Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'15 Streetbob Forward Controls Mod

Old 01-08-2016, 09:13 PM
Hephaestus
Road Captain
Received 59 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by blueangel73
OP, I ran the forwards on my 10' Street Bob for a number of years and then went to the footboard setup. I liked the forwards, just wanted the boards more. I am sure you'll love the forwards.

Something that might be possible after looking at this pic. I know a good amount of people will tell you that you can use a hack saw on the lever running thru the case at the back side between the case and motor to cut the lever apart and avoid having to pull the inner primary cover. I wonder if it is possible to just get to the point where you have access to the lever (like in the pic) and just use a cut off wheel and cut the lever rod off and pull the rest out the back side of the case. If so, that would avoid much required work to pull the inner cover. Just a thought.
Unfortunately cutting the shaft inside the primary will leave the remaining shaft to long to push out the back. The space between the inner primary case and the motor case is very limited. Another thing to consider are the metal cuttings that would be left inside the primary if you cut it there. Even though you would clean it up inside there, it only takes one little shaving to get into a seal and wipe it out, or worse, cause a bearing to fail. Cutting the shaft behind the primary may end up being a bit tedious but Im thinking taking your time and drinking a couple cold ones doesn't sound to bad

Old 01-08-2016, 09:23 PM
cerelious
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts

Out of curiosity, what will you be doing with your mid controls? I wanna do the opposite of you

Old 01-08-2016, 09:53 PM
Hephaestus
Road Captain

Originally Posted by cerelious
Out of curiosity, what will you be doing with your mid controls? I wanna do the opposite of you
Im going to hang onto my mids for now but there should be plenty of them out there for ya because alot of guys move to forwards. Anyone have mids available for cerelious?

Old 01-08-2016, 09:55 PM
cerelious
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Hephaestus
Im going to hang onto my mids for now but there should be plenty of them out there for ya because alot of guys move to forwards. Anyone have mids available for cerelious?
As you said, lots out there, just nice to know where they came from instead of a random eBay post etc....thanks for the reply though, glad you are liking the change!

Old 01-09-2016, 06:54 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Hephaestus
Unfortunately cutting the shaft inside the primary will leave the remaining shaft to long to push out the back. The space between the inner primary case and the motor case is very limited. Another thing to consider are the metal cuttings that would be left inside the primary if you cut it there. Even though you would clean it up inside there, it only takes one little shaving to get into a seal and wipe it out, or worse, cause a bearing to fail. Cutting the shaft behind the primary may end up being a bit tedious but Im thinking taking your time and drinking a couple cold ones doesn't sound to bad
Yea, I can see the point your making about the possible damage, if I were to do this I would cover everything around the shaft kinda like when painting and avoiding over spray, after all a little tape and paper is cheap. But, seeing that I wasn't sure about the room to pull the shaft once cut and why I said it might be an option, this wouldn't be an issue to begin with. Working on aircraft and dealing with FOD (Foreign Object Damage) I have grown accustom to putting up barriers to prevent the issues.

Anyways, hope you enjoy the change when you make it.

Old 01-09-2016, 07:15 AM
jricharc
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cerelious
I would gladly sell you mine along with my highway pegs but you would need to buy the new shifter shaft since I cut mine off. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Last edited by jricharc; 01-09-2016 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:30 PM
Hephaestus
Road Captain

Originally Posted by blueangel73
Yea, I can see the point your making about the possible damage, if I were to do this I would cover everything around the shaft kinda like when painting and avoiding over spray, after all a little tape and paper is cheap. But, seeing that I wasn't sure about the room to pull the shaft once cut and why I said it might be an option, this wouldn't be an issue to begin with. Working on aircraft and dealing with FOD (Foreign Object Damage) I have grown accustom to putting up barriers to prevent the issues.

Anyways, hope you enjoy the change when you make it.
Speaking of making changes, your bike is looking great!

Old 09-28-2016, 05:31 AM
pjcarmou
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered the HD Rider Floorboard Kit (Part Number 50500247) for my 2008 Dyna Low Rider. Its basically a further forward kit with floorboards. I have not received my parts yet and I was trying to figure out how to do the install. I do not want to open the primary. I was thinking...can I attach the new shift linkage to the old shifter bar? How can I attach it? if I have to cut it, what am I hooking the new linkage to? I have searched all over and cannot find any pictures or explanation.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:12 PM
Hephaestus
Road Captain

Originally Posted by pjcarmou
I just ordered the HD Rider Floorboard Kit (Part Number 50500247) for my 2008 Dyna Low Rider. Its basically a further forward kit with floorboards. I have not received my parts yet and I was trying to figure out how to do the install. I do not want to open the primary. I was thinking...can I attach the new shift linkage to the old shifter bar? How can I attach it? if I have to cut it, what am I hooking the new linkage to? I have searched all over and cannot find any pictures or explanation.
I cut my shifter bar using a small reciprocating saw. It took about 90 seconds to get the bar cut and removed. All without needing to go into the primary at all. The new supplied lever in your forward kit will attach to the trans lever same as the mid control lever is now.

Here is a great thread with a link to video on how to do it. You dont have to go into your primary at all if you dont want to. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...g-primary.html

Last edited by Hephaestus; 09-28-2016 at 10:11 PM.