Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apparently, you get what you pay for...

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 03:27 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts
Default Apparently, you get what you pay for...

I had my tank painted about three weeks ago, by a local body shop. Did a great job, until I dropped a tool on it and ruined it (some of you probably remember the thread...) and they repainted it. Installed it, looked great. Today, after a nice 60deg day I went for a ride and at the gas station while filling her back up, I noticed some flaking around the area where the gas cap gasket sealed against the tank. Rubbed it and the paint seemed wet and peeled off. I noticed a scuff on the paint around the circumference where a fingertip may have brushed the paint when turning the cap. So I *touched* the paint in another area and it left a mark. Just a light rub, but definitely in the paint. Apparently either not enough harder was used or something else is wrong. What a ****ing nightmare. At this point I have to drain, pull the tank and either have them redo it again or find another shop. I suspect the original paint wasn't fully cured when they sprayed over it to fix my damage and that never fully dried? No idea, not a paint guy. All I know is at this point I'm tempted to do what I should have in the first place and order a new vivid black tank from the factory. Goddammit to hell.

Last edited by Mchad; 11-27-2015 at 03:29 PM.
Old 11-27-2015, 04:02 PM
fugawi
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

possibly a bad shop. most body shops are for production as fast as they can. find a good custom auto shop. they may cost more but you get what you pay for......been there, done that, got the t-shirt..

Old 11-27-2015, 04:44 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

The paint should have been pretty much cured after a day or two. Something is wrong here as it is a chemical reaction drying moreso than temp related. Especially since they stated they baked it extra this second go around.

Last edited by tnriverluver; 11-27-2015 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:18 PM
Davdoodles
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

Nightmare! Sorry to hear about that. Oh well, lemons from lemonade and all that poop.

It's always possible they mixed a bad batch (was it two-pack stuff?) and will need to strip it right back and start from fresh metal. If so, given they seem to have done the right thing by you so far it might be worth giving them another shot (espec given they'd have to do it for free). I would avoid any suggestion that they strip parts of it and touch it up. Back to bare metal or nuffin' I reckon!

This is just a thought but If I ever strip my tank back to bare metal I'd be inclined to clear coat it and leave the metal showing, maybe with some cool graphics. A bit like this-guy-that-used-to-look-not-totally-bizarre's bike:

Old 11-27-2015, 05:25 PM
NMfxdf
Tourer
Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Davdoodles
Nightmare! Sorry to hear about that. Oh well, lemons from lemonade and all that poop.

It's always possible they mixed a bad batch (was it two-pack stuff?) and will need to strip it right back and start from fresh metal. If so, given they seem to have done the right thing by you so far it might be worth giving them another shot (espec given they'd have to do it for free). I would avoid any suggestion that they strip parts of it and touch it up. Back to bare metal or nuffin' I reckon!

This is just a thought but If I ever strip my tank back to bare metal I'd be inclined to clear coat it and leave the metal showing, maybe with some cool graphics. A bit like this-guy-that-used-to-look-not-totally-bizarre's bike:

This was always one of my favorite motorcycles!

Old 11-27-2015, 06:17 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
Apparently, you get what you pay for...
That's just an overused and tired cliche, which means nothing. People get more and less than what they paid for quite regularly. Sometimes I pay top dollar, and other times I find cheap stuff which is just as good.

Old 11-27-2015, 06:35 PM
fxdlx
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts

Yep! I paid top dollar for a custom Dynamics LED tail light and wouldn't you know, the f'n lens cover is thiner cheaper plastic than some cheap ones. The board may be good, but if the cover breaks it's toast when it hits the pavement.

Old 11-27-2015, 06:40 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
That's just an overused and tired cliche, which means nothing. People get more and less than what they paid for quite regularly. Sometimes I pay top dollar, and other times I find cheap stuff which is just as good.
Real helpful. Thanks for the contribution.

Last edited by Mchad; 11-27-2015 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:44 PM
Mchad
Club Member

That's what I'm figuring. However I'm not having an auto body shop disassemble my tank internals. Looking at the service manual, getting the pump and level float out doesn't look like too much of a challenge, but I don't see anything on the fuel line connector on the bottom of the tank - there's a hose going from it to the fuel pump. Any idea how that comes out? And is there anything else inside I need to look at? Thanks.

Old 11-28-2015, 05:28 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 180 Likes on 139 Posts

friend of mine did this and then used a 2" wire brush drill attachment to make an overlapping design.. once done he wiped it down with acetone and couple coats of clear... freaking thing came out GREAT!!!.. all has to be done quickly though as a fine coat of rust will form fast

Quick Reply: Apparently, you get what you pay for...