good contact with the resistor. Now, with 3 gal in tank, put it back in the bike (bike standing straight up) and turn on the ign. And see what it reads. tweak the float till it reads half tank. That is about as close as you'll get it I believe. I fixed mine twice over the years (02) but the third time, the wiper had broken off so I said screw it and put fuel in at 150 miles on the trip meter. I priced a sending unit for $157.00 but that was a while back. I should've bought a spare when they were $50. Call me cheap, but I hate paying triple just cause it's older.

The following users liked this post:
Jim Comer (04-21-2021)
Old 10-09-2015, 06:58 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jaxdwg
Pull the gauge, pull the sending unit. Hook it back up while out of bike. Turn on ign. and run the float up and down to see if the wiper is actually making contact with the resistor. If not, VERY carefully (with pointy tweezers) tweek the wiper so it has good contact with the resistor. Now, with 3 gal in tank, put it back in the bike (bike standing straight up) and turn on the ign. And see what it reads. tweak the float till it reads half tank. That is about as close as you'll get it I believe. I fixed mine twice over the years (02) but the third time, the wiper had broken off so I said screw it and put fuel in at 150 miles on the trip meter. I priced a sending unit for $157.00 but that was a while back. I should've bought a spare when they were $50. Call me cheap, but I hate paying triple just cause it's older.
Guess I read that wrong, never mind