Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oh yeah, head work time

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 08:58 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by mattVA
So am I understanding you bought a second set of heads to have the work performed on? You'll want a nice scraper tool for the cylinder head gasket surface. Amazon sells plastic razor blades that should work well. Have to get that surface squeaky clean but don't want to scratch anything.
Yeah, now that I can ride year round I really didn't want a ton of down time. Luckily Kirby had a set of matching heads that he could port and now I'll just send him mine as a core exchange once the job is complete. In the end I probably could have simply sent mine to him since I was away for much of the past 6 weeks with the new job.

Originally Posted by Suede Blue Man

Take your time, patience, do it right, and both of you hurry the hell up
Lol, you're just bored and jealous �� So what are your plans now?
Originally Posted by mattVA
2ft of snow headed my way I think my time will be spent shoveling this weekend. Go work on your bike
Probably so, enjoy snowmageddon, my old stomping grounds needs the white stuff, even though it's been cold enough to make snow, people just need the mental jolt to get them skiing. Nothing like a snowstorm to do that!

Old 01-22-2016, 09:17 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

That's nice that Kirby offers that service. Makes things easier on you don't even have to figure out how to package them just reuse his box.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:42 AM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Sweet! Another build to observe.

Robbie (and everyone else), forgive my ignorance on the engine build stuff, but I have yet to do anything to my bike engine wise, except A/C, Pipe & tuner. Obviously I've been on this forum for a bit but am wondering...is this package is a good "complete" package for me to use as a first step? I'm guessing I would need clutch work too to handle the extra HP. I've been wanting to jump into some engine mods, but with another bike (V-Rod / Nightrod special) due to be delivered this weekend, I'm gonna be putting some time into it. Thanks and I'll be watching this thread.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:57 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Yeah both Kirby and Scott from Hillside offer exchanges when possible. Fuel Moto also has a pretty vibrant exchange program as well. I'm sure they are faced with people like me who are urgency junkies All the time!

Old 01-22-2016, 10:05 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by EricInNCa
Sweet! Another build to observe.

Robbie (and everyone else), forgive my ignorance on the engine build stuff, but I have yet to do anything to my bike engine wise, except A/C, Pipe & tuner. Obviously I've been on this forum for a bit but am wondering...is this package is a good "complete" package for me to use as a first step? I'm guessing I would need clutch work too to handle the extra HP. I've been wanting to jump into some engine mods, but with another bike (V-Rod / Nightrod special) due to be delivered this weekend, I'm gonna be putting some time into it. Thanks and I'll be watching this thread.
Hi Eric ,

I'm probably not the right guy to use as an example since I went into my cam chest a year ago with bolt in cams. Now here I am doing it again with heads albeit I could have kept the Andrews 57's and just done the heads. I'm sure most people would tell you to simply do the heads and cams at the same time. I went back-and-forth about also doing a 107 which I felt would be the maximum without going into the crankcase and spending even bigger dollars. In the end though, enough people commented that it simply wasn't worth going from a 103 to a 107.

I should mention that there are some amazing deals on 107 kits right now. These include full gasket sets, bearings, cams the whole meal deal. And in your case I imagine your engine is a 96 and perhaps going to a 107 would be freaking amazing and fun for those of us who like these threads to watch! The only clutch modifications I've made is the heavy duty SE Spring, $35

Last edited by robbyville; 01-22-2016 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:21 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,233 Likes on 1,254 Posts

Wow, so many questions.

1st off, congrats on having the stones to do this....

Some questions if you don't mind....

1. Is there anything special about doing the head replacement? Is it straight up take bolts out, remove heads, put in new gasket, bolt new heads in....or is there more to it than that?
2. To raise compression, are the heads milled down at all or are you using the thinner 0.30 gasket to raise compression?
3. Are you using the FP3 to tune? Being that I also have an FP3, I'm very interested in how your tuning?
4. Could you have used the stock throttle bodies and get good results?
5. Any other tidbits on the actual install?

