Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with tank removal - turn signal relo

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 09:25 AM
Twospot
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Help with tank removal - turn signal relo

Well not really removal, but slide back. I'm doing the turn signal relocation kit on my FXDL today. It's the first real work I've done on my bike so I am new to working on it. I have the service manual. First step is purging the high pressure fuel line and disconnecting the line in prep for unbolting and sliding it back.

It seems pretty straight forward but when I disconnect the fuel line, is all the gas going flow out of the tank or just whats left in the line. Prior steps are to disconnect the fuel pump module from the tank plate and start the engine until it stalls. Then hit the starter for 3 more seconds after the bike stalls.

Also the relo instructions say to remove main fuse, service manual says remove the negative battery cable. Does it matter which one I do?

Old 03-19-2016, 09:31 AM
NMfxdf
Tourer
Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

I always just disconnect the battery, I may be doing it wrong, but it made sense to me. As far as the fuel, when I remove the main fuel line I get a couple of drips, the tank doesn't empty. The crossover line, now that's a different story.

The following users liked this post:
Twospot (03-19-2016)
Old 03-19-2016, 09:36 AM
Twospot
Road Captain

Originally Posted by NMfxdf
I always just disconnect the battery, I may be doing it wrong, but it made sense to me. As far as the fuel, when I remove the main fuel line I get a couple of drips, the tank doesn't empty. The crossover line, now that's a different story.
Excellent! Thank you for the quick response.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:51 AM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

You might not need to pull the tank, what year is your bike?

Old 03-19-2016, 10:25 AM
Twospot
Road Captain

2015 fxdl

Old 03-19-2016, 10:32 AM
Twospot
Road Captain

So I can't seem to find what they're referring to in step 1a. And I assume they want me to disconnect the connector otherwise I'll be here for a while waiting for the bike to stall. Can anyone point me in the right direction to where the fuel pump module connector is?

robbyville (03-19-2016)
Old 03-19-2016, 10:37 AM
O-Town D
Road Master
Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Hmm, looks like the MoCo changed the purge system on the newer bikes. On my '010, I pull out the fuel pump fuse first, then start the motor and let it run until it stops after a couple of seconds, then crank the motor a couple of more times. The main fuel line can then be disconnected with hardly any spillage.

However, when you disconnect/cut the crossover line at the front of the tank, any fuel that is in the tank will come pouring out. Best to siphon gas out of the tank first before removing the crossover line.

But as suggested above, after you pop off the main fuel line, slide the tank back to see if you can access the wiring harness in the frame hole before messing with the crossover line. Hope it works for you.
~

Old 03-19-2016, 10:42 AM
Twospot
Road Captain

Originally Posted by O-Town D
Hmm, looks like the MoCo changed the purge system on the newer bikes. On my '010, I pull out the fuel pump fuse first, then start the motor and let it run until it stops after a couple of seconds, then crank the motor a couple of more times. The main fuel line can then be disconnected with hardly any spillage.

However, when you disconnect/cut the crossover line at the front of the tank, any fuel that is in the tank will come pouring out. Best to siphon gas out of the tank first before removing the crossover line.

But as suggested above, after you pop off the main fuel line, slide the tank back to see if you can access the wiring harness in the frame hole before messing with the crossover line. Hope it works for you.
~
Thanks O. Instructions want you to just slide the tank back so there is no need to disconnect the crossover. I'm just trying to find this damn fuel pump connector.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:56 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Twospot
Thanks O. Instructions want you to just slide the tank back so there is no need to disconnect the crossover. I'm just trying to find this damn fuel pump connector.
Forgive me if I'm just screwing everything up here but isn't the fuel pump connector kind of inside the tank?

Old 03-19-2016, 11:07 AM
O-Town D
Road Master
Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Twospot
I'm just trying to find this damn fuel pump connector.
That connector should be under your dash console (on top of the tank).
~

Twospot (03-19-2016)

Quick Reply: Help with tank removal - turn signal relo