Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The FXRT / FXRP "Style" Dyna Fairing Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 02:14 AM
fxdls2016
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,
Just about to install a FXRT fairing from RWD on a 2016 FXDLS. Just wanted to see if anyone could help me. Just wanted to know what height mx bars you have to run to keep the indicators mounted in the stock position (under the handlebar controls) Any info would be appreciated.

Old 11-20-2016, 01:09 PM
Whtwolf14
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

At first I didn't dig this look...but know it's starting to rub off on me.

Old 11-27-2016, 07:16 PM
erkblack
Cruiser

To any one runnin the small recurve windshields can u post links to where u got them from. I'm trying to find as low as possible. The lowest I can find is 8 inch

Last edited by erkblack; 11-27-2016 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:29 AM
abez
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by erkblack
To any one runnin the small recurve windshields can u post links to where u got them from. I'm trying to find as low as possible. The lowest I can find is 8 inch
http://www.clearviewshields.com/moto...davidson/fxrp/

http://www.getklocked.com/shop/flare...style-fairings

haven't seen shorter than 8". I have a piece of tinted plexiglass or plastic that was sent as a windscreen for my fairing.
I was planning on chopping it shorter and using it as a shorty screen. but there isn't any recurve.
like this...http://www.defabstore.com/

Last edited by abez; 12-01-2016 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:01 AM
SuperGlideBodhi
Intermediate

Sat on a new FXDLS at the stealership with an RWD fairing and I loved it. Few questions.
How high for the bars? I'm running biltwell high trackers with zero rise. will I need new risers to clear?
Has anyone vinyl wrapped one of these? And if not how much are you guys paying for paint?

Old 12-05-2016, 02:51 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperGlideBodhi
Sat on a new FXDLS at the stealership with an RWD fairing and I loved it. Few questions.
How high for the bars? I'm running biltwell high trackers with zero rise. will I need new risers to clear?
Has anyone vinyl wrapped one of these? And if not how much are you guys paying for paint?
I was told by Joe at Deviant Fabrications that a 9" rise is needed to clear. So yes, you will need new riser or bars to clear. The cost of painting it will very from state to state, and painter to painter. The complexity of the scheme will significantly effect the cost as well.

Old 12-09-2016, 03:19 PM
Jbco2
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Steinimal

I have a BMC fairing on my 04 FXDL. Mike from BMC is the best and I've been super happy with the fairing. I'm having trouble though with trying to fit a Truck Lite headlight under my cover. It fits great in the bucket which I'm told is from an FLH. I know it's not the same fairing but the BBC fairing uses the same headlight without issue. I contacted clearview to see if they could mould me a cover with extra clearance but haven't heard back yet. Any help would be great. <br/>
Custom headlight bucket like the one in the picture is easy to mount and sits the light deep in the light well away from the lens.

Attached Thumbnails The FXRT / FXRP &quot;Style&quot; Dyna Fairing Thread-img_7645.jpg   The FXRT / FXRP &quot;Style&quot; Dyna Fairing Thread-img_7647.jpg  
Old 12-09-2016, 03:21 PM
Jbco2
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bowmanvillejim
Im in the process of mounting the Deviant Factory line fairing on my 06 FXD. Im not a rush since winter is setting in but I am looking forward to the riding season in the spring !!!
Bike looks GREAT!, can't wait to see it done...

Old 12-09-2016, 03:30 PM
Jbco2
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Ezp19
so did deviant fix their mounting hardware/bracket or not i'm still unclear?
I like the glove boxes on the Fxrd, but Bmc is a close 2nd for me so its a toss up until I can save enough.
This is the Deviant Fabrications bracket, asides from the versatility and unlimited adjustability, it won't rub the paint off your frame neck. Easy on and off, I hear the folks at Deviant are getting nominated for a Nobel prize for the design of this bracket...lol

Attached Thumbnails The FXRT / FXRP &quot;Style&quot; Dyna Fairing Thread-img_9331.jpg   The FXRT / FXRP &quot;Style&quot; Dyna Fairing Thread-img_9333.jpg  
Old 12-19-2016, 11:30 AM
Hundskrüppel
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hello hd forum folks,

new here and this thread was what made me register on this board !

Since i bought my first bike with a fairing back in the eighties - a 1984 FLH Shovelhead - i never again had another one with a fairing.
I rode that E-Glide for one year with the batwing, then stripped it from bags and fairing.
It was a nice experience, but finally, as almost every young rider at that time, i rated dresser-bikes as old geezer stuff and just liked to enjoy the wind more than i needed weather protection.

Now since i got an 88 FXR which i plan to use as a daily beater and ride more often, a fairing becomes attractive again - also i grew onto the FXRT fairing (with some modifications), which i must admit have disliked a lot when it was actual design back then.

I was watching the market for two years now and found only two at my location, but both had the late design inner fairing, what killed it for me.

I like the early inner fairing with it`s more floating, rounded design better, though it still could be improved - especially where it just looks as someone cut it straight off, below the rearward bracket mounting points towards the rider, looking like one part is missing.
With a short windshield and signal glass treatment, i would use one and be happy with it, just none crossed my way.

From all the aftermarket fairings i have seen so far, one is very close to the FXR fairing of my dreams.
The section below the rear mounting points that i described above (where the stock fairing has a bracket attached with two bolts on each side), is well treated here, as it has been designed to flow seamless all around.
I just love that inner fairing. Wouldn`t need the speaker openings, but they could be closed or used as a glove box.
The scallop is nice too and the redesigned windshield imo is a good update for that old fairing design.

One other sweet detail is it`s rear / lower section, where the inner fairing "folds" inwards, it`s all floating and another detail where the OEM fairing lacks completion or maybe just looks outdated, when compared.

Does anyone here use that fairing from Tol Design / Dreher Customs ?

What i don`t see on the pictures are the bolts for the brackets that i described above, the rear ones that the original FXR fairing has, also the picture of their kit shows only one bracket, the center one in front.
If i recall it right - on the FXR`s, when using the fairing without those additonal brackets it led to stress cracks or worse.
All the weight (usually 65lbs +) on the center bracket alone seems not a good idea without supporting brackets.

Name:  TOL%20Design%20Dreher%20Customs%20FXR%20Fairing%202_zpsgpjkyxzx.jpg
Views: 7919
Size:  234.2 KB Name:  TOL%20Design%20Dreher%20Customs%20FXR%20Fairing%201_zpssyzyfq9t.jpg
Views: 10140
Size:  238.2 KB

Last edited by Hundskrüppel; 12-19-2016 at 06:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
oldbie (12-19-2016)

Quick Reply: The FXRT / FXRP "Style" Dyna Fairing Thread