Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you do with your key?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 09:09 AM
apblingAEW
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What do you do with your key?

So I was thinking the other day - I never ever have my key with me when I ride. In my area, I don't really think twice about anyone stealing my bike, and really, if they want it that bad, take it - I have insurance. But I was curious if other people keep their keys with them and actually use it when they get somewhere and get off. Seems like a PITA to me to have to dig the key out of my pocket, lift the little flapper and use the key.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:17 AM
liberty911
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I lock my bike when I go somewhere. If it gets stolen while locked, I have peace of mind knowing I did my part to prevent it.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:11 AM
FatBobMark
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I lock my bike and I have the factory installed alarm system. I have a lot of time and money in my bike and I don't want it easy for someone to take it.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:22 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

I have a the HD fob security system. When I park in my condo garage or in my office parking lot, I switch off and go. If I park anywhere else, I lock the ignition. If I'm feeling particularly uneasy about where it is, I'll lock the neck as well.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:46 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

I have a Street Bob so yeah....I take the key with me, EVERYWHERE. And what is this "flapper" you speak of ???

I have always been taught use locks to keep honest people honest. If you don't that's cool. Just try not to get upset at all if it does get stolen. Like Liberty said at least you did your part. All that being said you might be just fine for the rest of your life with someone never trying to turn your ignition on. Also, do remember you probably have a deductible on your insurance. So there will most likely be some cost involved.

I always lock the neck on my bike because for me it's a natural movement to turn the key until the neck is locked and pull out the key. Just natural to me. When I travel if I'm somewhere I feel might be at least a little iffy, I have cable locks for the bikes as well. Depending on how many people are with us we might lock all the bikes together, or lock them to something like a light pole.

Last edited by BigDogIdaho; 11-05-2015 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:48 AM
Roadblock_MN
Road Master
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

My key is always in my pocket, but I rarely lock the ignition. My main reason is to lock my bags, depending on where I am and what I am doing...or what is in the bag

Old 11-05-2015, 10:51 AM
RR611
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I carry my key in my SDC T Bar bag and lock my ignition (Flapper) and neck whenever I leave my bike somewhere. I have too much $$$ in aftermarket parts to not lock it down - and insurance usually does not cover mods. If i think the area is extra sketchy I use a gun lock on the front rotor / wheel.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:06 AM
union53
Road Captain
Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

Mine is stuck to my key chain which is typically in the front pouch while riding. If I'm going in somewhere that I can't see the bike or it's an extended stay I'll lock it but normally it just hangs out in the pouch.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:28 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Jacket pocket. It has my garage opener fob so I always carry it. I lock the ignition and forks whenever I'm in a higher risk area. Around home I don't usually bother.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:34 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Quick Reply: What do you do with your key?