Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 dyna low rider good for new rider?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 11:09 AM
SonnyJim
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2015 dyna low rider good for new rider?

So to sum things up, I am 23 years old approx. 6'3 190 lbs and I am wondering if this is a good bike to start with. I've never ridden a motorcycle before however I am signed up for Harleys motorcycle school this may. I have my eyes on a 2015 dyna low rider mainly because my dad (he's been riding since 14, he's 57 now) is saying I'll regret not getting a big bike and that I'll get bored with a 1200. Now I have no experiences whatsoever, but I really wanna ride with my paps and he wants me to as well so he recommended this low rider. It fits me perfect and I can handle it decent as I do have strong legs. What are your thoughts? Thanks for reading

Old 04-18-2016, 11:17 AM
WMX124
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Start small, ride the pants off of it, trade it in for something more substantial once you build your skills and confidence. Another thing to consider with buying a new bike as your first bike is that it's going to end up on the ground one way or another. You may think you have strong legs but if you misstep while backing out of the garage, or your footing slips at a light, or you even forget to put the kickstand down, once it gets past that tipping point you're not saving it. It's something I tell every new rider who wants to go buy a brand new shiny motorcycle. Buy something lighter, with better brakes, and build your skills. Best of luck to you.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:25 AM
SonnyJim
Novice

Originally Posted by WMX124
Start small, ride the pants off of it, trade it in for something more substantial once you build your skills and confidence. Another thing to consider with buying a new bike as your first bike is that it's going to end up on the ground one way or another. You may think you have strong legs but if you misstep while backing out of the garage, or your footing slips at a light, or you even forget to put the kickstand down, once it gets past that tipping point you're not saving it. It's something I tell every new rider who wants to go buy a brand new shiny motorcycle. Buy something lighter, with better brakes, and build your skills. Best of luck to you.
Appreciate the reply. I keep voicing this to him as well saying that maybe I shouldn't jump the gun on a new bike, and I have heard a great saying of "its not if you dump it, it's when you dump it" so I imagine that would happen. I've looked at getting engine guards and maybe bags to help shock the fall, but he's persistent on me getting a powerful machine for the fact that I may need to move out of someone's way at some point. Now I sat on a 1200, even a fat boy but this low rider sits comfortably. I haven't made up my mind if that's what it sounds like, I'm just generally scared I guess as this bike is 1600cc haha. We will learn on a Harley 500 for the course, but I know that he wants me to get the bigger bike so I can ride and keep up to him I guess. I put 200 on the bike to reserve it as its the last one for the price I want but I may back out on it. The harley salesmen were even stating that it is a good bike to learn just not to overdue it. Especially for the first while. These are guys who have known my dad for many years and I sort of take their advice highly but I appreciate all feedback as I am open minded to this.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:26 AM
boro
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm surprised that you say the bike fits you, at 6'3". 2 things, ride the bike for more than just the normal demo time to see if it is still comfortable after an hour or two. And, buy a bike that is older or less expensive (than a 2015,) you ARE going to drop it. But, I think your dad is right. The dyna has a lower center of gravity than the sport. I've had both. Dyna is easier to keep up, but once it gets past a certain point, it's more difficult to get back upright. The sport and dyna have approx the same power to weight ratio.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:32 AM
SonnyJim
Novice

Originally Posted by boro
I'm surprised that you say the bike fits you, at 6'3". 2 things, ride the bike for more than just the normal demo time to see if it is still comfortable after an hour or two. And, buy a bike that is older or less expensive (than a 2015,) you ARE going to drop it. But, I think your dad is right. The dyna has a lower center of gravity than the sport. I've had both. Dyna is easier to keep up, but once it gets past a certain point, it's more difficult to get back upright. The sport and dyna have approx the same power to weight ratio.
That it what I figure, I figured I'd buy something to beat up and that I won't worry about dumping so much. I sat on the low rider and I could stretch out and lounge, which compared to some of the other bikes didn't feel as such. Also I should mention that I live in Calgary Alberta, and the mountains are roughly 3-4 hours away and I'd definitely want a good cruiser to hit the mountains and travel with.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:38 AM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 824 Posts

I really hate to say this, but your dad is giving you bad advice. Start on something smaller first. And as far as the "it's not if you're gonna drop it, it's when you're gonna drop it" comment. If you really think that's the truth, stay off a motorcycle. No reason to think that way at all. When I got my driver's license, I didn't automatically think "well, someday I'm gonna wreck this car". I've been riding since 1966 and haven't "dropped" one yet. Not counting the dirt bikes I used to ride. I would really hate to ride thinking "I'm gonna fall on this thing sooner or later, I just don't know when".

Last edited by hd4evr2008; 04-18-2016 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:40 AM
skooli
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My opinion on the matter is that you should ride a bike that's powerful enough that you will respect it. That being said, a 1200 is no slouch, but you're kind of a big dude for a Sporty. There probably will be people that post up saying that they're 6'7", 250lbs and love their Sporty, but most big guys are gonna feel like the bike is too small. If you like the Dyna, buy a Dyna. But start with an in-expensive used Dyna. That will accomplish two things. 1. You'll discover if that's the right size bike for you as it's a medium sized, amply powered big twin bike (and the power isn't so ridiculous that you'll get in trouble.) 2. It will allow you to learn on a bike that isn't quite so expensive. If you drop a bike you bought for $5k (with scratches and dents already) you won't feel so bad. Ride the crap out of it. Commute on it. Go to the grocery store on it. Run all your errands on it. Ride as much as possible and build up your seat time. And if you love the Dyna, trade it for a new Low Rider. I suspect you will love it. Most people that learn on Dynas and move on, end up back on a Dyna at some point.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:41 AM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

My Low Rider's actually easier for me to ride than my 1200 was, due to its lower center of gravity. I wouldn't learn on a new bike, though, just in case you drop it.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:43 AM
SonnyJim
Novice

Originally Posted by hd4evr2008
I really hate to say this, but your dad is giving you bad advice. Start on something smaller first. And as far as the "it's not if you're gonna drop it, it's when" comment. If you really think that's the truth, stay off a motorcycle. I've been riding since 1966 and haven't "dropped" one yet. Not counting the dirt bikes I used to ride. I would really hate to ride thinking "I'm gonna fall on this thing soonef or later, I just don't know when".
I figured as much. I think another reason he's pressuring me too is because this dyna is a good price, but of course it's the last '15 they have. At this point I've never ridden a motorcycle I just go by what people are telling me as far as that saying goes. I don't know how true it is but good to hear that ito possible to not dump it if that makes sense. A sportster I thought would be good until I sat on it. But then again that's all I've done is sit on a bike not actually ride one. He's owned many bides from shovel heads and whatnot, and my dad is big dude so he can handle the 660lbs easier than myself as I am a thin dude.

The following users liked this post:
hd4evr2008 (04-18-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 12:03 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

I've always been a "go big or go home" kinda guy. I learned on a big twin, so I don't see the problem there. HOWEVER, you will likely put it on the ground once or twice before you gain a level of competence. Based on that alone, I'd personally not consider a high dollar big twin as a first bike. I'd go used. Just my $0.02

Quick Reply: 2015 dyna low rider good for new rider?