Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohlins front fork cartridges

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 08:53 PM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Ohlins front fork cartridges

Anyone try these?

http://www.ohlins.com/2015/12/ohlins...r-shock-range/

Old 12-15-2015, 12:14 PM
Frédéric CM
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Are they out yet ?? need those to match my blackline rear shocks...

Old 12-15-2015, 07:26 PM
motorbikemike48
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DonN
i checked with Howard .. MotorCycleMetal .. today .. he has heard of them .. but .. is not sure if they are in the states as yet .. i chatted with him about what he has to offer .. and liked everything he said except the cost .. looks like my plans for a RaceTech set up are still where i am going to land .. MBM48

Old 12-16-2015, 06:04 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

This is pretty big news. I was planning on Ohlins cartridges from Howard over the winter, but this will make me hold off. I will still get them from Howard, but in my oddball mind, I'd rather have a kit designed for my ride then modding to make it fit.

Very interesting.

Edit: I just spoke to a tech guy at Ohlins USA who laughingly told me how they have no solid delivery dates yet - his words: "They joy of dealing with a European company" - however he then backed up a bit and said they are expecting them in by the late spring/summer. He was pretty stoked about them, saying that while the 30mm conversions are great, these are purpose built for the Dyna/Sporty frame and should be as good or better then the sport cartridge conversions, with the advantage of drop-in installation (and easy return to stock and take them with you - if you sell the bike, etc.) He also said while they will offer different spring rates, they may not offer as many as they do for the sport bike line (the 30mm's that are currently available).

So we'll see...

Last edited by Mchad; 12-16-2015 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:31 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

This is already available through Big Bear Choppers, not cheap:

http://store.bigbearchoppers.com/ohl...cartridge-kit/

Old 12-16-2015, 10:58 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 440 Likes on 246 Posts
Default Ohlins 22.5 mm cartridges

Originally Posted by Mchad
This is pretty big news. I was planning on Ohlins cartridges from Howard over the winter, but this will make me hold off. I will still get them from Howard, but in my oddball mind, I'd rather have a kit designed for my ride then modding to make it fit.

Very interesting.

Edit: I just spoke to a tech guy at Ohlins USA who laughingly told me how they have no solid delivery dates yet - his words: "They joy of dealing with a European company" - however he then backed up a bit and said they are expecting them in by the late spring/summer. He was pretty stoked about them, saying that while the 30mm conversions are great, these are purpose built for the Dyna/Sporty frame and should be as good or better then the sport cartridge conversions, with the advantage of drop-in installation (and easy return to stock and take them with you - if you sell the bike, etc.) He also said while they will offer different spring rates, they may not offer as many as they do for the sport bike line (the 30mm's that are currently available).

So we'll see...
Ohlins already made a 25mm that had the same fork cap compression/rebound, & spring pre-load. These new cartridges are 22 1/2mm and supposedly can go inside of the 35mm & 39mm. A 25mm double adjustable can not go into a 41mm fork so a specially designed 25mm with no adjustments was designed which will fit. In 2007 I brought up 41mm forks and figured out how to make them work with the 25mm adjustable. It required new fork caps, special springs (found in the 25mm FCK-101 & 102) as they were not made, thinner fork tubes that were longer, and a new top triple tree so it can be clamped. This was done long before any one else was putting anything bigger than a 20mm cartridge in them. The piston plain did not have the square inches to support a HD IMO. I still have this set up and anyone who has been around long enough and read what I did knows that this set up is just not a viable option in a 41mm fork much less than anything with a smaller ID fork tube.

I started working and developing the 30mm cartridges for 49mm Dyna's and it was immediately evident that a 49mm fork tube was far more ridged and suitable for a HD. I than started working on FLT 49mm conversion using cut down 49mm Dyna fork tubes, V-Rod lowers (has dust scrapers in place of Beer Cans) and triple trees that clamp both at the top & bottom and also designed to accommodate inverted forks that I have already been making. These trees are identical to the stock OEM 2013 trees so it is a direct bolt up. Again started in 2007 or so. No one to copy off of. I already made the 4" of trail forks that fit baggers and these are the standard 26ş neck, 3 1/2ş of triple tree rake (standard OEM).

I do not work for Ohlins and I do my own development as well as actually test my own product on a HD that I ride myself. A whole lot different than going to a job and selling a product someone else had designed, not riding a Harley, and never seen the product.

The larger the damper rod reduces the size of the square inches of the piston. An adjustable damper rod has to be hollow so the adjuster rod can control the needle valve and that rod is 12mm. A non-adjustable FKC-101 & 102 is 8 mm on a 25mm piston.

I was told that the Ohlins 22.5mm cartridge has not been manufactured much less tested. Their purpose is to fit inside of s 35~39mm fork tube. Ohlins already has a 25mm cartridge developed and sold if this was was going to be the point of a 2006~current Dyna which I have already had and done.

I already make longer mounting and if I thought that removing a check valve and dropping it in to a pair of $100/each forks was going to be a problem I would have already made longer mountings to make it a drop in. I prefer that you keep your new complete Ohlins converted forks than move them to your next bike and when it becomes time to move on. With a shorter mount I can provide 6 3/4" of stroke, with the longer mount you must retain a short stroke. If you actually ride a Harley than you would know the value of stroke.

I have never had the desire to make better suspension for 35 & 39mm fork tubes, I advise that a move up to a much more rigid fork tube for cheap money is better served. A 2006 FXDB complete set-up will fit onto any FXR, pre-2006 Dyna, or Sporter (I have never done that myself) but works well with my MidGlide inverted forks which I have done. You need square inches of area on a cartridge piston and a small piston will not do it no matter what anyone ever tells you up to a point of greatest efficiency.

There is no one selling the new 22.5mm cartridges just non-adjustable converted FKC-102's for a Dyna however, there is not many springs available for that 25mm kit.

Last edited by FastHarley; 12-16-2015 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Spelling: aria =AREA
The following 2 users liked this post by FastHarley:
JayStronghawk (04-29-2016), techbill (08-06-2017)
Old 12-16-2015, 11:09 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Pilot
This is already available through Big Bear Choppers, not cheap:

http://store.bigbearchoppers.com/ohl...cartridge-kit/

Thats not the new NIX22 kit - that the FKC102 kit that's been around a while.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:40 PM
motorbikemike48
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

thanks Howard .. MBM48

Old 04-28-2016, 08:12 PM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

Has anyone heard whether these are available for sale in the states yet? Will be visiting California in late May and wondering if I can pick up a set.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:00 AM
dlporter
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DonN
Has anyone heard whether these are available for sale in the states yet? Will be visiting California in late May and wondering if I can pick up a set.
I contacted Ohlins USA back in March about these cartridges and they said they would be available end of June or July this year.

Quick Reply: Ohlins front fork cartridges