Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

red hot dyna pipes

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 03:24 PM
glide05
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default red hot dyna pipes

Here's my setup:

2005 SG
PCIII, no dowload
V&H BSS, quiet baffles
SE Air cleaner.

I'm running the softail map for the BSS as there is not one available for 2005 dyna with BSS.

Bike runs fine, decent power. have not had a chance to dyno since changing to the BSS pipes.
I rarely ride at night, but last night I was out a bit later than usual. When I got home and got off the bike, I left it at idle, and when I returned from opening the garage door, I noticed that the pipes were getting red hot right at the heads (under the heat shields)! As soon as I turned it off the red went away. Is this normal??? I guess they don't turn red enough to notice during the daylight, or I would have seen it before.

Anyone else see this? Should I be concerned? I will be going to the tuners soon. I get no popping on decel, and my mileage sucks (36mpg), so I assume I'm not running too lean - but who knows?

Thanks.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:14 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Default RE: red hot dyna pipes

Your EGT is way too high. That usually means it's lean.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:47 PM
Roadan
Cruiser

Yes, it's normal, sort of. It's air cooled and when idling its not being cooled. It's a fairly thin pipe and3 or so inches away is the exhaust valve which is letting out burning gases. I let my Road King idle in the driveway on a winter night for about 3 minutes once and the rear pipe was glowing and I hadn't even ridden it.Found out later from many others that it is quite common. Just one more reason to not let it idle for long.

Dan

Old 05-15-2007, 07:14 PM
06dynablack
Road Warrior

06 dyna pipes glow also bout 5 or 6 inches dwn from the heads.just a dnload along with se mufflers and se backplate with k&n filter. I was thinking I needed the power commander but see your having red pipes even with it.I do tend to get pinging when run any distance over 85 degrees. so far 20500 miles not burned up yet but may go commander after warranty is gone

Old 05-16-2007, 12:15 AM
glide05
Road Warrior

guys -
thanks for making me feel a bit better about this.
one thing about the canned pcIII maps is that most do nothing at idle.
I'll get it back on the dyno soon - but probably dump a bit more fuel in at 0% throttle just to richen the idle a bit. plugs look good to me - black on some parts, a bit of brownish tan on others, and then a little white - probably created at idle.

Dan - thanks - I'm gonna keep the idle to a minimum - but also test a bit at night to see if it runs a bit cooler with a richer mix

dynablack - that's a bunch of miles for an 06 - wish I could spend that much time with my bike!

Old 05-16-2007, 10:00 AM
Boxjoint
Tourer

I also posted about this a while ago. It is normal apparently. Mine definately does it I am running Python Pipes, Dobek TFI and K&N. No problems running or riding. Idle more than 2-3 miutes and the pipes glow at the head.

Old 05-16-2007, 01:36 PM
Alaska Bobber
Road Captain

Mine doesn't do that. I really suggest you get that sucker tuned. 200 bones for a dyno tune or the cost of burning a hole in your piston.