Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tricking the bike into thinking it is full

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 08:45 AM
MFC
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Tricking the bike into thinking it is full

I have just replaced the fuel gauge with a dummy cap on my 2014 streetbob. I feel the look is cleaner and I use the OD to tell me when to refuel. I have run into a little problem that someone may be able to help with.

So my Low Fuel light stays on now because the absence of the gauge, I assume it has something to do with resistance, but I am not 100% sure and would like to know if anyone has a fix for this. If I do need a resistor then what wires am I putting it between and how big of a resistor? I have looked at other threads regarding this problem and none of them have been specific on how to fix it, or they are really old. If anyone can help that would be great.!

Old 11-13-2015, 12:49 PM
MFC
Cruiser

Anybody ?????????.... i know this thread isnt about luggage racks/bags, seat or handle bar review but ........Anyone ??

Old 11-13-2015, 02:44 PM
fugawi
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

what i did is to disassemble the original fuel gauge and take the electronic guts and put it under the dummy cap. that way you can plug in the old gauge and still have low fuel warning with the light off when full.. it will wreck the original gauge but it worked for me as I'm not going back to stock.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:59 AM
LunaticFringe
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

you're right the gauge should work by resistance, you could reverse engineer it by submerging it in fuel & then using a mutlimeter to read the resistance, and then get a resistor to match the correct resistance.,

I surprised you took it off, the gauge isn't perfect but it is consistent, I know when mine gets to E I have about 120 miles on the tank every time. and personally I think it looks cool since it matches my speedo & tach. I cold see going to a flush mount gauge though.

Last edited by LunaticFringe; 11-14-2015 at 07:09 AM.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:24 AM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/721-859
This is interesting how you can set the light indicator to your desired level.
Regardless I wonder if using this as an example you could manipulate the original wiring to adapt to another led on the bike to show low fuel.

Old 11-14-2015, 02:37 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

Originally Posted by fugawi
what i did is to disassemble the original fuel gauge and take the electronic guts and put it under the dummy cap. that way you can plug in the old gauge and still have low fuel warning with the light off when full.. it will wreck the original gauge but it worked for me as I'm not going back to stock.
I did something similar on my Softail. Tried a few different resistors, could not get it to work correctly, so I just hooked the original dummy cap back up and hid it under the tank (I have a tank lift, so it fit).

Difference is, it was not just my low fuel warning that was on, it was also my gas gauge not working. Now it does.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 11-16-2015, 08:28 AM
AUTOT3K
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fugawi
OP, if you decide to go the route of disassembling the OE gauge but want to keep yours as a spare; Id be willing to let my factory 15 FXDF gauge go (if it'll work for you) just PM me

Old 11-16-2015, 09:06 AM
MFC
Cruiser

I was able to make the light go away. because i dont need the "dummy" light on my speedo, I just put a high resistance resistor between the yellow and orange wire, this tricks the bike into thinking the full. of course if you would want to keep the "dummy" light then all you would need to do is put a resistor of about 240ohms (I think that is correct).