Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apparently, you get what you pay for...

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 06:03 AM
HrdNox
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 213 Likes on 183 Posts

I feel your pain! Whoever you take it to next go around make sure to take the s**t out of the tank......The fuel sloshing around in there is just begging to jack things up.The more you can do to avoid issues the better.They can also flip it,turn it, or hang it without worry.It's a simple job.Sorry about your luck.

Old 11-29-2015, 07:50 AM
izzyryder
Road Warrior
Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by HrdNox
I feel your pain! Whoever you take it to next go around make sure to take the s**t out of the tank......The fuel sloshing around in there is just begging to jack things up.The more you can do to avoid issues the better.They can also flip it,turn it, or hang it without worry.It's a simple job.Sorry about your luck.
I'm sure he drained the tank before they painted it. As for the pump and everything else what would be the need to remove it?

To the OP: this really sucks. When you were mounting the tank back on the bike did you notice any problems then?

It sounds to me like the original paint job they did was fine, but when they did the 2nd one they just sprayed over it to get it done quickly.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:33 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

This sucks brother but you know what they also say? Third time's a charm!!
I know that doesn't help much at all but hopefully the shop will make it right. Like others have said I suspect it's the second time that is the culprit.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:39 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,779 Likes on 18,557 Posts

FWIW ... You were happy with the results of the initial job, and through no fault of theirs they opted to repair it for you. They sound like reputable people. Give them the opportunity to do another great job.

Old 11-29-2015, 09:11 AM
NSR
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by slyedog
...Talk to the shop again and see what they are willing to do for you first. If not send it off to panhead rich if he will paint it for you? You have some options...

You mean Richie Pan? If so, he was killed this past June....

To the OP, sucks man. I wouldn't go back to the guys who did your tank. Find a place that does bikes.
Let the rest of us know who did it, so we can avoid the place.

Old 11-29-2015, 09:18 AM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

OP???? Do you know if they took it down to metal the first time they sprayed it or if they just painted over the factory paint? Same with the second? Does the tank now have 3 layers of paint?

Old 11-29-2015, 09:32 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Let me give an update. I think I jumped the gun. The paint was definitely lifting around the fill neck, but from what I've read, this isn't that uncommon for shops that don't work on bikes. So I used a stripper pad cut down real small and removed the paint around the gas cap sealing ring on the tank. I ordered a can of POR-15 fuel tank sealer that I understand is really good for sealing the edge of the paint to prevent any further lift. I'll apply it around the recess just outside the sealing ring at the fill. That should resolve that problem. The scuffing I also think is my mistake. Since getting the tank back, I have avoided touching it with anything, no wash, no wax, nada. The garage where I park is pretty dusty (about 40 cars) and I think I had a layer of abrasive dust that I may have ground into the paint when I rubbed it. I rinsed off the tank after using the stripper pad and when clean, it didn't make the marks it did before. So I think I'm actually ok. I used a little 3m hand glaze and the scuffs got a lot better. I didn't want to mess with it too much yet, but I think with a little more effort it'll clean right up. I'll let cure another couple weeks before I mess with it. I'd like to put a cover over it but I thought you're not supposed to cover the new paint for a month or so to let it finish off gassing. So I'll just be careful about touching the paint until it's washed and waxed I guess.

Apologies for the false alarm, but I'm glad I may not have a bigger problem. Thanks for all the comments (well, most of them at least) and concern!

Old 11-29-2015, 09:36 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Hope it works out! The painter did an awesome job of applying the paint from the pictures so I feel he must have a clue as to what he is doing. Fingers crossed for ya!