Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Never enough oil threads, Bel-ray 85 to Redline and now back to Bel-Ray. Any issues?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 11:52 AM
devildocjames
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Never enough oil threads, Bel-ray 85 to Amsoil and now back to Bel-Ray. Any issues?

So yeah, just a quick question or debate here...

I returned from Sturgis, did my 15k (ish) service and now I'm just over 20k. Here's what I put in at 15k:

-BelRay Primary fluid
-Amsoil Synthetic V-Twin (trans) (I HAD BelRay 85w-140 for about 2k miles prior to switching to Amsoil)
-Red Line 20w-50

I'm probably going to leave the primary alone. I just did a clutch adjustment yesterday and she's back to smooth shifts. (no hard pulls at end).

I wanted to go back to Amsoil for the motor, but, nowhere around sells it on the shelf anymore. Not Harley and not CycleGear. If I want to get it I have to buy it online or take an hour road trip to a shop that has it. So, for now I wil have an extra quart of Amsoil 20w-50 just hanging out in the garage. I do have an extra quart of Redline, which is sold at most places near me. I don't wanna go to Mobil and CycleGear sells some other oils I haven't seen before, in lieu of Amsoil now. So I guess Redline it is! Oh and I seem to get a tapping or ticking sound unless she's warmed above 150*F-ish, since I switched to Redline. This is why I wanted to go back to Amsoil.

My question is going from the Amsoil Synthetic V-Twin, back to the BelRay Hypoid 85w-140 going to be an issue? When I ran it, my shifts were VERY smooth. I think I switched to Amsoil trans oil because I thought the BelRay may have been contributing to heat issues. I have come to the conclusion that the 103's just run a little hotter than my Sporty used to. I didn't notice much of a heat change, until the cooler SoCal months have rolled in, in the morning.

Is there an issue with going back to dino, from syn, in the gearbox? And what about the thickness? My morning ride is a nice mix of freeway and back roads at 0500-0600 in the morning and ambient temps of 50*F or so.

I'm letting my air filter oil dry for a bit longer, then going to get my motor oil. I will check back in a little bit and see if anyone has input.

Thanks and keep the rubber down!

Last edited by devildocjames; 12-06-2015 at 11:52 AM. Reason: title
Old 12-06-2015, 12:20 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

You're not going to have any problems, I've experimented with multiple fluids in my primary and transmission; I've switched from dino to synth many times looking for the holy grail of fluids I think I changed my primary a dozen times in a several week period earlier this year. Synth, dino, ATF; no problems. Same with the transmission, several changes between synth and dino, never any problems.

Just do a complete drain; I'll stand up the Wide Glide and rock her left and right to drain as much of the fluid as possible... FYI, I found Redline V-Twin transmission fluid with shockproof was the absolute best in my transmission, Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 synthetic in the primary...

Edit: I should have added, I also tried multiple dino and synthetics in the engine, LiquiMoly 10W-60 synthetic was the very best when it came to top end noise, my top end is near stone quiet running it. You can get LiquiMoly at any NAPA store or Amazon...

Last edited by TinCupChalice; 12-06-2015 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-06-2015, 04:34 PM
devildocjames
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
You're not going to have any problems, I've experimented with multiple fluids in my primary and transmission; I've switched from dino to synth many times looking for the holy grail of fluids I think I changed my primary a dozen times in a several week period earlier this year. Synth, dino, ATF; no problems. Same with the transmission, several changes between synth and dino, never any problems.

Just do a complete drain; I'll stand up the Wide Glide and rock her left and right to drain as much of the fluid as possible... FYI, I found Redline V-Twin transmission fluid with shockproof was the absolute best in my transmission, Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 synthetic in the primary...

Edit: I should have added, I also tried multiple dino and synthetics in the engine, LiquiMoly 10W-60 synthetic was the very best when it came to top end noise, my top end is near stone quiet running it. You can get LiquiMoly at any NAPA store or Amazon...

Thanks for the input.

I ended up wiping the rear fender, which turned into cleaning it, which turned into cleaning the entier bike, which turned into polishing, waxing, and detailing it. Afterwards, I went to get some gas and that turned into a little ride. Needless to say, I never got around to changing the oil. Maybe tomorrow. I'll probably go and change the trans fluid back later today though.

Old 12-06-2015, 05:19 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

The Bel-Ray dino lube is the best thing I've ever had in the trans, and I've tried a LOT of lubes in there.

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 12-06-2015, 09:24 PM
YouCanCallMeAl
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why don't you want to try Mobile One? V Twin 20/50 is at Walley world, Auto Zone, etc.?