Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 Part ? on Docking Hardware

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 02:47 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Default 2 Part ? on Docking Hardware

Hey all,

Working on a 2011 Street Bob

1. Someone is giving me the docking hardware like in this kit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2315320...chn=ps&lpid=82

It says it doesn't fit my bike, but I'm wondering if I could make it work? Possibly substitute some barrel nuts?
This is the kit that HD calls for:
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...and-sideplates
The thing I notice is it is missing the "strap". Other than that not much that I can see is different. If different bolts are needed that would be no biggie.

2. Does anyone make brackets for saddlebags that work with the HD docking hardware? The only reason I was going to install the docking points was to convert my throw overs to quick disconnect.

And as always thanks in advance!

Old 01-26-2016, 04:06 PM
DeaD SpacE
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The new straps on the HD kit are threaded on the back bolt holes.The ebay kit appears to use your stock straps and through bolts.hope that makes sense.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:44 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by DeaD SpacE
The new straps on the HD kit are threaded on the back bolt holes.The ebay kit appears to use your stock straps and through bolts.hope that makes sense.
That's what I was seeing as well. Do you think it would work with barrel nuts where the turn signals go?

Old 01-27-2016, 01:23 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

I did this when I first added bags to the bike and made them detachable. I basically took some 1/8" flat stock bar and shaped it much like the bottom of a detachable sissy bar mount (boxed area in pic below) and purchased the locking QD clamps (linked below). Drilled to holes in the flat stock to put bolts thru, used 1/2" spacers for put a little gap between the bags and the bar and bolted the bags to the bar.

As for the two kits above, the first one looks like its for relocating the light wires thru the bolts and the second is just a basic QD setup.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...12-90300048--1

Old 01-27-2016, 02:32 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by blueangel73
I did this when I first added bags to the bike and made them detachable. I basically took some 1/8" flat stock bar and shaped it much like the bottom of a detachable sissy bar mount (boxed area in pic below) and purchased the locking QD clamps (linked below). Drilled to holes in the flat stock to put bolts thru, used 1/2" spacers for put a little gap between the bags and the bar and bolted the bags to the bar.

As for the two kits above, the first one looks like its for relocating the light wires thru the bolts and the second is just a basic QD setup.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...12-90300048--1

Thanks for the input!
That's exactly what I was thinking to make my own brackets. Then I could just transfer them to a different set of bags down the road.

I may just not take the kit from my friend and order the kit through HD. If I have to do too much to try and get it to work I might as well purchase the HD kit.
The bad thing is the kit through HD doesn't come with the hollow bolts to replace the turn signal stalks. Lowes said they do have hollow bolts though so do you think I can rig some of those up? I hate to pay $50 for 2 hollow bolts and some butt connectors.....

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...-11-5396806--1

Old 01-27-2016, 03:06 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
Thanks for the input!
That's exactly what I was thinking to make my own brackets. Then I could just transfer them to a different set of bags down the road.

I may just not take the kit from my friend and order the kit through HD. If I have to do too much to try and get it to work I might as well purchase the HD kit.
The bad thing is the kit through HD doesn't come with the hollow bolts to replace the turn signal stalks. Lowes said they do have hollow bolts though so do you think I can rig some of those up? I hate to pay $50 for 2 hollow bolts and some butt connectors.....

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...-11-5396806--1
First you need to figure what you plan on doing with your lights and where the you plan to locate the bags in relation to the lights. If lowes has the bolts, take three wires with you of the same size as the ones in the lights and pass them thru the bolts to verify fit, will be very tight if there like the ones in the kit above. Your way will bring the lights and bags in closer to the bike.

Old 01-27-2016, 03:51 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by blueangel73
First you need to figure what you plan on doing with your lights and where the you plan to locate the bags in relation to the lights. If lowes has the bolts, take three wires with you of the same size as the ones in the lights and pass them thru the bolts to verify fit, will be very tight if there like the ones in the kit above. Your way will bring the lights and bags in closer to the bike.
I'm thinking I'll run the stock turn signals until later down the road then go with Alloy Art strut lights. I would need the hollow bolts for the time being I believe. I don't have my heart set on the Alloy's, but just don't really like the sigs being somewhere other than the regular area. That's why I would be looking at the hollow bolts. I wasn't really paying attention but you are right about the wires being tight.
Do you think it would be a problem for the lights and bags to sit tighter? My bags that I have currently fit between shocks and lights by the way. Don't know if that matters or not.

I wouldn't mind getting some larger bags later on down the road is what I'm thinking with the Alloy Arts. Since the bags I have now (which were very cheap) fit between I wouldn't need to spend more money on the Alloys. I wouldn't be opposed to some other low profile lights though like I said.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 01-28-2016 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:08 PM
DeaD SpacE
Tourer

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
That's what I was seeing as well. Do you think it would work with barrel nuts where the turn signals go?
I think your bolt would be to small using barrel nuts, unless you drill the holes
in your straps out to a larger size.I through bolted mine and used half nuts on the inside and cut the excess bolt threads off for tire clearance.

https://www.boltdepot.com/Hex_jam_ny...teel_18-8.aspx

Old 01-27-2016, 04:17 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by DeaD SpacE
I think your bolt would be to small using barrel nuts, unless you drill the holes
in your straps out to a larger size.I through bolted mine and used half nuts on the inside and cut the excess bolt threads off for tire clearance.

https://www.boltdepot.com/Hex_jam_ny...teel_18-8.aspx
That should work I would think. The turn signals are bolted through the inside of the fender as it is now. So the head of the bolt is there.

How did you do your turn signals if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited by BigDogIdaho; 01-27-2016 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:38 PM
DeaD SpacE
Tourer

Mine are bolted through the fender.Best pic I have.

Attached Thumbnails 2 Part ? on Docking Hardware-img_20150402_172714733_hdr-crop.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2 Part ? on Docking Hardware