Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I nuts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 01:56 PM
rgjujitsu
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I nuts?

I'm thinking about trading/selling my crossbones so I can get an 82 shovel fxr. My tastes continue to shift to older bikes. Any thoughts on the issue would be appreciated, but owning both is not an option. I've never ridden an fxr or a shovel.

Old 10-11-2015, 02:00 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are in quite a bind! I'd love to have either! Love the Crossbones! FXR's are awesome bikes. Reason I have neither of those is because I couldn't stand to get rid of my Bob. It would have to be in addition. And no, you're not nuts. A pic of the Crossbones and FXR would be nice! Seen some beautiful pics of modified Xbones. Thinking of:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/membe...sbones-08.html

Last edited by Robbie13; 10-11-2015 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:19 PM
ToffeeBrown
Cruiser

I have spent many, many days and nights working on shovels for myself or friends. I LOVE them, but you will absolutely lose reliability if your crossbones is in good working order.

For most people, not that big of a deal. If I were you, I would look for an EVO FXR. They are the greatest bikes ever made by MoCo. I wish I still had mine.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:21 PM
rrcap2001
Cruiser

I had adCross Bones, and it is the one bike I regret getting rid of. I had two different dealerships looking for a used one, but couldn't find one. that is why I purchased a Street Bob. Second choice.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:11 AM
rgjujitsu
Road Master

this is the bones I have, but it needs a whole new engine basically, after mine blew up

Old 10-13-2015, 03:22 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Crossbones for me, hands down.

That said...

Old 10-13-2015, 03:42 PM
Robbie13
LOSER

Originally Posted by rgjujitsu
this is the bones I have, but it needs a whole new engine basically, after mine blew up
Beautiful bike!

Old 10-13-2015, 04:21 PM
ToffeeBrown
Cruiser

Im telling you, ride an FXR one time and you'll be a believer. I would just be leery of the Shovel, as they tend to be a bit of work. I would hesitate to ride an Evo FXR around the planet, though! And the handling of an FXR puts any other Harley to shame...

Old 10-13-2015, 05:03 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

You shouldn't have any trouble finding a nice FXR for what your Xbones can sell for. But I do agree with the others on an EVO power plant, rather than a Shovel. I've owned 3 Panheads and I don't even remember how many Shovels, so I do have a lot of experience with them. Sure Shovels are cool & vintage, but the EVO can go coast to coast continuously. You can also get a lot more H.P. out of an EVO without sacrificing dependability. You can build a stock EVO 89" and still be dependable. I've known people to run 90" Shovels thru the years, but they didn't stay together very long. Or you can just drop a huge S&S crate motor in it and still be a reliable bike. I put the S&S V111" in mine. And in the Harley world, that's a lot of motor for a 600lb bike. That's their touring motor and it's as dependable as you can hope for. Yet offers a real nice handful of throttle.

BTW, I bought 1993 FXRS stock with 35k miles on it out of Indiana. Flew out from CA to ride it back home. 2400 miles and it was an awesome trip. I put another 16k miles on that stock motor before swapping it out for the S&S. I absolutely love this machine!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

The following users liked this post:
cvaria (03-17-2016)
Old 10-13-2015, 05:17 PM
Robbie13
LOSER

Originally Posted by PanHeadRich
You shouldn't have any trouble finding a nice FXR for what your Xbones can sell for. But I do agree with the others on an EVO power plant, rather than a Shovel. I've owned 3 Panheads and I don't even remember how many Shovels, so I do have a lot of experience with them. Sure Shovels are cool & vintage, but the EVO can go coast to coast continuously. You can also get a lot more H.P. out of an EVO without sacrificing dependability. You can build a stock EVO 89" and still be dependable. I've known people to run 90" Shovels thru the years, but they didn't stay together very long. Or you can just drop a huge S&S crate motor in it and still be a reliable bike. I put the S&S V111" in mine. And in the Harley world, that's a lot of motor for a 600lb bike. That's their touring motor and it's as dependable as you can hope for. Yet offers a real nice handful of throttle.

BTW, I bought 1993 FXRS stock with 35k miles on it out of Indiana. Flew out from CA to ride it back home. 2400 miles and it was an awesome trip. I put another 16k miles on that stock motor before swapping it out for the S&S. I absolutely love this machine!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

You hardly ever see an FXR for sale around here anyway. Would love to have one. Too many bikes I want and not enough $$...

Quick Reply: Am I nuts?