Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring air shocks on my FXDF?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 01:16 PM
apblingAEW
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Touring air shocks on my FXDF?

So, I apologize if this has been covered (and I bet it has, but I didn't find anything exactly like I'm looking for).

But, a coworker and I were BS'ing about shocks for my FXDF. I expressed how I want to get 11" shocks (1" shorter) but I'm worried my fat *** (215 lb) will cause it to bottom out. He told me to grab some air ride shocks from a touring model so I could "adjust" the height...

SO my question is - will a touring bike's shocks fit without too much modifying? If you adjust the air pressure (he told me he uses a special pump) does it actually change the height of the shock?

Old 02-10-2016, 06:22 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by apblingAEW
So, I apologize if this has been covered (and I bet it has, but I didn't find anything exactly like I'm looking for).

But, a coworker and I were BS'ing about shocks for my FXDF. I expressed how I want to get 11" shocks (1" shorter) but I'm worried my fat *** (215 lb) will cause it to bottom out. He told me to grab some air ride shocks from a touring model so I could "adjust" the height...

SO my question is - will a touring bike's shocks fit without too much modifying? If you adjust the air pressure (he told me he uses a special pump) does it actually change the height of the shock?
Some time ago I put a set of Road King air ride shocks on my FXR. If your friend is talking about those, they measure 12.75" eye to eye. This shock doesn't raise of lower the bike, it just adjusts the rebound for a heavier load.

As far as I know, HD isn't offering shocks that adjust ride height. But here's a thread regarding Monroe air shocks that can do that for you. I had a set of these on for a while as well. The ride quality IMO is fairly similar to Progressive 412 shocks.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ride-done.html

The following users liked this post:
ABQ-Jammer (09-26-2022)
Old 02-10-2016, 10:09 PM
c-note
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Agree with rich. There are air ride systems that let you adjust ride height but not the stock tourers. Plus those stock shocks ride like poop.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:24 AM
apblingAEW
Road Captain

So I looked at that thread... Having trouble getting the pics to come up, but I get the idea and what he bought to do that setup... but...I am not sure I am crazy about the compressor, wiring, switches etc. I would more than likely set it at the height I want and leave it there unless the wife rode with me, which is maybe 2 times a year at most because she has her own bike... That being said...Couldn't I get those shocks and just use a hand pump (I have a special suspension pump for a mountain bike and used it on my front forks on an old KZ) and set it manually?

Old 02-11-2016, 08:53 AM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member

So I looked at that thread... Having trouble getting the pics to come up, but I get the idea and what he bought to do that setup... but...I am not sure I am crazy about the compressor, wiring, switches etc. I would more than likely set it at the height I want and leave it there unless the wife rode with me, which is maybe 2 times a year at most because she has her own bike... That being said...Couldn't I get those shocks and just use a hand pump (I have a special suspension pump for a mountain bike and used it on my front forks on an old KZ) and set it manually?
Yes, you can run them without a compressor. I first installed mine without, just to be sure I could live with the ride before investing anymore time and money. Then later installed a compressor. A hand pump would probably be a bit of a pain or impossible to use, being that I typically ran mine at 90 psi. But I just aired mine from my shop compressor and was good to go!

Old 02-11-2016, 09:03 AM
apblingAEW
Road Captain

OK- well I have an air compressor as well - I asked that before I realized how much pressure they can accept/require. Might keep a pump with my at first for adjustments...

Looks like the kit comes with the schader (sp?) valve and tubing required as well. I'm really close to giving them a shot. Looks like all I need are the shocks and the bushings to fit to my FXDF.

It appears you are running piggybacks now? Why did you do away with the air ride? Something still doesn't seem quite right... If these shocks are so amazing like all the reviews say, why isn't everyone running them, especially for the price?

Old 02-11-2016, 11:11 AM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member

OK- well I have an air compressor as well - I asked that before I realized how much pressure they can accept/require. Might keep a pump with my at first for adjustments...

Looks like the kit comes with the schader (sp?) valve and tubing required as well. I'm really close to giving them a shot. Looks like all I need are the shocks and the bushings to fit to my FXDF.

It appears you are running piggybacks now? Why did you do away with the air ride? Something still doesn't seem quite right... If these shocks are so amazing like all the reviews say, why isn't everyone running them, especially for the price?
LOL, I never personally said they're amazing. At best I would term them as being tolerable. I live in the mountains, 50 miles of canyons to get to the bottom. So I loved that I could raise the bike way up when riding the twisties, then lower it again in the flat lands. But they are Corvette Air Shocks that were built to be used on a 3000 lbs car, They ride hard on a car, so of course they'll ride harder on a much lighter bike. Pot holes can be a bit spine jarring, as can stock shocks. I was fairly satisfied with them at that time. I knew better ride quality was available, but didn't want to compromise the raise/lower feature.

Then one day a good friend brought over a set of Ohlin's that to took off his bike to upgrade to a newly released upgraded set of Ohlin's. He said, put these on your bike, take it for a ride, and if you like them, keep them and pay me when you have it. I rode 2 blocks down a side street and knew they weren't coming off my bike.

The terms I would use to describe the differences, is that the Monroe's provide a "marginally" better ride quality than stock. While the Ohlin's provide a "phenomenally" improved ride quality over stock.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:47 AM
apblingAEW
Road Captain

Gotcha - Sorry, I didn't mean to say you said they were amazing - I just read the posts and reviews and it seems like people really liked them. As far as comfort and handling - the stockers don't bother me one bit. I just would like the bike a hair lower, and for the price, these monroes look cool. And if I hate them, I'm out $75. If I got progressives 11" and couldn't stand the ride or bottomed out, I'm out 250+. The compressor is neat, but I'm not sure I would change it much - I think I'd inflate them to be about 11" and try it out for a while.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:35 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member

If you're content with the ride quality of your stock shocks, I'm pretty sure you'll be pleased with the Monroe's. The price is right for sure! I highly doubt that you'd regret the purchase.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:11 PM
apblingAEW
Road Captain

I'm going to do a little more research on the bushings and fitment requirements, but I think all I need are the shocks and bushings - it appears the other stuff required comes with the kit. Hope the finish on them isn't too poor either.

Quick Reply: Touring air shocks on my FXDF?