Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Valve issues...

Old 01-15-2016, 05:08 PM
Nicholas Mortensen
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Valve issues...

Ok, so this is the first harley I've had with a check valve. I've worked exclusively with carburetors before this, so a lot of this is new territory for me. About a month ago I pulled my tank off while putting on new bars. When all the wiring and everything was done, I was so excited to fire the bike up and make sure everything was working that I turned the bike over for a solid 3 or 4 seconds before I realized I hadn't plugged the fuel line back in. When I went to plug the fuel line back into the check valve, it was leaking pretty bad. Everything I read said it was just a lower o-ring. I got a new one, replaced it, and it is still leaking all over the place.

So now there are a couple things I'm wondering. First, now that I'm looking into it more, I never "de-pressurized" the fuel line the first time I pulled the fuel line. Is that what caused the issue? Did me being stupid and forgetting to plug the fuel line in before trying to start the bike mess anything up?

And I guess the point of all this is, any ideas what I can do to get the leak to stop? Or do I just need to buy a whole new check valve? Do I need to replace the male end as well? Thanks in advance for your help guys!!

Old 01-16-2016, 11:59 AM
romad01
6th Gear

you are talking about the quick disconnect under the tank? If so is the o-ring you replaced on the inside of the part attached to the tank? If not this is probably the issue, I had to replace mine the other day after painting the bike.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:11 AM
Nicholas Mortensen
6th Gear

Originally Posted by romad01
you are talking about the quick disconnect under the tank? If so is the o-ring you replaced on the inside of the part attached to the tank? If not this is probably the issue, I had to replace mine the other day after painting the bike.
Yes, that's the o-ring I was talking about. Swapped it out and the ring I pulled out looks to be in perfect shape and putting a new one in did not fix the problem.

Old 01-17-2016, 05:37 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicholas Mortensen

So now there are a couple things I'm wondering. First, now that I'm looking into it more, I never "de-pressurized" the fuel line the first time I pulled the fuel line. Is that what caused the issue? Did me being stupid and forgetting to plug the fuel line in before trying to start the bike mess anything up?
Not de-pressurizing first would not likely cause any damage as when you press up on the valve the pressure just makes it come out straight.

On it's own turning the key with the valve unplugged will not damage anything, however trying to plug it back without de-pressurizing may force you to push it in unevenly and that could have done something bad. If the O-ring didn't fix it and your sure it's all the way plugged in you may need to get a new male piece. Start there, the hose and piece come together already assembled. If that's not it then you may have to consider the check valve as well.

Don't demean yourself it's not stupidity it's called a learning curve!

good luck

Old 01-17-2016, 05:42 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,525 Likes on 3,778 Posts

There is two o-rings up in there. If you are careful, you can do it without the special tool they make. There is one up high , then the check and then the one you replaced. Always either run it by pulling fuel pump fuse till it stops or let it set overnight before working on it. You probably blew the top ring out of the groove and when you pushed the fitting back in, it went too high. May even have the check ill-positioned. Go to you tube and do a search and someone will demonstrate the tool. Be sure to only use the o-ring kit from Harley since most hardware rings are buna-n not very good with gas.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 01-17-2016 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:01 PM
Nicholas Mortensen
6th Gear

Thanks guys. That was exactly what I was looking for. I'll pull the check valve apart and see what I can find.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:07 AM
joebedford
Cruiser
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Hey Nicholas - did you get your problems sorted?

My check valve is leaking too. I'm wondering whether to buy a new check valve or try to rebuild it. The tool in the video above looks great but apparently it's not yet available.

What did you do?

Old 02-08-2016, 12:37 PM
Nicholas Mortensen
6th Gear
Default replace the lower o-ring first

Originally Posted by joebedford
Hey Nicholas - did you get your problems sorted?

My check valve is leaking too. I'm wondering whether to buy a new check valve or try to rebuild it. The tool in the video above looks great but apparently it's not yet available.

What did you do?
I would try to replace the lower o-ring first. Most of the time that is the culprit and you don't need the tool for that. I just used a small screwdriver and it took me 5 minutes. Pull the ring out and you will be able to tell if you need a new one.

If the o-ring looks fine, you may want to just but a new check valve. I called the harley shop and it was 30 bucks.

The rebuild tool is 100: http://www.jpcycles.com/product/722-660

I haven't gotten to the the check valve yet. We just bought a house and all my time and money is tied up in that right now. And I live in snow country, so I have no incentive to get to it quickly since I won't be riding for another few months. If you end up buying the new check valve, let me know how easy of a fix that is. If I can get to the upper o-ring without the tool, I will post it here. Good luck!

Old 02-08-2016, 10:03 PM
joebedford
Cruiser
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I misunderstood in my earlier post - the tool is "available" except that it's sold out everywhere.

With the fuel line connected, the connection leaks. With the fuel line off, there is no leakage out of the check valve. I therefore think it's just the bottom O-ring.

I was wondering if I could pick out the bottom O-ring and just replace it. I don't think it will be hard to get it out. I'll have to find the right size round thing to push a new one up in there.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:14 PM
Nicholas Mortensen
6th Gear

Originally Posted by joebedford
I was wondering if I could pick out the bottom O-ring and just replace it. I don't think it will be hard to get it out. I'll have to find the right size round thing to push a new one up in there.
You'll be able to do it no problem. Just put a little oil on the ring and use a toothpick or something to push it up and in. Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Check Valve issues...