Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'15 Streetbob Forward Controls Mod

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 04:24 PM
Hephaestus
Road Captain
Received 59 Likes on 59 Posts

That is definitely a option JohnMn! Your bike is looking good!

Old 01-01-2016, 05:02 PM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by Sticks24
Well after test driving one this summer, I would say that forward controls are a must on that bike.
I'm gonna have to disagree.

I've got highway pegs mounted in the forward control mounts and the amount of control you have over the bike when cornering with mid controls versus having your feet up in front of you is very noticeable. Much more control over the bike with mid controls and easier to switch directions. But I can see how for some very tall and log legged people forwards can be more comfortable.

Old 01-01-2016, 06:51 PM
Hephaestus
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s

I've got highway pegs mounted in the forward control mounts and the amount of control you have over the bike when cornering with mid controls versus having your feet up in front of you is very noticeable. Much more control over the bike with mid controls and easier to switch directions. But I can see how for some very tall and log legged people forwards can be more comfortable.
Yup Im 6'4" and my legs get a bit scrunched with the mids. With that said though, you are correct with mids giving a bit more bike control. Im thinking I may also install some medium sized foot boards in so I can still move my feet around a bit more on long rides

Old 01-01-2016, 09:30 PM
Leans93
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed this kit on my bike in the garage. I painted the primary covers while I was in there and had it all apart but was still only down for the weekend. Without waiting for paint to dry I'm sure it can be done in a day. IIRC you will need an uncommon sized socket for the job. Otherwise being mechanically inclined it should be no problem.

The mids were too uncomfortable for me at 6'3" so I love the forwards. I could only ride about half an hour on the mids, now I ride all day.

I can't compare it to the other kits as I haven't worked with them before but I have had zero issues or horror stories with this kit. It is high quality stuff so no worries there.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:56 PM
Hephaestus
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Leans93
I installed this kit on my bike in the garage. I painted the primary covers while I was in there and had it all apart but was still only down for the weekend. Without waiting for paint to dry I'm sure it can be done in a day. IIRC you will need an uncommon sized socket for the job. Otherwise being mechanically inclined it should be no problem.

The mids were too uncomfortable for me at 6'3" so I love the forwards. I could only ride about half an hour on the mids, now I ride all day.

I can't compare it to the other kits as I haven't worked with them before but I have had zero issues or horror stories with this kit. It is high quality stuff so no worries there.
Im tall as well so going to forwards is a no brainer for me. Its good to hear that you like the kit. I think Im going to go with it even though I will probably just cut the shaft so I dont have to go into the primary right now. I will at some point need the gaskets and sealing bolts the kit comes with so it wont be a waste of money regardless.

Old 01-02-2016, 04:23 PM
Sticks24
Road Warrior
Received 380 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s

I am only 6 feet, but the biggest problem I found is that every time you raise or lower your feet, to and from the ground, you hit the foot pegs.

Old 01-02-2016, 06:26 PM
jricharc
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

So I installed my forwards today, it took me all of about 2hrs most of that time was cutting the mid controls shifter shaft. I took it for a quick spin and it feels so much better on my back and inner thighs. Getting into neutral is a little trickier but just need to get used to it I suppose. I need to get a plug for the hole but everything is good to go.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:53 PM
Hephaestus
Road Captain

Thanks for the update jricharc. Its good the hear that it worked well and your bike is lookin good! As for finding neutral, yeah I can see how that is different now. By doing it this way we are changing the shift linkage geometry a bit. HD corrects it in the kit by providing a longer trans lever.

On page 9 of the link provided by Ricketts earlier in this thread, someone posted the instructions on how to also change out the trans lever without pulling the primary apart. here's the link again in case anyone wants to also change the trans lever.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...g-primary.html

Old 01-04-2016, 09:24 AM
Peej
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I just converted my Low Rider from mids to HD forwards. I had my mechanic do it for well under 2 bills. I have had them on for almost a month and it is such a better set-up for me. I'm 5-10 and after setting my handlebars back, I found the mids just too confining. I just completed 350 miles in 3 days and I could tell a big difference. I am looking to trade the pegs out for either a Joker or a DK bike pedal type foot peg. Finding neutral is no different either and the cover blends nicely into the primary. I considered leaving the mids and doing the front pegs only, but I didn't like the business of that configuration. I definitely am glad I did the conversion!

Old 01-04-2016, 02:26 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

I couldn't ride my SB for 1 hour with the mids on. Now I can go hours and go on trips. I switched to forwards as soon as the parts came in (about a week).
Just to add I did the factory kit with cutting the shaft and throwing it away. And yes the only hard part is cutting that stupid shaft. Everything else was pretty simple.

Quick Reply: '15 Streetbob Forward Controls Mod