Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apparently, you get what you pay for...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 05:45 AM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

Paint is all about prep mainly. Sounds like when resprayed they didn't have a good surface to bond to in some areas. Did you fully disassemble and pull all the components and internals when brought to them, or did they just mask the fuel pump plate cover and quick connector? I'd think they will stand behind it but I would also be cautious to how you approach them. Show concern yet be polite and they will likely do a good job.

Old 11-28-2015, 06:33 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

No, it wasn't disassembled. Whatever I do now clearly I'll have to disassemble it. Was unclear on the procedure, and there was what appeared to be a great post here, but the photos were gone. However I found a couple of videos which in combination with the post and the service manual, makes it look relatively easy.

I'm still half tempted to just buy a factory painted tank and swap my internals, but that's the most expensive option clearly. There is a high end custom painter a couple towns away - I may give them a call too. At least it's November... Only problem (besides the pain in the *** factor) is I was planning on Ohlins cartridges for my forks after Christmas, and this may dip into that budget!

Old 11-28-2015, 06:54 AM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
No, it wasn't disassembled. Whatever I do now clearly I'll have to disassemble it. Was unclear on the procedure, and there was what appeared to be a great post here, but the photos were gone. However I found a couple of videos which in combination with the post and the service manual, makes it look relatively easy.

I'm still half tempted to just buy a factory painted tank and swap my internals, but that's the most expensive option clearly. There is a high end custom painter a couple towns away - I may give them a call too. At least it's November... Only problem (besides the pain in the *** factor) is I was planning on Ohlins cartridges for my forks after Christmas, and this may dip into that budget!
I wouldn't get a different tank. If anything have yours stripped and primer and respray. Talk to the shop again and see what they are willing to do for you first. If not send it off to panhead rich if he will paint it for you? You have some options. Personally I think the shop rushed it to get it back to you and didn't get it prepped well. Surely they can redo it and may not charge you anything. Just fully disassemble it so they can spray it without working around anything still attached to it. Good Luck.

Old 11-28-2015, 03:22 PM
Cbb129
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

These guys are doing my tank as we speak, great communication and 5 year warranty.

http://www.colormaniapaint.com/

Old 11-28-2015, 04:10 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

Nothing sets a bike apart from the herd like custom paint. Nothing.

Old 11-28-2015, 04:35 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Talk to the painter about the issue and if they can't/won't make it right. strip the tank bare and find a good Powder coater this time instead. If the paint is just flaking off the actual neck area under the cap that is pretty normal and shouldn't cause concern. If it is outside of the cap area you definitely have a problem.

Last edited by tnriverluver; 11-28-2015 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:43 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,004 Likes on 2,817 Posts

I bet they didn't sand blast your tanks before painting. You have to sand blast so the primer can get a bite on the metal then the paint will get a bite on the primer.

Oh, and hopefully they didn't paint the gasket surface on the filler neck. If they did then fumes will get out and attack the paint under the cap lip.

Old 11-28-2015, 07:32 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,309 Likes on 2,356 Posts

I would have taken a painter with me to listen for any kind of BS the original painter would have passed back to the customer. Then if your "guest" was of any help then that would be my next painter.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:07 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by Hey Man
I bet they didn't sand blast your tanks before painting. You have to sand blast so the primer can get a bite on the metal then the paint will get a bite on the primer.

Oh, and hopefully they didn't paint the gasket surface on the filler neck. If they did then fumes will get out and attack the paint under the cap lip.
Yeah, they did that too. That's the reason for the soft, flaking paint under the gas cap. Depending on what happens and when I'll probably hit the ring with a scuffing pad to at least get the wet paint off it...

Old 11-28-2015, 10:10 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
I would have taken a painter with me to listen for any kind of BS the original painter would have passed back to the customer. Then if your "guest" was of any help then that would be my next painter.
Unfortunately, my Rolodex is kinda light on painters... Good idea though, but I got no one I could bring with me. Also, I haven't talked to the shop yet, as I only noticed this on Wed - Thursday was thanksgiving and Friday I expected them closed. So I'll talk to them this week.

Quick Reply: Apparently, you get what you pay for...