Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RIDEMYBIKEMIKE'S 2008 Bob to Bagger build FLDYNA

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 03:53 PM
ridemybikeMike
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RIDEMYBIKEMIKE'S 2008 Bob to Bagger build FLDYNA

Hey all, new member here. Decided to start a build thread to document the transformation my bike has gone through since iv owned it. Started with a bone stock 2008 fxdb with 35k from original owner. Thought I got a decent deal at 6k.

Alot has been done since last spring while riding , but really got to it this winter and made alot of progress.

Il be adding new pics and updates over the coarse of the next month as I finish things up.

Looking forward to positive comments and criticism from the members here. Most of the info I used came from this site. My build will be similar to those before me, but mine will be a little different from what iv found on here

Plan is to build a badass touring style bike with the performance of a dyna.

Bike is a 2008 dyna fxdb street bob w/35k miles the 96ci 6spd twin cam

Old 02-26-2016, 05:43 PM
ridemybikeMike
Advanced

The stock bars and huge awkward seat had to go. Swapped the bars for a set of eBay 12" black 1.25 diameter z bars. Removed signals and mirrors to clean it up. Plan to integrate them into the fairing.

The seat is a harley brand badlander 2 up. Much more low pro than the stocker, but not as comfy. Guess il use the BL around town and stock for any extended length riding lol

Ps sorry some of the pics are recent and show newer mods sure as triples and shocks and such... I will get to the new stuff soon

Old 02-26-2016, 05:50 PM
ridemybikeMike
Advanced

Next I decided to ditch the stock exhuast and picked up a Vance and Hines 2-1 pro pipe off craigslist for 200!!!! What a deal

With the addition of the pipe figured I'd remove the bulky air cleaner and replace with a Vance and Hines naked intake and went with their fuel pak to handle the tuning. Scored the intake and tuner also off craigslist for only another 200!!!

At this point iv only put about 500 in it and it's already a whole new bike

Old 02-26-2016, 05:54 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

I always think it's dumber then crap.
You think by the time you hang all that extra stuff on it,, it's going to still act like a dyna?
Put a set of saddle bags on it an call it good.
If you want a bagger,, buy one. Or get a Switchback,,
I never understood "cool" as defined by trying to make one bike look like another??

Old 02-26-2016, 06:01 PM
ridemybikeMike
Advanced

I then realized that it would be great to be able to pack a hoodie and a couple water bottles for longer rides with the lady. Did some research and seen people running hard bags on their dyna. I personally prefer the look of hard to soft bags. And the search began!

Guess what?? CL to the rescue. Got a used set of bags with latches for 200 . 200 seems to be my lucky number with this thing.

I purchased a set of quick release brackets, but when mounted I didn't like how far out they made the bags sit. Decided to just hard mount them to the fender struts using slightly longer bolts and a metal plate running the entire inside length of each bag. So far it's held up well. Debating about also connectin them to the rear fender for a little more rigidity. Currently doing my research as to which year bag filler from the streetglides will work best for me

Old 02-26-2016, 06:10 PM
ridemybikeMike
Advanced

Originally Posted by JohnMn
I always think it's dumber then crap.
You think by the time you hang all that extra stuff on it,, it's going to still act like a dyna?
Put a set of saddle bags on it an call it good.
If you want a bagger,, buy one. Or get a Switchback,,
I never understood "cool" as defined by trying to make one bike look like another??
I understand what your saying , but when all said and done il have less then 7k in my build. And yes I do believe it will handle better then an actual touring bike. And I'm sorry but I just don't have the money to go and " buy " one of those bikes.

Plus wrenching on it keeps me sain during winter. Everyone's entitled to their opinions and I appreciate your but I'm gunna keep doing my thing. Thanks - mike

The following 2 users liked this post by ridemybikeMike:
1999 Wide Glide (05-23-2016), chasenfins (05-24-2016)
Old 02-26-2016, 06:21 PM
ridemybikeMike
Advanced

Next I swapped out the wimpy stock pegs for a set of kuryaken mini floorboards. Scored those for 80 for all 4. The woman loves them.

On a side note.. does anyone know where I can purchase a large piece of gel that I can cut to fit the badlander seat? It looks great but harsh for any extended amount of time

Old 02-26-2016, 06:43 PM
ridemybikeMike
Advanced

The bike sat this way for the majority of the riding season. Over winter iv began the 2014/15 flhx (streetglide) front end conversion. There's was alot of research involved, most of which I found here on HDforums . I can't remember all the members names who post I viewed to figure most of the stuff out, but FastHarley played a major roll in my decision to go for it. He did something similar, and toyed with the idea of what I ended up doing but never posted about completing it....

My plan was to run the flhx fender wheel and fairing along with the cowbells that really beef up the front end.

It's actually a very simple swap once you have the correct spacing for everthing. I will elaborate more in the next few posts

Side note, this post is now up to date. Today (Fri) I found a nice used set of 2011 flhx 12" gloss black rear air shocks! Only 100 and the guy deliver to my job today hahah. Awesome! Got em mounted but haven't ran any air thru em. From my research on here, should be a nice cheap Lil upgrade.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:10 PM
ridemybikeMike
Advanced

Iv got all my stock parts collectin dust currently. If anyone needs anything that iv removed I can work you out a nice deal.

Iv got , front wheel/tire, mid glide triple trees, SB fork lowers, stock exhuast, regular foot pegs, belt guard, air cleaner, rear shocks, headlight, front fender, SB front axle, and soon il have the stick rear spoke wheel.

Only thing I am set on price is a barely used 49mm mid glide fork brace made by superbrace. I want 80.00 the rest of the parts are best offer.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:49 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Sorry, didn't mean to bust yer *****,
I know a local guy doing the best he can to turn a sporty into a dyna/street glide,
He's still going to have a sporty when it's done

Quick Reply: RIDEMYBIKEMIKE'S 2008 Bob to Bagger build FLDYNA