Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$27.50 Dyna fairing? Yup I did it!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 11:20 PM
Jox818
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default $27.50 Dyna fairing? Yup I did it!

I wanted to cover up the 8" risers I put on my 2002 FXDL, they just kinda seemed lengthy and odd looking, but I loved how it handled and how my arms rested, so I looked into fairings. I went to the dealership about a year ago and saw the price tag of the raw fairing and wavered, but honestly the dealership had three new bikes equipped with the very same fairing and I thought they looked a touch big (personal preference for my bike's style), and all too common. I do live in NorCal and these HD fairings are all the rage, four of my buddies have them installed on their bikes. I wasn't looking to deflect the wind all that much, just cover the risers a bit, so a smaller fairing was what I wanted. I checked the old interweb's auction site and found this one for $27.50 shipped! Well heck, I figured it was worth a try, it resembles the old v-rod fairing kinda.
So here is a picture of the raw fairing installed. I rode with it this way for the better part of a year to make sure I still liked it, and I do.

Once I knew I liked it, I wanted to blend it in and have a more factory looking piece. So I spent about $40 in rattle cans (primer, color and clear) and striping tape (1/16" charcoal and burgundy)
I first sanded the black plastic, then primed it with a few coated. After I had a couple coats, I sanded it smooth, then found a blemish so I primed it again and sanded again etc. I'm sure you get the point.

Once I was satisfied with the texture and primer, I laid a nice even metallic silver coat of paint, closest I could find off the shelf to Harley's Diamond Ice. I was working in a heated room (74degrees) and I actually put the spray cans on the hot water heater to warm them up as well.

I put 4 coats of warmed rattle can clear over it. The first coat was more like a dusting than anything. Then I had to figure out how I wanted to stripe it...

Once I had the charcoal line down, I followed up with the burgundy...

Oh yeah.. That'll do!!

Here it is on the bike. I sprayed it another 6 times or so with the warmed rattle can of clear coat. It still needs to be buffed and waxed to get the deep glossy shine, but its really close as is!

Not Bad for under $70!!! and I have about 30 feet of striping tape in each color, and a near full can of primer, silver paint, and a bit of clear left over!

Old 02-09-2016, 11:43 PM
dirtfarmer
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That came out nice. I think it may be the first fairing of that type I've seen that I did like.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:53 PM
iRider
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 1,384 Likes on 814 Posts

Looks Nice! SCORE!

Old 02-10-2016, 12:23 AM
Kwest88
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you mount it using the hardware that came with the fairing? I bought the same one for my 13' SB and am still trying to figure out how to go about mounting it.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:31 AM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm impressed.Nice job!

Old 02-10-2016, 03:35 AM
antlockyer
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks perfect.

Old 02-10-2016, 04:44 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

That's a great project! You did well on all accounts.

Old 02-10-2016, 05:05 AM
Birddogcof
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome job. Came out great. What did you do with the inside? Keep it the way it was?

Not a bad project for $70.

Old 02-10-2016, 05:13 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,003 Likes on 2,817 Posts

Originally Posted by Jox818
I wanted to cover up the 8" risers I put on my 2002 FXDL......

Oh yeah.. That'll do!!

!
Well done grasshopper. Now ya got it goin' on. I like it.

Old 02-10-2016, 05:42 AM
c-note
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think it looks awesome. Great work dude.

Quick Reply: $27.50 Dyna fairing? Yup I did it!