Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pesky Intermittent Electrical Problem Solved

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 08:54 PM
kbootch
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pesky Intermittent Electrical Problem Solved

I am writing this post with the hope that it helps someone solve an electrical problem that haunted me for a very long time – the intermittent loss of all electrical power. Harley provides positive terminal snap connectors for every male/female electrical connection EXCEPT FOR THE MOST IMPORTANT CONNECTOR OF ALL - the main power switch. I think there was a recall for this issue – I missed it if there was one.

My Dyna Wide has ~82,000 miles and my problem began simply enough. The main power connector under the dash would separate from the switch – total loss of electrical power. After this happened (sometimes I’m a bit slow in the head) a number of times, I ZIP tied the plug and switch together. Easy solution you would think.

Here is where the headache began – total loss of power even with the switch and plug firmly tied together. The power loss would occur after as short a time as 5 minutes. Take the dash off, wiggle the terminals, start the engine and drive off – for another 5 minutes. Repeat.

I finally figured out that the main circuit breaker was tripping. Here I am wiggling wires simply giving the circuit breaker time to cool and reset. The circuit breaker, of course, was not at fault. The problem was corroded and loose fitting terminal ends and dirty switch tabs. This created a voltage drop at the switch terminals resulting in a large enough current increase (P=IxV) to trip the main circuit breaker. That is my assessment because $4.00 worth of new terminal ends and a thorough cleaning of the switch tabs solved the problem. The problem has never re-occurred after more than 1,000 miles.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:08 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

gives you an idea why it costs so much to get an electrical problem repaired at a dealer service center...the fix for the most vexing problem is cheap and easy most of the time...it's all those man-hours spent troubleshooting the problem that cost.

Going out on the "shoulda-woulda-coulda" limb here, the connector shoulda have been a big red flag to your issues and, as you eventually discovered, was your problem all along. If you woulda paid attention to something that wasn't right with a critical junction in your electrical system when the connector issue happened and replaced the parts instead of going the band-aid fix way, you coulda saved yourself a lot of aggravation and angst...just say'n...

Happy for you that you did get it fixed and are back on the road again. Ride on!

Old 12-03-2015, 09:19 PM
kbootch
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skinman13
gives you an idea why it costs so much to get an electrical problem repaired at a dealer service center...the fix for the most vexing problem is cheap and easy most of the time...it's all those man-hours spent troubleshooting the problem that cost.

Going out on the "shoulda-woulda-coulda" limb here, the connector shoulda have been a big red flag to your issues and, as you eventually discovered, was your problem all along. If you woulda paid attention to something that wasn't right with a critical junction in your electrical system when the connector issue happened and replaced the parts instead of going the band-aid fix way, you coulda saved yourself a lot of aggravation and angst...just say'n...

Happy for you that you did get it fixed and are back on the road again. Ride on!
I should have added that the "ZIP" ties worked for a couple of years. And then corrosion stepped in.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:30 PM
scooterbum46
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

!
Spoken like a true Monday Morning Quarterback

Old 12-04-2015, 12:50 AM
linewatch
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I appreciate that you came back to us with a solution. Thanks and good job on the fix.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:47 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by kbootch
I should have added that the "ZIP" ties worked for a couple of years. And then corrosion stepped in.
A band-aid fix is a temporary fix...fixate on the word, "temporary," and you will get it.

The mechanical integrity of the connection was severely compromised which you addressed with a seemingly sound temporary fix, the zip ties, which predictably failed at a critical time for you. Murphy's Law.

Where exactly was this corrosion? At the compromised connector or elsewhere? I am not clear on that point, but if it was at this same connector, then refer back to the above Murphy's Law. Preventative maintenance is necessary to keep your ride RTG at any time. A brush and a little contact cleaner, some effort, followed by a dab of silicon grease goes a long way with keeping electrical connections corrosion under control.

Again, like I said, I am glad you got it figured out and are back on the road...

Old 12-04-2015, 06:54 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by scooterbum46
And, a refreshing response from someone who probably has very little, if any, experience troubleshooting automotive electrical and electronic systems problems.

Monday Morning Quarterbacking is what I do when I discuss professional football...because I don't know anything about it. However, this Monday Morning Quarterback has a professional background in this kind of stuff...so, it ain't Monday Morning Quarterbacking here, it is many years of experience doing this stuff and trying to share some of that knowledge to help the OP to prevent a potentially recurring issue on his older ride. I have been down this road many, many times, and I KNOW that a band-aid repair to an exposed electrical connection will eventually fail, and at the worst possible time and place, so it must be fixed correctly ASAP.

Peace, out.

Last edited by skinman13; 12-04-2015 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:52 PM
scooterbum46
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

And, a refreshing response from someone who probably has very little, if any, experience troubleshooting automotive electrical and electronic systems problems.

Monday Morning Quarterbacking is what I do when I discuss professional football...because I don't know anything about it. However, this Monday Morning Quarterback has a professional background in this kind of stuff...so, it ain't Monday Morning Quarterbacking here, it is many years of experience doing this stuff and trying to share some of that knowledge to help the OP to prevent a potentially recurring issue on his older ride. I have been down this road many, many times, and I KNOW that a band-aid repair to an exposed electrical connection will eventually fail, and at the worst possible time and place, so it must be fixed correctly ASAP.

Peace, out.
Good for you, glad you've got all that experience . I' sure you probably share it whenever you've got the opportunity, making sure that your recipient is reminded what an doofus he is for not doing a root cause analysis.

Your technical explanation was fine, your delivery less than. I found the OP's wanting to share his experience in the true spirit of belonging to a forum. BTW - I've probably got under dash knuckle scars older than you.....

Old 12-04-2015, 07:05 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,004 Likes on 2,817 Posts

You can't fool electricity.

Thanks for posting your experience and the cure.

Old 12-06-2015, 12:55 AM
AKFXD
Road Captain
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by scooterbum46
That's a very... kind way of putting it. The title I was thinking of giving him would surely have been deleted and I would probably be given a warning by a moderator.

Quick Reply: Pesky Intermittent Electrical Problem Solved