Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

progressive 444's 12" installed

Old 02-05-2016, 11:26 AM
bigbadpoppa
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 115 Posts

riding 2up will always be a compromise at the 444 price point.

A 0.5 inch isn't going to be a deal breaker for flat footing (it'll be more or less the same since the progressives will have a longer stroke than the HD stock shocks).

For the price of the 444, check out Hagon's. More custom to fit the need of your weight and riding style since they make them from scratch to your specifications.

Old 02-06-2016, 02:13 PM
Derik
Tourer
Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

I have had the 12" 444's on my Dyna switchback for about 8months about 9k miles. Very satisfied with them. I usually run a 2.5 setting by myself and a 4 when 2up and a 5 when fully loaded on a trip. I didn't get the HD because they are stiff as hell, had them on my last bike. I weigh about 260.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:49 AM
shekmark
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Who would have thought shocks could be so darn complicated!

Old 02-08-2016, 01:31 PM
NuckaMan
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I run 444 in 12.5".

Almost ANYTHING will probably be better than the stock suspenders. Once you get something that is semi-decent (or better), you quickly realize just how bad the stock shocks are.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:58 PM
c.hayden
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice! Im just debating ordering a set myself!

Old 02-09-2016, 01:18 PM
71on72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,193 Likes on 8,494 Posts

Progressive fork springs will also make a big improvement. Progressive's front and rear are the first thing I did to my Wide Glide. Also did it to my Sportster. Stock HD suspension is junk. You don't realize it until you make the change.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:51 PM
barcoeng
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've put about 1K miles on the new shocks, and am very pleased! I feel a huge difference in the corners, and when taking off, just makes the bike feel more solid. I've been riding around trying to hit some bumps, and as they are stiffer than stock, I rather like the feel. I've also installed RaceTech springs with the gold emulators, and have put about 300 miles with the complete new suspension. I don't think the RT up front is as noticeable a difference as installing the 444's in the rear, but the bike as a whole does feel a lot more responsive, and capable.
Someday when I have more $$$, I'd like to upgrade from the 444's, but don't see that happening anytime soon, since I don't really see any reason to get rid of them for the moment.

Old 02-19-2016, 08:05 AM
shekmark
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Were the Racetechs and Emulaters hard to install? Only a novice mechanic here.

Old 02-19-2016, 08:39 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,204 Likes on 1,248 Posts

Originally Posted by shekmark

I've done this mod as well. If you don't have it, get the shop manual for your bike.

I have a Switchback and the forks are FL type. In other words, instead of the Dyna's 49mm damper rod forks, the Switch has 41mm forks where one side has a damper rod and the other has a primitive cartridge.

For every other Dyna using 49mm forks....

The hardest parts are drilling the damper rods for additional oil flow, getting the spacer size correct and getting the lock nut over new spring when installing. Everything else is basically...
* Take fork off bike (before loosening triple tree bolts, crack the fork cap to loosen it up, but don't fully remove until the entire fork is off the bike)
* Take out the guts (remove fork cap and the screw on the bottom of the fork)
* Drill hole in damper rod (highly recommend a drill press vs hand drill)
* Measure and cut spacer (follow the instructions supplied by Racetech)
* Install Emulators, spacer and spring (follow Racetech and HD shop manual instructions, try to finagle some mechanism that will allow you to compress the spring when reassembling)
* Correctly measure fork oil (follow HD shop manual)
* Reinstall fork (follow HD shop manual)

Old 02-21-2016, 07:46 AM
barcoeng
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shekmark

Pretty much exactly like Rauchman says. I have a pretty decent shop set up, so it was super easy. I thought the hardest part was cleaning all the burrs on the inside of the damping rod after drilling. That, and actually committing to the length of the spacer to be cut, and deciding on the setting of the emulators. Really, no problem at all, just take your time. If you do get stuck, RT's tech help is pretty good. I called them to confirm where to set my emulators.

I went on a 400 mile ride yesterday, and am pretty pleased that I finally upgraded!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: progressive 444's 12" installed