Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to me FXDL fuel gauge question

Old 04-04-2016, 09:08 AM
jdvorchak
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default New to me FXDL fuel gauge question

I've had my Dyna for a few days and so far have filled up twice when the gauge reads about 1/8 and took about 3.5 gals. Now I understand this thing has a 4.8 gal tank. 2008 FXDL. Mileage was crappy but the air filter was filthy, so I replaced the filter and filled it up. Hoping for better mileage (34.5 mpg). That's not my question. Mileage varies. But it occurred to me that maybe it's my fueling technique. I just put it on the jiffy stand and pump until it shuts off. Look in the filler and it's about 1/2 inch maybe from spewing out all over me. I did try to top it off and got maybe 1/10 gal more until the little drain hole was covered. Gauge both times went right up to the Full mark barely.

Is that pretty normal for a Dyna? in other words when the gauge says E is it really empty or do I still have some gas in there?

Old 04-04-2016, 12:16 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 968 Likes on 731 Posts

What's normal is for these gauges to be inconsistent from one bike to another. If you squeeze out the last few ounces when you're filling up it won't make much difference.
The most accurate way to figure out your range is to use the trip meter.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:29 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Sounds normal to me.

My FXDC had a 4.5 gallon tank. Never took that much, even when I ran it down to the low fuel light. But, when that comes on you've got roughly a gallon left, so that makes sense. Taking around 3.5 gallons or so when you're almost down to empty. After I spewed gas all over once or twice I stopped trying to fill it to the brim.

Around town in mixed riding I got 45-ish mpg, and I'd flirt with 50 at a steady 65 mph.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:31 PM
AKFXD
Road Captain
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

You could fill a small camping fuel canister with gasoline and keep it with you on the bike. Reset the trip odometer and see how many miles you can go before the low fuel light comes on. Reset the trip odometer when the low fuel light comes on, then ride it until you run out of gas. Use the fuel in the canister to get you to a gas station. Then you will know your range.

The following users liked this post:
jdvorchak (04-04-2016)
Old 04-04-2016, 12:32 PM
jdvorchak
Road Captain

I guess there is a low fuel light... I've never seen it...LOL
On my Ultra the low fuel light comes on and I still have over a gallon.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:28 PM
jdvorchak
Road Captain

Originally Posted by AKFXD
You could fill a small camping fuel canister with gasoline and keep it with you on the bike. Reset the trip odometer and see how many miles you can go before the low fuel light comes on. Reset the trip odometer when the low fuel light comes on, then ride it until you run out of gas. Use the fuel in the canister to get you to a gas station. Then you will know your range.
Thanks for the tip. I've often heard of folks doing this but never tried it myself. But that is the only real way to tell how far you can go. Something we all should do with a new bike. I know my Ultra, when the fuel light comes on I've refueled it within a mile and always took 4.5 to 4.8 gal (5.8 gal tank) If my new Dyna is roughly the same I'll be happy.

Old 04-04-2016, 03:52 PM
AKFXD
Road Captain
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

This MSR bottle fits quite well in one of my tool bags.
They are mounted on my fender struts.

Old 04-04-2016, 04:40 PM
66cruiser
Road Warrior

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

The fuel gauge sensor is just a float on a bent piece of wire. How much gas you have when the gauge shows empty depends on the bend of the wire. The last time I had the tank off, I emptied it completely and refilled 1 gallon at a time & noted the reading.. but I still use the trip odometer to tell when to look for a gas station.

Old 04-04-2016, 04:43 PM
lemmeouttathiscage
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Dont trust your gauge. learn to trust your ears and how much slosh there is.

Old 04-04-2016, 04:50 PM
Chekoz77
Tourer
Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

My Guage will be on almost empty but the most I have put in it on a fill up is 2.5 gallons. And I have never seen the low fuel light yet. So I think they are off a little. Even the dealer told me to not trust the Guage and to keep an eye on the fuel.

And YES the fuel mileage does seem crappy on mine too.

Last edited by Chekoz77; 04-04-2016 at 04:53 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to me FXDL fuel gauge question