Mucho appreciated!!!

If you're dumping the Andrews 57h cams, let me know as you may have a customer.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:46 AM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

Robbyville, I have a couple questions too!
Are you planning to get the Target Tune with your powervision?
Does the Supertrapp have bungs for the 18mm sensors?
Thanks,
Q

Old 01-22-2016, 11:03 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by rauchman
Wow, so many questions.

1st off, congrats on having the stones to do this....

Thanks! I'm like so many here, just wanting to get my hands dirty and enjoy a good project. Service manual and the Internet are Manna from the gods!

Some questions if you don't mind....

1. Is there anything special about doing the head replacement? Is it straight up take bolts out, remove heads, put in new gasket, bolt new heads in....or is there more to it than that?

All the video's I've watched, reading the manual and various threads point to "yes", in the great scheme of things a relatively simple process with many steps both before and after. I already have adjustable pushrods, new lifters, and cam bearings. I'll have to readjust the rods due to new equipment but won't have to replace the bearings which is nice.

2. To raise compression, are the heads milled down at all or are you using the thinner 0.30 gasket to raise compression?

Kirby supplied that .030 gasket to get compression on the new heads to 10.5-1, that was his recommendation for my riding style and such

3. Are you using the FP3 to tune? Being that I also have an FP3, I'm very interested in how your tuning?

That's the biggie right there. Almost everyone who knows me on this forum also knows that I'm a big champion of the FP3. V&H has stepped to the table every time I've done anything, worked through my challenges, etc (i.e before they had adapted their firmware for new cams they set a custom map for me and spent hours trouble shooting problems (created by me not them). I also had the bike professionally tuned with the FP3, tough to find someone willing but soon there will be more of them. I'm still a firm believer in the product and I know that they'll soon have even more updates that will have me batting my head against the wall for the decision I just made... But to make a short story long I bought a PV2. Simply due to the new heads, TB, etc. and my desire to get a complete dyno tune once done. I know if I had reached out to Chris at V&H he would have helped me out but I just decided to go this route as part of my changes.

4. Could you have used the stock throttle bodies and get good results?

Yep, my understanding is that the TB will have a minor effect and that the stock would have been ok, but once again in for a penny in for a pound. Both Jamie at FM and Kirby recommended it. You could get the stock one ported but I found a really good deal on the SE one ($319 shipped), and Jamie mentioned that it was a really good option
5. Any other tidbits on the actual install?

Not that I know of yet...

Mucho appreciated!!!

If you're dumping the Andrews 57h cams, let me know as you may have a customer.
Sure thing, I'll let you know once done. I imagine they're in great shape, probably about 2000 miles on them, I'll let them go cheap to a person I know will use them appropriately

Originally Posted by Qdog002
Robbyville, I have a couple questions too!
Are you planning to get the Target Tune with your powervision?
Does the Supertrapp have bungs for the 18mm sensors?
Thanks,
Q
Hey Q!
Nope my budget has been spent (and then some). I plan to only use the PV2 and invest in a professional tune once I have a base map loaded. My Supertrapp uses the stock bungs for my year which I thought were 12mm. I can't remember from my install if they were replaceable or secondary locations or not.

Last edited by robbyville; 01-22-2016 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:41 AM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

Yeah Robby thanks,
The Supertrapp comes with 12mm bungs for Dyna`s yrs. 12 and up. 2011 has 18mm. and fits. I called Eastern Performance. When I go 2-1 it will be the Supertrapp. I just don`t know if I want to go with the target tune.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:48 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,233 Likes on 1,254 Posts

[QUOTE=robbyville;14766278]Sure thing, I'll let you know once done. I imagine they're in great shape, probably about 2000 miles on them, I'll let them go cheap to a person I know will use them appropriately
QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. And yes, they will be used appropriately!!!!

Very curious to see what power gains are realized by the heads as I've been giving this serious thought myself.

Again thanks and all the best in your efforts!

Quick Reply: Oh yeah, head work time