Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choosing the right torque wrench...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 07:43 AM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

1/2 and 3/8 drive = Craftsman, 1/4 drive = Tekton, all good tools!

Old 10-13-2015, 08:27 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Pilot
I use 3 different "click type" CDI torque wrenches, not cheap but not Snap On expensive either. All made in the USA and have been great to use. The smallest 3/8" one is for in lbs(50 to 250), the middle 3/8" one is for the lower ft lbs(15 to 75), and the biggest 1/2" one is for the higher ft lbs(50 to 250).

I also have a small 1/4" little "torque" wrench that cost about $40 that has a scale from 0 to 60 in lbs that a needle points to as you tighten a small fastener.
CDI and Snap on are the same company. I forget which is the parent. I have wrenches from both and they are equally excellent.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:23 AM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

For speed, get a click stop, but they should be sent out and calibrated ( in aviation, every 90 days) but for long term occasional use, get a1/4" dial wrench and a 3/8" dial wrench that will stay very close to spec. for a very long time-- and, they are cheaper too.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:56 AM
ToffeeBrown
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jaxdwg
For speed, get a click stop, but they should be sent out and calibrated ( in aviation, every 90 days) but for long term occasional use, get a1/4" dial wrench and a 3/8" dial wrench that will stay very close to spec. for a very long time-- and, they are cheaper too.
My days as PMEL NCO will not soon be forgotten!

Old 10-13-2015, 11:02 AM
FXD_noob
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you all for your feedback. Seems to me I'll have to buy two now:

1. INCH-LBS for the smaller bolts (covers, cam chest, engine)
2. FT-LBS for the larger pieces (compensator, fork caps, wheels, etc)

As far as brands go, I've seen you recommended Craftsman, Tekton, and Pittsburgh...guess I'll stick to those. Snap On is just too rich for me, and it's not like I make my living out of this.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:04 AM
ToffeeBrown
Cruiser

Originally Posted by FXD_noob
Thank you all for your feedback. Seems to me I'll have to buy two now:

1. INCH-LBS for the smaller bolts (covers, cam chest, engine)
2. FT-LBS for the larger pieces (compensator, fork caps, wheels, etc)

As far as brands go, I've seen you recommended Craftsman, Tekton, and Pittsburgh...guess I'll stick to those. Snap On is just too rich for me, and it's not like I make my living out of this.
The newer craftsman stuff is nowhere near as good as the stuff from ~10 years ago and earlier. Its still probably acceptable, but I would look at Kobalt and Proto.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:07 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by ToffeeBrown
The newer craftsman stuff is nowhere near as good as the stuff from ~10 years ago and earlier. Its still probably acceptable, but I would look at Kobalt and Proto.
this is true with craftsman. I dont think it is as good as it use to be. Husky top end line (pros dont laugh) has become my go to tools when need. I have a ton of craftsman stuff but i got in all about 15 years ago

Old 10-13-2015, 11:29 AM
ToffeeBrown
Cruiser

Originally Posted by hell hound
this is true with craftsman. I dont think it is as good as it use to be. Husky top end line (pros dont laugh) has become my go to tools when need. I have a ton of craftsman stuff but i got in all about 15 years ago
Agreed. Ive got a ton of older craftsman that I would put against anything in the world, but last year the local sears closed down and they had massive sales. I bought a ton of craftsman and was disappointed to say the least. Husky, Proto, Mac, Cobalt, etc., are all good options.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:38 AM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Torque Wrenches

Originally Posted by jaxdwg

The Marine Corps aviation squadrons calibrate their torque wrenches every 2 years. They always carry a sticker with the date it was done and the due date for the next. Maybe private aviation does theirs every 90 days but if that were the case you would need at least 2 of each size for each mechanic. Unless you use them for hammers or are throwing them at one another, that seems a bit excessive.
Dial type torque wrenches are cheaper but with them you always have to see the dial while pulling torque to know when you reach the proper level. I don't know if they hold calibration longer or not.
For those guys with the click type always run them down to the lowest torque setting on the wrench before storage.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:53 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,790 Likes on 18,560 Posts

Originally Posted by dyna rider
The Marine Corps aviation squadrons calibrate their torque wrenches every 2 years. They always carry a sticker with the date it was done and the due date for the next. Maybe private aviation does theirs every 90 days but if that were the case you would need at least 2 of each size for each mechanic. Unless you use them for hammers or are throwing them at one another, that seems a bit excessive.
Dial type torque wrenches are cheaper but with them you always have to see the dial while pulling torque to know when you reach the proper level. I don't know if they hold calibration longer or not.
For those guys with the click type always run them down to the lowest torque setting on the wrench before storage.
For those guys with the click type always run them down to the lowest torque setting on the wrench before storage ... This is good advice!

Quick Reply: Choosing the right torque wrench...