Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tank lift just for looks?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 09:22 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts
Default Tank lift just for looks?

I have my tank off for paint, and I was thinking about it. Why tank lifts? I assume just for looks, but is there any advantage to doing it?

Old 11-06-2015, 09:50 AM
emperor wurm
Road Warrior
Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

supposedly better cooling, you can clean the top of the heads, eaiser access...

Im pretty sure its for looks, thats the only reason i am doing mine....how big are you going? I was thinking 2in.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:01 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

I don't know that mine performs any different. I have gotten many compliments on the looks though. It is always something you can take off down the road if you want also.

Some people say their fuel gauges were off after the install of one. Sure mine is by a bit but I don't like to run on fumes so it just makes me fill up a few miles earlier than I would have anyway.

If you are going to purchase one I would recommend DK Custom's kit. They always make good stuff. I made my own and did do a small thread on it. Wish I would have taken more pictures and went into more detail.

If you do want to go the DIY route it is really easy, and if you have questions feel free to ask me!

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...tank-lift.html

Last edited by BigDogIdaho; 11-06-2015 at 10:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
prican_2000 (02-23-2017)
Old 11-06-2015, 10:46 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by emperor wurm
supposedly better cooling, you can clean the top of the heads, eaiser access...

Im pretty sure its for looks, thats the only reason i am doing mine....how big are you going? I was thinking 2in.
i want to go 2in as well. what kit are you plotting on? i don't like the cheap looking ones like this:

i like this one, just don't like the price:

https://chopperstyle.net/shop/dyna-s...tank-lift-kit/

Amazon.com: Custom Harley-Davidson Dyna Glide Gas Tank Lift Kit 3 inch, Fits 1995-2009: Automotive Amazon.com: Custom Harley-Davidson Dyna Glide Gas Tank Lift Kit 3 inch, Fits 1995-2009: Automotive

Old 11-06-2015, 10:47 AM
Mchad
Club Member

BigDog, for the $40 that the DK set it, that will be the way to go, thanks though.

Emp, 2" is what I would go for.

(I'm sure my girl will appreciate the extra 2" as well...)

Old 11-06-2015, 10:51 AM
Mchad
Club Member

That chopper style kit looks nice solid.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:59 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
It was a 2" that I made for about 5 bucks. Did not need a new crossover hose.
I bought 2 of these at 2"

You keep the flat part and can toss the rest.
Then rough up the flat part and paint it whatever color you would like. (I did flat black).

I was able to reuse the bolt that was there for the lower mount. Then 2 5/16" bolts for the top.
It would've been nice to have an extra set of hands to make it a bit easier but I did it by myself. Once I cut the zip tie that held a fuel line to the neck it took probably 10 - 15 minutes to do.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how is this holding up? does it move around? i could do this to see if i like the look before committing to a super sturdy version.

either way, GOOD MAN!

Old 11-06-2015, 10:59 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
I have my tank off for paint, and I was thinking about it. Why tank lifts? I assume just for looks, but is there any advantage to doing it?
My reason for using tank lifts is appearance, to my eye the bike has more of a flow to it with the tank lifted. I've done 2" and 3" lifts depending on height of the bars. With my '13 Wide Glide using 2" riser extensions I went with the DK Customs 2" lift. I do like the added benefit of easier cleaning and showing off those rocker covers, too...

Old 11-06-2015, 12:39 PM
emperor wurm
Road Warrior
Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
I don't know that mine performs any different. I have gotten many compliments on the looks though. It is always something you can take off down the road if you want also.

Some people say their fuel gauges were off after the install of one. Sure mine is by a bit but I don't like to run on fumes so it just makes me fill up a few miles earlier than I would have anyway.

If you are going to purchase one I would recommend DK Custom's kit. They always make good stuff. I made my own and did do a small thread on it. Wish I would have taken more pictures and went into more detail.

If you do want to go the DIY route it is really easy, and if you have questions feel free to ask me!

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...tank-lift.html

How is your DIY set up working out? Still holding strong? Id rather spend 4 dollars then 40....you DIDNT have to replace the crossover tube?

Old 11-06-2015, 08:00 PM
kevinckb3
Advanced
Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by emperor wurm
How is your DIY set up working out? Still holding strong? Id rather spend 4 dollars then 40....you DIDNT have to replace the crossover tube?
did you change out the bars on your FXDL? If not that new 2 way adjustment riser blocks the 2" tank lift . I'm swapping mine out this winter

Quick Reply: Tank lift just for looks?