Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM FXR Frame versus aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 08:12 PM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts
Default OEM FXR Frame versus aftermarket

How does the aftermarket FXR style frames, such as Paughco, compare to the original FXR frames for the same given year? I am thinking of doing a ground up build.

Anyone recommend an aftermarket frame or stick to the original. Thinking on an 87 and up.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:13 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 651 Posts

I've had a few paughco frames with very great results. One word comes to mind though when you say aftermarket fxr. Chopperguys

Old 10-20-2015, 09:25 PM
Lama
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Big Bear choppers makes the most complete and improved frame. Chopper guys out of business. Paughco frame is not near enough like OEM.

Old 10-20-2015, 11:48 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

I guess it depends on what you want the finished product to be. If you start with an aftermarket frame, in the end you'll have a 2016? custom big twin builders titled bike. If you start with let's say a 1987 FXR frame and title, in the end you'll have a 1987 FXR. I've seen used & titled FXR frames from $2k to $3k. So the better quality frames will be priced about the same as stock. Here's a stock frame currently on eBay, but this guys known to be "top Dollar" on all FXR parts. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-FXRD-...-/261592845869

Whichever direction you go, the last thing you want to skimp on would be the frame, being that it's the entire basis of the bike. The stock frame has endured the test of time and we all know that it's great. A couple of friends have the Big Bear Choppers Titanium's and they've showed me some extra gussets that make them even stronger than stock. I've rode those bikes and they handle much better than my FXR, but that Ohlin's fork has a lot to do with that. So IMO either of those options would be a good way to go. There may by other good frame options out there as well. But I don't know of them.

If I was going to build a ground-up FXR or FXR clone, I think I'd let the build determine which frame to use. If I was going to use a lot of used rebuilt FXR parts, I'd go with the FXR frame. But if I was going all custom motor, fork, trans, wheels, etc. I go with the aftermarket frame.

But that's just my thoughts. Either way it should be a fun project and you'll end up with a great ride eventually.

Old 10-21-2015, 12:39 AM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

Thanks Panhead. My thoughts are to match the fxr frame with ohlins front end and S&S crate. Not really concerned whether its an original FXR frame or a clone as long as it rides well. I dont plan on selling as it will be replacing my current Dyna. Plus fxr's dont have any value in the Philippines as everyone rides a softy.

My concern is whether its better to by a 20+ year old frame site unseen or pick up the new BBC fxr copy for a bit less. If the BBC is same or better than the original, then my questions been answered.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:16 AM
ToffeeBrown
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Big Bear Choppers stuff is the king of the hill right now.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:18 AM
Odelay
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ToffeeBrown
Big Bear Choppers stuff is the king of the hill right now.
Gotta disagree here. BBC is still feeling it from all the people they ripped off a few years ago. Their stuff looks nice but not a lot of people out here in the know are buying it. I don't know anyone running their parts.

If you can find a Chopper Guys frame then jump on it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHOPPER-GUYS...-/141691708052

Old 10-21-2015, 01:53 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Regardless of their past bankruptcy, BBC builds the best aftermarket FXR frame that I know of, and rode. You're doing what I hope to do some day, in building a ground up high performance custom FXR clone. Ultimately I'd like to build a high performance FXRT clone and I believe BBC has just about all the parts to do it.

I should also mention, the Ohlin's front end they use on their Titanium's aren't just pulled off the shelf. Those are made to specification for that bike, based on performance & weight.

I put a few hundred miles on my buds Titanium and I've never rode a better handling big twin. I really thought I couldn't keep up with him in the canyons because of his riding skills. But when we switch bikes, I literally left him in the dirt and he didn't have a chance of keeping up with me. When we finally pulled over he said: Damn bud, I had know idea you were working so hard trying keeping up on your bike. And what could I say, it was true, I was working hard trying to keep up.

Also, again just IMO, I believe using an original FXR frame would somewhat devalue a high end, high performance build like you're considering.

Old 10-21-2015, 02:24 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Here is my Chopper Guys FXR with an S&S 124 sidewinder and Baker 6 speed. Police bags, JD FXDXT fairing,13.5" shocks, Storz/Ceriani inverted front end and of course HogPro rims.

This bike kind landed in my lap as it was built here long before I had ever heard of HogPro. It sure is a fun bike.

Old 10-21-2015, 03:20 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

If you are going to buy a BBC frame, then why not the kit for ~ 30K? I don't see that you can reinvent a better end result for less $$....

Quick Reply: OEM FXR Frame versus aftermarket