Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ethanol 93 vs ethanol free 89

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 05:52 PM
SwarleyManson62
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ethanol 93 vs ethanol free 89

Hey,

So Tampa, FL finally has some ethanol free gas again! The issue being it's 89, i've always put 93 in my bike and as far as i'm aware it's what is recommended as well.

So the question is...no longer having to worry about what ethanol is doing to the bike, or putting lesser gas in? What are your thoughts.
thanks guys

Old 11-18-2015, 06:02 PM
dyna105
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Heck, I would try a tank or two. See how the engine reacts. Most important to me would be that I heard no spark-knock.

I keep 93 ethanol free in mine. Still not able to tell a difference from 93 with ethanol.Well except the price...lol The free is not all that free.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:07 PM
kontiki
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,279 Likes on 1,155 Posts

I agree - give it a try and see how she runs. You can always do a mixture - one tank of 93 and one of 89. The grade will mix and result in an Octane rating somewhere in between - depending on how much is left in the tank of the other grade.

I have only found either 87 or 93 grade no-ethanol gas around here or I would try that myself.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:30 AM
Lucky Doug
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Recommended is 89 for my bike. I have stage 1 with a TFI. I have run 87 no corn with no problem and no discernible difference in performance from 91 octane ethanol.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:51 AM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 666 Posts

I'd try it, and if it pings add a little octane booster.
What's the price difference?
The few times I was able to get ethanol-free gas on road trips, I noticed an increase in power and better gas mileage. Cost was about a buck higher per gallon though.

Old 11-19-2015, 12:25 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

interesting
i think most all the gas around here has a little ethonal
i could be wrong, but i dont remember seeing it

i do know that if i get a tank of "bad gas" the bike runs very rough

Old 11-19-2015, 01:16 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

In my opinion the octane rating is much more important than the ethanol content.

Here's why...

The octane requirements of any given engine are paramount. I'm not talking about the manufacturer's octane requirement or recommendation, but rather the real-world true octane required to prevent pinging. If the engine runs fine without any hint of pinging on 89 octane, then 89 octane is perfectly acceptable. If not, then you need to up the octane of the fuel and if that means 91 or 93 octane fuel w/ethanol, then so be it. Engine knocking/pinging as a result of insufficient octane can be catastrophic, especially over prolonged periods.

The downsides of any ethanol in the fuel are not nearly as significant. There are millions of vehicles on the road that run ethanol blended fuel everyday without any ill-effects. While many of the downside claims relative to ethanol blended fuels are technically true, they are also greatly exaggerated. Most vehicles will never experience an ethanol related problem.

You and/or your bike will simply never know the difference between straight fuel or ethanol blended fuel and anyone who claims otherwise is a part of the exaggeration I referenced earlier, with one exception... Fuel mileage will decrease approximately 5% with 10% ethanol blended fuel. Other than that, you'd be hard-pressed to measure any performance difference, and you certainly will not feel any performance difference.

Last edited by 2black1s; 11-19-2015 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:34 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Use the proper octane for running. Use nonethanol if storing. I run non-ethanol all year because non-ethanol premium is available in WI. But the main problem with ethanol gas is it gets gummy when stored, its OK when used, though mileage suffers.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:29 PM
brimic
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Fuel mileage will decrease approximately 5% with 10% ethanol blended fuel. Other than that, you'd be hard-pressed to measure any performance difference, and you certainly will not feel any performance difference.
That.

Ethanol has a lower BTU rating than gasoline, but the difference is handled by the change in the injector cycling (they stay open slightly longer on each square wave cycle) or by carbuerator jetting, the downside is not performance, but that you burn more fuel- typically a couple of percent more in standard 10% blends.

I have a friend who put together a MegaSquirt injection system on a small block oldsmobile that puts out more than 600hp- running on E85. He set it up for E85 because its much cheaper and more available than racing fuel.

Old 11-19-2015, 04:05 PM
SwarleyManson62
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the info guys... Sounds to me like keeping with the 93 w/ethanol is going to be my best bet. I drop Stabil in it every couple fill ups anyway to fight any build up.

I tried the 89 ethanol free last night and my engine is definitely running a little louder and rougher feeling, so long story short...unless wawa starts carrying ethanol free 93...screw that

Quick Reply: ethanol 93 vs ethanol free 89