Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New riser bolts necessary with new bars??

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 11:49 AM
Seventy4blazer
Road Master
Received 137 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
So try to dampen vibration with a thin rubber gasket, if possible.
what!??!

WHY?!? the bolts go through bushings... a rubber gasket serves no use.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:13 PM
Lama
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Seventy4blazer
what!??!

WHY?!? the bolts go through bushings... a rubber gasket serves no use.
Lol. Yep. And breaking two 1/2" dia. Grade 5 bolts secured by a lock and large area washer through a steel sleeve threaded deep into riser bores is even more ludicrous.

Old 02-10-2016, 03:21 PM
Seventy4blazer
Road Master
Received 137 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Lama
Lol. Yep. And breaking two 1/2" dia. Grade 5 bolts secured by a lock and large area washer through a steel sleeve threaded deep into riser bores is even more ludicrous.
I agree. the only reason I replaced mine when I installed them on my Street Glide was because they came in the urethane bushing kit with loc-tite on them already. One less step and less consumables for me.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:41 AM
sdrawkcabssa
Advanced
Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lama
You could run that Dyna into a freight train head-on at 90 mph and those stock riser bolts wouldn't break. The riser itself would snap before the bolts. But if you want to change them do so.
Not sure why but this made me crack up lol. I appreciate that confidence, I guess I would generally appeal to this type of logic. Just having read a few threads on bolts shearing and noticing the trend of people installing stronger bolts recently, it made me think about it twice

Old 02-11-2016, 01:49 AM
sdrawkcabssa
Advanced
Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Seventy4blazer
If you buy a urethane bushing set it will come with new bolts. Noted is "one time use" on the install instructions.
Are you referring to a specific set? I've researched a few different manufactures poly bushings (which I would absolutely invest in with new bars) and none mentioned coming with bolts. Oh except the Alloy Art "Gooden Tight" bushings with the flush mount bolts.

Originally Posted by Ron750
I suspect the reason the bolts shear is from the amplification of vibration, with the longer length, and increased weight. Even grade 8 bolts shear from that. I know that because adding Kuryakyn adjustable passenger pegs, made my grade 8 passenger peg mount bolt shear off, after a month. The Rivcos with a sturdier base,that doesn't vibrate as much, have been on for 4 years.
So try to dampen vibration with a thin rubber gasket, if possible.
That definitely makes sense to me, and I would at least; absolutely be investing in a poly bushing set while installing new bars to help isolate that vibration.

Last edited by sdrawkcabssa; 02-11-2016 at 02:21 AM.