Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDF handlebar question

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 12:48 PM
NMfxdf
Tourer
Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts
Default FXDF handlebar question

I searched the forum as best I could, I know it has been talked about, but I still needed some advice. I have a 2015 FXDF, I like the looks of the stock drag bars, however I would like them just a little higher, just under shoulder height I am thinking. I was looking at a few T bars with a 10" rise 10" seems to be right where I would want them. The west coast bars I was looking at are 31" wide with 8" risers and 2" rise in the bars for a total of 10", How do I figure out clutch and throttle cable lengths, +4 or +6 would be my guess. Do I replace both upper and lower brake cables or just upper? From the other topics on this forum it sounds like there may be enough electric cable tucked under the tank.
Any help would be appreciated.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:31 PM
UKNixter
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

+4 should be plenty. Stock cables from a Street Bob would probably be the right length.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:53 PM
NMfxdf
Tourer

I appreciate the answer, thank you!

Old 02-03-2016, 06:39 AM
c-note
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The best way I found to figure this out was to compare street Bob stock lengths vs FXDF, knowing that a stock FXDB cable setup will handle 12" t's. Measurements can all be found on Barrett's site. So if you wanted 10" t's go to street Bob stock length -2.

http://www.barnettclutches.com/1541/...dson-fxdb.html

Old 02-03-2016, 09:45 PM
KingBowser
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got plus +6 for my 14 fatbob, (magnum cables braided black) and I have 10" wild one t-bars and there is plenty of slack, maybe too much, however I don't mind this as i may go up to 12" one day.

Also, i my case the stock wiring harness was long enough stock, I didn't need to extend it at all.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:48 PM
NMfxdf
Tourer

Originally Posted by KingBowser
I got plus +6 for my 14 fatbob, (magnum cables braided black) and I have 10" wild one t-bars and there is plenty of slack, maybe too much, however I don't mind this as i may go up to 12" one day.

Also, i my case the stock wiring harness was long enough stock, I didn't need to extend it at all.
Did you do +6 on brake lines as well

Old 02-04-2016, 04:01 AM
Repoguy
Cruiser

im in the same boat as you, I'm picking up my fxdf on Friday, I'm thinking +6 and that would be more than enough. I don't know the difference between stock on the fatbob and streetbob but that seems to be the length you will need to go 10-12" bars

Old 02-05-2016, 09:49 PM
KingBowser
Advanced

Originally Posted by NMfxdf
Did you do +6 on brake lines as well
I did +6 all around. Keep in mind that the lower harness for the brake lines stays the same length (as wheel travel didn't change) just the top part is lengthened 6 inches.

Also the stock HD brake lowers don't work with aftermarket brake lines as they are a single piece (upper and lower), whereas the aftermarket (at least the Magnum cables I got) were 2 pieces.

Lastly, keep in mind that if you have ABS then the lowers are much more pricey.

Here is what you need to purchase:

Clutch Cable
Throttle Cable
Idle Cable
Upper Brake Assembly
Lower Brake assembly

I got mine from Magnum Sheilding. here is a direct link for your bike:
https://www.magnumshielding.com/inde...3&color_id=any

On the upper left hand side you can narrow down the search by color if you like.

I hope that helps. I was new to harley when I learned all this stuff so I had to figure it all out myself (I wasn't a forum member then)

Last edited by KingBowser; 02-05-2016 at 09:59 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:07 PM
Repoguy
Cruiser

I did +6 all around. Keep in mind that the lower harness for the brake lines stays the same length (as wheel travel didn't change) just the top part is lengthened 6 inches.

Also the stock HD brake lowers don't work with aftermarket brake lines as they are a single piece (upper and lower), whereas the aftermarket (at least the Magnum cables I got) were 2 pieces.

Clutch Cable
Throttle Cable
Idle Cable
Upper Brake Assembly
Lower Brake assembly

On the upper left hand side you can narrow down the search by color if you like.

I hope that helps. I was new to harley when I learned all this stuff so I had to figure it all out myself (I wasn't a forum member then)
Cool thanks, my bike has abs and I'm scared to mess with it so I'm gonna have an Indy do the bar swap.

Old 02-06-2016, 05:34 PM
NMfxdf
Tourer

Clutch Cable
Throttle Cable
Idle Cable
Upper Brake Assembly
Lower Brake assembly

That is great! I was curious about the brakes, I knew you had to lengthen just the top, but I didn't realize you had to replace the lowers as well. Did you have enough wire tucked under the tank for the electronics or did you go +6 there as well.

Quick Reply: FXDF handlebar question